• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rookie Question on Overstreet Price Guide.......

14 posts in this topic

Help me out...

The Overstreet price guide shows pricing for 2.0, 4.0, 6.0, 8.0, 9.0 and 9.2. How do you determine pricing for everything else, 6.5, 9.8, etc.? Also, do you pay some premium for CGC graded books? If so, what is a reasonable premium?

I am getting into more expensive territory with my book buying and really need to be better educated. Sorry if this is elementary but I am clueless.

I appreciate the info,

RJ

For the in between grades, I just interpolate (i.e. a 3.0 is probably half way between a 2.0 and 4.0 in value). For 9.4+ your guess is as good as mine, but GPA and the Heritage archives will probably give you an idea of what they sell for.

For slabbed book values in any grade, GPA is your best bet for determining if they sell above (or below) Overstreet.

2c

I'm not even sure what value/purpose OSPG even serves anymore...

Selling books @ guide value means they are overpriced and only uneducated buyers buy at guide prices..

:shrug:

Selling books @ guide value means they are overpriced and only uneducated buyers buy at guide prices..

That's a very broad assumption; the guide is incredibly low on many books throughout the ages.

That's a very broad assumption; the guide is incredibly low on many books throughout the ages.

+1 I wish i could buy some of the books i want at the prices they have them listed for.

+1 I wish i could buy some of the books i want at the prices they have them listed for.

I guess I shouldn't have been so specific.

The generalized version is that the OSPG seems pretty inaccurate most of the time both high and low...

It all depends which book we are talking about especially in the case of being slabbed or just raw.

Help me out...

The Overstreet price guide shows pricing for 2.0, 4.0, 6.0, 8.0, 9.0 and 9.2. How do you determine pricing for everything else, 6.5, 9.8, etc.? Also, do you pay some premium for CGC graded books? If so, what is a reasonable premium?

I am getting into more expensive territory with my book buying and really need to be better educated. Sorry if this is elementary but I am clueless.

I appreciate the info,

RJ

also remember, the guide prices is just that---a "guide" and reflect the previous year's market prices..so, the guide is always behind a year but reflects a reasonable display of prices for books in grades...some will argue that some books are under priced/over priced in the guide and actual FMV prices/GPA won't reflect current guide prices...scarcity and demand will reflect true market values...

Do any of you guys use comicpriceguide.com ? They have pretty much every price for every grade slabbed or raw and as demand goes up their prices change. You can even sign up and list your books and it keeps a running total on what your collection is worth and adjusts automatically with the market. But it's like some have already pointed out it is just a guide but it's pretty cool that you can have a $ value to keep up with.

Do any of you guys use comicpriceguide.com ? They have pretty much every price for every grade slabbed or raw and as demand goes up their prices change. You can even sign up and list your books and it keeps a running total on what your collection is worth and adjusts automatically with the market. But it's like some have already pointed out it is just a guide but it's pretty cool that you can have a $ value to keep up with.

Yes, that is one of the many resources that I use. I don't buy or sell there, because selling would take too much time and buying, well most sellers overgrade. But i cant complain too much since it is free (thumbs u

I used it for my first 50 cgc comics but now they want me to pay to put in more lol Being that I already have a subscription to GPA I don't want to shell out another $10 bucks a month for just a database as I can create one in excel for free :applause:

Oh and just to give you an idea of how far off their prices can be at time....I recently picked up an Iron Man #1 CGC 9.2 WP for a very good price...$800 and I believe GPA says current market value is like $850....Comicpriceguide.com shows the value of my book @$1500 so that would be great to use if I ever sell but I wouldn't want a seller figuring out the price of a book to sell me using the "guide" :devil: