• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2011 Registry Awards

424 posts in this topic

Very nice run
Coming from the guy who just bumped my Hulk 102-474 set down with his undercopy set, that means a lot. :D

:cry:

I think the introduction of a Copper Age Category is almost justification for sets that were previously considered to be Modern Age winners to be eligible for this new Category.

Posted on 3/18/2011

We’re looking for the world’s greatest sets. Make sure yours are among them, and see if your collection has what it takes! Deadline for set registration is June 17.

Registry Set Awards

Awards will be presented in the following categories:

•The Three Best Golden Age Sets (comics published starting with Action Comics #1 (June 1938) through 1959)

•The Three Best Silver Age Sets (comics published 1960 through 1969)

•The Three Best Bronze Age Sets (comics published 1970 through 1979)

•The Three Best Copper Age Sets (comics published 1980 through 1989)

The Three Best Modern Age Sets (comics published 1990 through the present)

The Three Best Presented Sets (sets with the best descriptive text and images)

•The One Best Magazine Set

•One Collector for Overall Achievement in Comics Collecting (this will be based on a collector’s overall collection of Registry sets)

Take the honors in one of these categories, and you’ll receive a personalized plaque, an icon of recognition next to your set’s Registry listing, and a one-year Premium membership in the Collectors Society.

Overall quality, balance and completion, in addition to Registry score, will all be important considerations when judging sets in competitive categories.

Additionally, collectors with the top set in each set type category will receive an icon of recognition by his / her set in the Registry and a certificate of achievement.

To participate, just enter your set online in the Comics Registry.

Working hard on dial up on my weekends for one of these two now. My Registry descriptions are all changed to my own words and are almost completed, most of my pictures are loaded, I'm just working on my "Easter Eggs"(11 more pictures) and proof reading my new intro. My Registry Set is now becoming more what I orginally wanted it to be when I started it in 2008. :wishluck:

:wishluck:

What do you mean by "Easter Eggs"?

I think he means hidden goodies in his descriptions. :whee:

That's how I took Jerel's description.

Unless he is going to do his own version of Grail's Game, and we win art and other prizes if we find the easter eggs.

:popcorn:

Yeah, it's a little term I coined for here originally for the hidden extras they used to put on DVDs. I feel the obverse slot was basically a wasted opportunity(EvilAsh was a genius to start putting OA in some of his) for not putting a book that isn't related to the series, but still a Joe Hill book that fans of the series might enjoy. So, I started grading otherwise un-necessary books that might have been overlooked originally, but fans would appreciate. I'm also adding the various keys too. It makes everything more like a condensed universe for my title. Granted, I'm definitely not gonna finish everything by the awards deadline, but I'm trying to build a Registry Set like no other and that takes time, with my limited computer skills and dial-up connection. I have a few "new" ideas for next year, I hope the Registry peeps like, to make the look more fresh too.

Yeah, it's a little term I coined for here originally for the hidden extras they used to put on DVDs. I feel the obverse slot was basically a wasted opportunity(EvilAsh was a genius to start putting OA in some of his) for not putting a book that isn't related to the series, but still a Joe Hill book that fans of the series might enjoy. So, I started grading otherwise un-necessary books that might have been overlooked originally, but fans would appreciate. I'm also adding the various keys too. It makes everything more like a condensed universe for my title. Granted, I'm definitely not gonna finish everything by the awards deadline, but I'm trying to build a Registry Set like no other and that takes time, with my limited computer skills and dial-up connection. I have a few "new" ideas for next year, I hope the Registry peeps like, to make the look more fresh too.

Easter Eggs are great! :applause: I plan to do similar things for my sets with my Foreign editions and Simpsons sets.

Very nice run
Coming from the guy who just bumped my Hulk 102-474 set down with his undercopy set, that means a lot. :D

I'm all over the map now days with my Hulk set,..Upgrade when I can. I will have my entire set up-loaded to my gallery by the end of May. With some new Winnipegs, fingers crossed :wishluck:

Again, great run Green!!!

:cry:

Easter Eggs are great! :applause: I plan to do similar things for my sets with my Foreign editions and Simpsons sets.
:applause: That's great! Hey, these things are supposed to be fun, not a chore. I could just lay up and punch numbers for my set with a label description and expect something for my Gem Mint crediblity alone. But, I don't. I want to earn it. Like everyone else has to. It's awesome to see people want to make minor tweaks here and there for their viewing audience. I've felt the awards have been mainly given to the persons with a $$$ Registry set or lengthy run of books. That's great and all, but not really fair to the little guys too. I know. I was out of work for a year and a half while foolishly collecting slabs. I mainly compete in these things for the innovation factor, hopefully inspiring other set owners to expand their sets.

Sometimes it feels like a chore for me though. I can take up to 40 pictures of each side of the slab to make sure it isn't crooked too. I want everything to be perfect for you guys. :foryou:

Definitely not a simple snapshot.

DSC03893Large.jpg

My Registry Set is something I learning from my focus week to week. I imagine I will still be tweaking it well after the series completes next year. I don't ever expect to stop working on it. The last thing I want to do is rush on it. This is my baby.

Sometimes it feels like a chore for me though. I can take up to 40 pictures of each side of the slab to make sure it isn't crooked too. I want everything to be perfect for you guys. :foryou:

Definitely not a simple snapshot.

DSC03893Large.jpg

My Registry Set is something I learning from my focus week to week. I imagine I will still be tweaking it well after the series completes next year. I don't ever expect to stop working on it. The last thing I want to do is rush on it. This is my baby.

That's insane, jerel - why aren't you just using a scanner for this?

Don't have a legal one(can anyone recommend one :baiting: )

But seriously, I like my camera pictures against my background(an ex-girlfriend's Christmas dinner dance dress). I saw Mike's(comicdonna) Golden Age Actions Comics and thought how great they looked doing that against the black. They tend to pop more, imho.

DSC035951Large.jpg

This was the picked picture out of 40. Sometimes I get lucky and only take 12 on one side.

It is a loooooong process I can tell you.

I added pictures and changed some descriptions today. One thing I noticed is that the "Updated" column of my set did not actually update with changed pictures or descriptions. It wasn't always like that was it? Or does the change take a day to register in the set?

I mention it because it doesn't show how I updated the books recently.