• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A few questions from a newbee at golden age collecting

17 posts in this topic

I have always been a fan of Schomburg's art and have finally hit the point in my life where i can start collecting some decent golden age comics.

First on my list is Fighting Yank #23 "I always liked the cobra cover" I know its not the rarest book out there but its one i always wanted.

So looking on CC's website i can buy one for 350'ish. I am guessing the price is due to it being part of the Okijima pedigree. I am familiar with some of the comic pedigree's out there. and know a little about that particular one.

FIG8.120a.jpg

so my questions if you guys have the time would be

1: Does a comic pedigree justify a price hike of that much?

2: That book isn't slabbed but comes with a COA from Hero's stating its from the Okijima pedigree. Should I bother having a low grade book slabbed "The owner says it's a 4.0 but the scans i was sent look closer to 2.0 to me"

3: If I do buy the Okijima copy, will CGC accept that type of COA for provenance?

4: If I decide to send this book in for grading should I send the original COA or a copy? and can i request they NOT place the COA inside the slab" I would rather have it outside the book.

I am only considering having it slabbed for the purpose of having the Okijima tag on the slab.

Also any advice for dealing with cgc on this type of thing would be welcome.

Thank you for your time.

Griff

PS if someone knows where i can find a complete low grade copy of suspense Comics #3 id be interested :)

cheetah, the image link is from comic connect. Perhaps it sold already. (shrug)

Griff, you have a lot of good questions. FWIW, my suggestions are below:

I have always been a fan of Schomburg's art and have finally hit the point in my life where i can start collecting some decent golden age comics.

-I like where your heads at. Collect what you like, not what you think will be worth a lot of money someday

First on my list is Fighting Yank #23 "I always liked the cobra cover" I know its not the rarest book out there but its one i always wanted.

Super cool book with one of my favorite covers of the run.

So looking on CC's website i can buy one for 350'ish. I am guessing the price is due to it being part of the Okijima pedigree. I am familiar with some of the comic pedigree's out there. and know a little about that particular one.

I think most people like the Okajima books for their freshness and page quality. I don't own any yet but maybe someone else can chime in to correct me.

so my questions if you guys have the time would be

1: Does a comic pedigree justify a price hike of that much?

This varies so much from book to book it's not even funny, even among Church books. Ultimately, you have to decide on a case by case basis whether it's worth the premium for you and your collection

2: That book isn't slabbed but comes with a COA from Hero's stating its from the Okijima pedigree. Should I bother having a low grade book slabbed "The owner says it's a 4.0 but the scans i was sent look closer to 2.0 to me"

3: If I do buy the Okijima copy, will CGC accept that type of COA for provenance?

4: If I decide to send this book in for grading should I send the original COA or a copy? and can i request they NOT place the COA inside the slab"rather have it outside the book.

This is my opinion only, but if you aren't going to sell the book anytime soon, then there is almost no reason to slab the book. The only possible reason would be for a restoration check and there are many other cheaper and easier ways to do that. There are better archival methods for long term storage so that doesn't justify it either. My experience has been that the CGC does accept and expect the original COA as proof of pedigree. As to placement of the COA, not sure about that.

I am only considering having it slabbed for the purpose of having the Okijima tag on the slab.

Then I don't think it's worth doing unless your selling it soon in which case, what's the point of it all, anyway.

Also any advice for dealing with cgc on this type of thing would be welcome.

Thank you for your time.

Griff

PS if someone knows where i can find a complete low grade copy of suspense Comics #3 id be interested :)

Good luck with this. A copy should show up sometime in the next 5-10 years and it will certainly break any and all previous records for price / grade.

Best of luck with the collecting. The thrill of the hunt is an awesome thing. (thumbs u

Per GPA, a 7.0 sold for $573 four months ago and a 4.5 sold for $299 in June 2009, so $350 for a pedigree 4.0 is probably in the ballpark, if not a bit high. That said, with that upper left corner, calling that book a 4.0 is probably a bit optimistic. And with the miscut on the right, I'd say that book falls into the fugly range.

Personally, I'd wait for a copy with more eye appeal. There's lots of pedigree books out there and that cover doesn't need a pedigree designation to make it any better.

Per GPA, a 7.0 sold for $573 four months ago and a 4.5 sold for $299 in June 2009, so $350 for a pedigree 4.0 is probably in the ballpark, if not a bit high. That said, with that upper left corner, calling that book a 4.0 is probably a bit optimistic. And with the miscut on the right, I'd say that book falls into the fugly range.

Personally, I'd wait for a copy with more eye appeal. There's lots of pedigree books out there and that cover doesn't need a pedigree designation to make it any better.

Gotta agree. Price seems too high for the apparent grade. Wait for a better copy.

Perhaps try a Want to Buy thread in the WTB section here. Welcome to the boards Griff.

Gotta agree. Price seems too high for the apparent grade. Wait for a better copy.

Perhaps try a Want to Buy thread in the WTB section here. Welcome to the boards Griff.

+1 Over-graded and over-priced. A number of Okajimas are in a poor state. I don't know the reason but I expect a few people around here do. That being said, this one doesn't stand out presentation-wise, like an Okajima. I'd keep looking. I'm sure you could find a comparable one at a con with a little effort.

And CGC will grade the book without putting the COA in the slab. In fact, they won't put the COA in the slab even if you ask. But they might lose it. So I would only send a copy.

I want to thank you guys for the info i really apprecaite it!!!

I dont necessarily need that exact book and will probably make a lower offer on the book "who knows the owner may say yes" /shrug. If he doesnt I'll hunt up a different copy.

@ Diego. yup i never intend to sell any books i own :) I am only collecting books I want to keep permanently :)

but when I do get some decent Schomburgs I will be displaying them :) "I bet my wife can't wait for that lol !"

I guess I am not the only one who likes the story behind the okijima collection. I hope to one day own atleast 1 book from that collection as well as 1 hero title from the church books. I guess I just figured if I could knock out 2 birds with one stone by getting a cool Schomburg with a Oki pedigree it would be win win. but Cheetah and Torch are right. that book is over graded. and I now believe over priced as well :)

I really do apprcaite you guys taking the time to answer my questions on this. and look forward to participating on the boards !

Griff

Great book - and I love that pedigree. The slight premium to own the Okajima copy of such a desireable Schomburg book is so worth it. I love owning pedigree books - especially lower grade or restored copies!! Welcome to the Boards by the way.

One last piece of advice- pray that you're never bidding against cheetah in an auction. The man's fierceness, ability and determination are fearsome things. Much like the animal that he's named after. ;)

+1

Edit: BTW, as another option, you may want to check current ebay GA listings; while browsing I happened to notice a 5.5 CGC slabbed copy of the very book you're seeking. The BIN price seems a little steep based on current Overstreet, but the vendor apparently entertains best offers.

Good luck, and all the best! (thumbs u