• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is with the rabid collector?

75 posts in this topic

If a person really wants unrestricted first access to something that they don't own, then let them give the owner $10 to be the first to search through the boxes ...

... I wouldn't criticize another person in any manner if the only thing this other person has done is impose on my imaginary personal sense of entitlement. :sumo:

There's literally no reason to start ahead of me, you don't know if there's something in box 1-7 that you might be interested in. You have 100% of the collection to go through, whereas I've now got to wait behind you to finish the last 20%???

There's a really good reason you already know--you may pick some books out that I want.

I can see two sides of this situation. Personally I like to long box dive....if I've gone through say 7 out of 10 boxes and someone walks up and sees what direction I've worked my way over from as I get to say box number eight and then they start flipping through box 9 that bothers me...

This side has no merit though and the only thing to be said about it is tough mess. :eyeroll:

There's literally no reason to start ahead of me, you don't know if there's something in box 1-7 that you might be interested in. You have 100% of the collection to go through, whereas I've now got to wait behind you to finish the last 20%???

Serious? Plain and simple the unsearched boxes may have a gem that hasn't been pulled. We would all go for the unsearched box first. I can imagine the disappointment anyone would feel if nocutename pulled out a Hulk 181 for a buck but nobody has the right to complain about any box but the one their hands are in.

I'll give you every post 1993 marvel I have. they were going to a youth pogram anyway.

Not a good typo, lol. Not a good typo at all.

Pogram, program, probably pretty close to the same thing depending on political perusasions. They can still have my comics.

I can see two sides of this situation. Personally I like to long box dive....if I've gone through say 7 out of 10 boxes and someone walks up and sees what direction I've worked my way over from as I get to say box number eight and then they start flipping through box 9 that bothers me...

This side has no merit though and the only thing to be said about it is tough mess. :eyeroll:

Serious? Plain and simple the unsearched boxes may have a gem that hasn't been pulled. We would all go for the unsearched box first. I can imagine the disappointment anyone would feel if nocutename pulled out a Hulk 181 for a buck but nobody has the right to complain about any box but the one their hands are in.

I agree. If there were some etiquette involved, then everyone should be made to take a number and wait their respective turn to go through all the long boxes.

I was at a small con today where there was only one comic dealer (the rest were non-sports and sports cards dealers), and the fat-azz that got to the boxes before me was taking up as much space as he could as he looked. He put the books he had pulled on top of the boxes he had yet to go through and had his elbows out as far away from his chubby frame as he could. I almost had to laugh it was so ridiculous. I mean, really.

I was at a small con today where there was only one comic dealer (the rest were non-sports and sports cards dealers), and the fat-azz that got to the boxes before me was taking up as much space as he could as he looked. He put the books he had pulled on top of the boxes he had yet to go through and had his elbows out as far away from his chubby frame as he could. I almost had to laugh it was so ridiculous. I mean, really.

I would have picked his books up and moved them aside. I hate that kind of mess and regularly take pleasure in doing it to greedy people who try to hog multiple boxes at cons.

He put the books he had pulled on top of the boxes he had yet to go through and had his elbows out as far away from his chubby frame as he could. I almost had to laugh it was so ridiculous. I mean, really.

That's when you start shuffling through the books stacked on top of the box, he'll move them real quick.

I think that if I got there and boxes 1-7 were already picked through, I would automatically assume there was either nothing good in them or the person on box 8 already found them.

Would I jump in box 9? Maybe, but there's no way the other has a right to it!

My 2c

My main problem with that isn't that I feel entitled...it's like I've gone through 1-7 and now I have to wait for you to go through 9 and 10 just so I can???

I remember when I found a collection at a thrift store. I'm sure I was the only "collector" there. I saw an ad on CL and showed up just for the comics. A handful of people walked up while I was looking and said "cool, look! Comics..."

I was thinking, don't go near the Conans :eek:

Everyone else wanted the Spider Man stuff though and nobody but me took a large stack.

He put the books he had pulled on top of the boxes he had yet to go through and had his elbows out as far away from his chubby frame as he could. I almost had to laugh it was so ridiculous. I mean, really.

That's when you start shuffling through the books stacked on top of the box, he'll move them real quick.

lol

Or use his stack of books as a coaster for your big gulp..if you are a girl you can feign comic book ignorance.."What is the big deal it is a stupid comic book!"

At sales my husband and I will use a diversion tactic..

"Oh honey look there are some of those comic books *sighs* that you like oh hell we will be here all morning while he looks through them *sighs*"

He plays the fan I play annoyed girl and if any other geek is in the boxes I distract them.."Look Boobies" "Run with the box honey run baby run!"

My favorite ever yard sales where one where a lady had stacks of books..and she said "Oh they are so old half of cover?" We explained that we would feel terrible paying her only 5 cents a book and we gave her $1 each..She was all "Oh no I don't take charity you folks are being to nice because I am old"

I explained it was worth it and her books were worth it and she was saving us a drive to a shop to buy funny books etc..She really thought her 10 center and 15 center books were just "old junk"OMG the books were so awesome..

Then the other was a gal who had a few Lois Lanes and Archies out for $1 each..I said "Oh I loved these when I was a kid my grandpa always read his old comics to me I loved the stories" She said "Oh well here *pulls out huge box of comics out of her house* These are all my books from when I was a girl, I don't expect they are collected much you know old romance and girly titles but you can have the entire box for oh I don't know $15?" I said "I will give you $30"..She was like "really? I would have taken $5!" I told her I wouldn't gyp her on books and if she had any more to call me. She called me like 2 yrs later to sell her sons books..they were not anything too hot but you know I bought them anyway.

Tempus Fugit's long box etiquette:

As far as I am concerned, you only have "rights" to the long box you are currently looking through.

What if you are on box 1, are we all supposed to slip in behind you and wait for you to get to box 9? I think not.

If you are nearing the end of a box, I will give you the courtesy of leaving the next box open for you however.

Stacking your pile on adjacent boxes, especially the next one in line, is just plain rude, give them to the seller to keep until you checkout.

Why should anyone be relegated to your picked over boxes? Unless they make snide comments, you have nothing to be mad about. You've already had plenty of boxes to yourself. Now its just greed. Mine mine mine. Shame.

Tempus Fugit's long box etiquette:

As far as I am concerned, you only have "rights" to the long box you are currently looking through.

What if you are on box 1, are we all supposed to slip in behind you and wait for you to get to box 9? I think not.

If you are nearing the end of a box, I will give you the courtesy of leaving the next box open for you however.

Stacking your pile on adjacent boxes, especially the next one in line, is just plain rude, give them to the seller to keep until you checkout.

If I'm on box 1, I just got there, so I really don't care....because if nothing else I'll flip through quicker and then skip past you.

The guy went nuts and called me a flipper and was literally jumping at every book I took out of the box. He didn’t stop ranting at me for the entire time I looked through the box. He played the kid card too but she was perfectly fine and having a ball. This guy actually left his daughter on the lawn with complete strangers so he could load up the car that was around the corner.

In the right mood at a convention I would probably laugh in his face and point out to him that he's behaving like a stroppy, selfish three-year-old with a deluded sense of entitlement, and what a pathetic excuse for a role model he is for his own daughter, but that I also wonder if it's something he's at all capable of feeling ashamed about?

Why should anyone be relegated to your picked over boxes? Unless they make snide comments, you have nothing to be mad about. You've already had plenty of boxes to yourself. Now its just greed. Mine mine mine. Shame.

Besides...how do I know if you started on the right or the left? or are looking for the same books I am? Open box is fair game.

Besides...how do I know if you started on the right or the left? or are looking for the same books I am? Open box is fair game.

What I had said was when someone comes up behind me....waits to see which way I'm going and then starts at the next adjacent box. This happens.

I would say without a doubt , every year I attended Wondercon in the Bay area (well Oakland the first year I think), someone would always start digging through the box I was actually looking at. If I was flipping through the front, they would start looking through the back, if I was looking at the back they would look at the front. Drive me nuts!