• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No more Paypal personal for me. Big Brother came and took it :(

513 posts in this topic

Ok, I'm a bit confused. If they don't want you to use the personal option, why is it there? (shrug)
It exists only so they cannot be federally regulated in the US as a bank. Since those federal regulations are theoretically my rules and the only reason they want to dodge them is to save themselves fees.... Fukem.

It is somewhat ironic that while we discuss the ethics of using the Personal payment option, the ethics of Paypal's avoidance of FDIC regulations can also be debated.

Actually, no real irony here. If you choose to use paypal, you understand their practices. It might be ironic if you were ignorant.

Dan

I like you Dan, a no bull *spoon* dude.

Ok, I'm a bit confused. If they don't want you to use the personal option, why is it there? (shrug)
It exists only so they cannot be federally regulated in the US as a bank. Since those federal regulations are theoretically my rules and the only reason they want to dodge them is to save themselves fees.... Fukem.

It is somewhat ironic that while we discuss the ethics of using the Personal payment option, the ethics of Paypal's avoidance of FDIC regulations can also be debated.

Actually, no real irony here. If you choose to use paypal, you understand their practices. It might be ironic if you were ignorant.

Dan

You'd better look up irony in a dictionary. Knowing or not knowing PP's rules of service has nothing to do with the irony here. Users know PP's rules of service; PP knows the rules of the FDICs banking regulations.

Dan

You'd better look up irony in a dictionary. Knowing or not knowing PP's rules of service has nothing to do with the irony here. Users know PP's rules of service; PP knows the rules of the FDICs banking regulations.

Yawn.

C'mon, the service is fantastic. You want it for free? Argue that they should charge less, or that they should tell you how cute your daughter is, but please. If every seller on these boards excepted credit cards there is a fee. The companies don't exist to facilitate your transactions. There is a level of expectation to receive some form of compensation.

Of course. The point being addressed by me is PP's sidestepping the FDIC regulations by offering a service like the Personal option. If not for the FDIC, I guarantee you PP wouldn't offer the Personal option, or they'd charge for it.

Dan

Yawn.

I know... tough to grasp. lol

This is terrible, terrible reasoning.

lol

lol

But its convenient :D

lol

But its convenient :D

:lol:

Thanks for saving me the time!

Because it's not for purchasing merchandise.

I use Paypal personal frequently. I use it for what it's intended for: paying people back, paying friends for signing opportunities (that they aren't making money on, I'm just passing the fees to them), passing money to family members out of state for various and sundry family business.

Actually, no. The option is there so they aren't a bank and therefore are no't regulated by the FDIC.

Actually no to WHAT? There's no "yes or no" statement being made.

It doesn't matter what Paypal's reasons are for having it, the fact is, it's not for purchasing merchandise, by their rules. If one doesn't like it, one should not use the service, rather than cheat Paypal out of their fees.

Several times through the thread people mention that they don't mind sticking it to a large company.

Unfortunately, lots of people think that. When you have thousands of people that feel that way it impacts the companies bottom line.

When that happens, layoffs occur, cost savings in the way of increased medical co-pays, etc....

People might not think that using Personal has an impact, but I guarantee it hurts people in the end. And often that pain is felt by the workers of the large company.

Ebay and Paypal charging their huge fees and currency exchange rates has a huge impact on small businesses and it effects those businesses their employees and families too.

Workers of small businesses and those who they put food on the table for and a roof over their heads get hurt by big company decisions.

This, too, is terrible, terrible reasoning. This is the heart of capitalism, and why it works so well. If one gets "hurt" by "big company decisions", one needs to either A. learn how to compete more efficiently and beat those "big companies" at their own game, or B. not be in business.

I can't win a gold medal in the 200 freestyle against Michael Phelps. That hurts my feelings, and also hurts my ability to win endorsements, thus hampering my income stream. Is the answer to shoot Phelps in the leg so he can't swim as fast? Or is the answer that I either get good enough to beat Phelps, or I find some other pursuit?

Paypal was once one of those "small businesses."

So was eBay.

Several times through the thread people mention that they don't mind sticking it to a large company.

Unfortunately, lots of people think that. When you have thousands of people that feel that way it impacts the companies bottom line.

When that happens, layoffs occur, cost savings in the way of increased medical co-pays, etc....

People might not think that using Personal has an impact, but I guarantee it hurts people in the end. And often that pain is felt by the workers of the large company.

Ebay and Paypal charging their huge fees and currency exchange rates has a huge impact on small businesses and it effects those businesses their employees and families too.

Workers of small businesses and those who they put food on the table for and a roof over their heads get hurt by big company decisions.

This, too, is terrible, terrible reasoning. This is the heart of capitalism, and why it works so well. If one gets "hurt" by "big company decisions", one needs to either A. learn how to compete more efficiently and beat those "big companies" at their own game, or B. not be in business.

Paypal was once one of those "small businesses."

So was eBay.

(thumbs u

Hopefully the next step in the capitalist economic evolution occurs - a legit-o-mite competing business.

Revenue US$9.156 billion (2010)

Operating income US$2.053 billion (2010)

Net income US$1.801 billion (2010)

Employees 17,700 (2010)

... from Wikipedia.

Clooneython IV made clear about $500 bucks... I still don't feel to bad about taking those personal payments... or that candy bar. :)

My goal isn't to "make you feel bad." My goal is to make you aware of eactly what it is you're doing. What you do with that information is your business, but you cannot say "I didn't know."

Who owns paypal (shrug) Don't answer, clearly I know, the question was rhetorical. They don't give a mess about their employees.

How do you know this? Have you ever talked to a Paypal employee about it? Have you ever talked to a Paypal exec?

Contrary to the CLEARLY popular "screw the big guy!" screwball philosophy that infects American culture like an insidious plague, companies DO care about their employees, if for no other reason than retention. Happy employees are productive employees and productive employees make the company more money.

It's not rocket science.

How this concept got lost in the last few generations is a topic we can't talk about. (thumbs u

If Rupp makes a few extra bucks to pay for school I say go for yours! I'm sure Harry the Ebay employee wont see a *spooning* dime more if I pay the 3%.

hm

So, hey, I need a few extra bucks to pay for school, too. Can I come rob you? I could REALLY use the money.

o.k., What I've learned this week... don't pay immediately when you buy something, and do not, I repeat, do not use paypal. Ever. Phone calls and checks and money orders and months and months of waiting for books. Whew. I'm so glad it's 1978 again!

Dan

Why do you say things like this...?

:shrug:

Is the answer to shoot Phelps in the leg so he can't swim as fast? Or is the answer that I either get good enough to beat Phelps, or I find some other pursuit?

The answer is to take a picture of Phelps smoking pot and put it on Facebook.

Who owns paypal (shrug) Don't answer, clearly I know, the question was rhetorical. They don't give a mess about their employees.

How do you know this? Have you ever talked to a Paypal employee about it? Have you ever talked to a Paypal exec?

Contrary to the CLEARLY popular "screw the big guy!" screwball philosophy that infects American culture like an insidious plague, companies DO care about their employees, if for no other reason than retention. Happy employees are productive employees and productive employees make the company more money.

It's not rocket science.

How this concept got lost in the last few generations is a topic we can't talk about. (thumbs u

If Rupp makes a few extra bucks to pay for school I say go for yours! I'm sure Harry the Ebay employee wont see a *spooning* dime more if I pay the 3%.

hm

So, hey, I need a few extra bucks to pay for school, too. Can I come rob you? I could REALLY use the money.

Bart: Uh, say, are you guys crooks?

Fat Tony: Bart, is it wrong to steal a loaf of bread to feed your starving family?

Bart: No.

Fat Tony: Well, suppose you got a large starving family. Is it wrong to steal a truckload of bread to feed them?

Bart: Uh uh.

Fat Tony: And, what if your family don't like bread? They like... cigarettes?

Bart: I guess that's okay.

Fat Tony: Now, what if instead of giving them away, you sold them at a price that was practically giving them away. Would that be a crime, Bart?

Bart: Hell, no.

It's not rocket science.

hm

You sound stupid. Plain and simple, stupid and uninformed. This is not meant to ge an argument, you are just being naive. Take a few minutes and read back. I actually support Paypal, just not the liberal bull mess that think that finding loopholes is stealing. I think Paypal is right just not in need of pity.

o.k., What I've learned this week... don't pay immediately when you buy something, and do not, I repeat, do not use paypal. Ever. Phone calls and checks and money orders and months and months of waiting for books. Whew. I'm so glad it's 1978 again!

Dan

Why do you say things like this...?

:shrug:

I actually (gulp) AGREE with what you've said. I was being funny. I happen to like paypal and what it allows me to do.

Dan

It's not rocket science.

hm

You sound stupid. Plain and simple, stupid and uninformed. This is not meant to ge an argument, you are just being naive. Take a few minutes and read back. I actually support Paypal, just not the liberal bull mess that think that finding loopholes is stealing. I think Paypal is right just not in need of pity.

No one said to pity paypal. Just don't rip them off. They have rules. Follow the rules or go somewheres else. Sheesh.

Dan