• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No more Paypal personal for me. Big Brother came and took it :(

513 posts in this topic

Several times through the thread people mention that they don't mind sticking it to a large company.

Unfortunately, lots of people think that. When you have thousands of people that feel that way it impacts the companies bottom line.

When that happens, layoffs occur, cost savings in the way of increased medical co-pays, etc....

People might not think that using Personal has an impact, but I guarantee it hurts people in the end. And often that pain is felt by the workers of the large company.

Several times through the thread people mention that they don't mind sticking it to a large company.

Unfortunately, lots of people think that. When you have thousands of people that feel that way it impacts the companies bottom line.

When that happens, layoffs occur, cost savings in the way of increased medical co-pays, etc....

People might not think that using Personal has an impact, but I guarantee it hurts people in the end. And often that pain is felt by the workers of the large company.

This. But rarely do folks think about the people that happen to be working for this corporations. It's always, "Big blah, blah this and blah, blah that."

Dan

Ebay and Paypal charging their huge fees and currency exchange rates has a huge impact on small businesses and it effects those businesses their employees and families too.

Workers of small businesses and those who they put food on the table for and a roof over their heads get hurt by big company decisions.

Revenue US$9.156 billion (2010)

Operating income US$2.053 billion (2010)

Net income US$1.801 billion (2010)

Employees 17,700 (2010)

... from Wikipedia.

Clooneython IV made clear about $500 bucks... I still don't feel to bad about taking those personal payments... or that candy bar. :)

Scum-sucking ditch-dwelling suck-bags! Now, that's hyphenation!

Hyperbole:roflmao:

Nope, I meant hyphenation. The intention of the sentence was literal, but the little marks in the phrases are hyphens. I wasn't exaggerating, I meant what I said!

I think we should encourage companies to be honest about their profit centers. I'm guessing Rupp (and some others on this board) generate some serious float profit for them, whether they pay the fee or not, by the sheer volume of funds sent through the account. Those customers should benefit by a waiver on personal payments up to a certain amount, or in some other way. When a company is screwing it's customers it disinclines its customers to behave honorably toward that company. Corporate dishonesty inspires personal dishonesty. If they're screwing you, no reason not to screw 'em back.

As for the second part of your argument, that hurting a company hurts the workers, well that's true and not true. We've seen over the last 30 years that helping a company doesn't help the workers at that company (except for executive level pay) so there's no reason to expect the converse to be true. If the converse is true, that an ailing company will adversely affect the workers, there's no reason to believe that is the direct result of the actions of a few customers. More likely (and historically speaking) it's the result of cyclical issues, incompetence, stupidity, fraud or a failure of industry.

Revenue US$9.156 billion (2010)

Operating income US$2.053 billion (2010)

Net income US$1.801 billion (2010)

Employees 17,700 (2010)

... from Wikipedia.

Clooneython IV made clear about $500 bucks... I still don't feel to bad about taking those personal payments... or that candy bar. :)

And I agree....when its one Clooneython for $500 the impact is certainly small. But if you consider the one Clooneython and magnify it by thousands of people doing similar activities, it starts to make an impact.

I hope Paypal burns down in flames! :flamed:

Scum-sucking ditch-dwelling suck-bags! Now, that's hyphenation!

Hyperbole:roflmao:

Nope, I meant hyphenation. The intention of the sentence was literal, but the little marks in the phrases are hyphens. I wasn't exaggerating, I meant what I said!

I think we should encourage companies to be honest about their profit centers. I'm guessing Rupp (and some others on this board) generate some serious float profit for them, whether they pay the fee or not, by the sheer volume of funds sent through the account. Those customers should benefit by a waiver on personal payments up to a certain amount, or in some other way. When a company is screwing it's customers it disinclines its customers to behave honorably toward that company. Corporate dishonesty inspires personal dishonesty. If they're screwing you, no reason not to screw 'em back.

As for the second part of your argument, that hurting a company hurts the workers, well that's true and not true. We've seen over the last 30 years that helping a company doesn't help the workers at that company (except for executive level pay) so there's no reason to expect the converse to be true. If the converse is true, that an ailing company will adversely affect the workers, there's no reason to believe that is the direct result of the actions of a few customers. More likely (and historically speaking) it's the result of cyclical issues, incompetence, stupidity, fraud or a failure of industry.

I agree on the first part. I think there may be better avenues for doing so.

As for the second part, I agree that helping a company does not necessarily help the workers, and the failings of a company may not be a direct results of a few customers, but it plays a contributing factor.

I hope Paypal burns down in flames! :flamed:

Who owns paypal (shrug) Don't answer, clearly I know, the question was rhetorical. They don't give a mess about their employees. If Rupp makes a few extra bucks to pay for school I say go for yours! I'm sure Harry the Ebay employee wont see a *spooning* dime more if I pay the 3%.

o.k., What I've learned this week... don't pay immediately when you buy something, and do not, I repeat, do not use paypal. Ever. Phone calls and checks and money orders and months and months of waiting for books. Whew. I'm so glad it's 1978 again!

Dan

I do everything I can to not use Paypal. I will send a personal check in boards transactions if it is someone with a good rep.

I can't wait until there is an alternative to Paypal. I will certainly use it.

Paypal is teh Devil :devil:

How much of that revenue do the employees see?

Misuse of the Personal option is going to end up coming out of the employees pockets.

Lets look at net income: Well at $50k per employee about half of it.

Very true, but this still does not justify stealing from the large company.

That being said, I have used Personal for purchases. I just don't try to justify it.

So your opinion is that companies never "steal" from customers and only customers can "steal" from companies? ???

Company morals are as grey as customers if not blacker.

They hide it behind things like Terms of Service agreements that they unilaterally write up and try force you to abide to ,while they reserve the right to change on the fly.

So tell me, why you think they still choose to do business to someone you call a thief? hm

Ok, I'm a bit confused. If they don't want you to use the personal option, why is it there? (shrug)
It exists only so they cannot be federally regulated in the US as a bank. Since those federal regulations are theoretically my rules and the only reason they want to dodge them is to save themselves fees.... Fukem.

It is somewhat ironic that while we discuss the ethics of using the Personal payment option, the ethics of Paypal's avoidance of FDIC regulations can also be debated.

Ok, I'm a bit confused. If they don't want you to use the personal option, why is it there? (shrug)
It exists only so they cannot be federally regulated in the US as a bank. Since those federal regulations are theoretically my rules and the only reason they want to dodge them is to save themselves fees.... Fukem.

It is somewhat ironic that while we discuss the ethics of using the Personal payment option, the ethics of Paypal's avoidance of FDIC regulations can also be debated.

Actually, no real irony here. If you choose to use paypal, you understand their practices. It might be ironic if you were ignorant.

Dan

C'mon, the service is fantastic. You want it for free? Argue that they should charge less, or that they should tell you how cute your daughter is, but please. If every seller on these boards excepted credit cards there is a fee. The companies don't exist to facilitate your transactions. There is a level of expectation to receive some form of compensation.