• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your CGC hang-up?

152 posts in this topic

For me it's two things: I hate the old modern label and for some reason can't make myself bid on a book with a red/brown label...

Also 9.2's. That 2 annoys the hell out of me. Even if they did take the NM- off the label. I'd rather have a 9.0 then a 9.2.

9.4? Fine. 9.6. Great. 9.2....hate it.

For me it's two things: I hate the old modern label and for some reason can't make myself bid on a book with a red/brown label...

Also 9.2's. That 2 annoys the hell out of me. Even if they did take the NM- off the label. I'd rather have a 9.0 then a 9.2.

I love 9.2 books, the are basically 9.4's with one minor, insignificant defect at 1/2 the price! 893whatthe.gif

Timely

Off the top of my head, things I would like CGC to improve upon:

Please note date stamps again on label

Bring back the letter grade

Need to watch the overgrading on Golden Age books

More detailed graders notes

Quicker turn-around times

Need to better address pressing

(possibly noting within the grading notes when detected or creating a new label)

Need more consistancy on page quality

Re-vamp the PLOD (possibly create a new point system for degree of restoration)

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I'd rather have a 9.0 then a 9.2.

This reminds me of the Seinfeld discussion of the Olympic Silver Medal.

You win the gold (9.4+), you feel great.

You win the bronze (9.0), you think, "at least I got something".

You win the silver (9.2), and it's like, "Congratulations, you almost won."

"Of all the losers, you came in first for that group. You're the #1 loser."

I love 9.2 books, the are basically 9.4's with one minor, insignificant defect at 1/2 the price! 893whatthe.gif

Timely

Hey, it's a hang-up of mine.... confused-smiley-013.gif

Getting back on topic...

My hang-up is non-disclosure. If CGC would reveal its grading criteria, and exact criteria for determining whether a book is restored or not, I'd be a much bigger fan of the company/service.

There are other things that I'm not thrilled about, but the lack of specifics on grading and resto are the biggies.