• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your CGC hang-up?

152 posts in this topic

How much do I hate a 9.2..?

If someone offered me a slabbed 9.0 Hulk 181 and a slabbed 9.2 Hulk 181 for the same amount of cash...I'd take the 9.0 in a heartbeat.

I mean, if I want a 9.2 I can always press and re-submit.... confused-smiley-013.gif

Oh geesh, sorry Redhook... sorry.gif

Getting back on topic...

My hang-up is non-disclosure. If CGC would reveal its grading criteria, and exact criteria for determining whether a book is restored or not, I'd be a much bigger fan of the company/service.

There are other things that I'm not thrilled about, but the lack of specifics on grading and resto are the biggies.

I agree with you, but I have to admit, CGC is kind of stuck in the middle on this one a little.....if they reveal their exact grading criteria, it makes it easier for bottom-feeding wannabee's like CGG to attempt to replicate. It could be considered a trade secret, but they still have to satisfy the questions of their customers.

By the way, I sent in 12 books to be graded standard, along with a payment of $500 on March 3. CGC received them March 7. I called today to see if they had the grades yet, and was told grades would be available in about another week. That is double the time posted for standard service. That bites. Won't do that again.

How 'bout a coupon for a free express grading guys, when it gets THAT late? Something? Work with me guys!

How much do I hate a 9.2..?

If someone offered me a slabbed 9.0 Hulk 181 and a slabbed 9.2 Hulk 181 for the same amount of cash...I'd take the 9.0 in a heartbeat.

I mean, if I want a 9.2 I can always press and re-submit.... confused-smiley-013.gif

Oh geesh, sorry Redhook... sorry.gif

Goddam it Kev, I told you not to say the P word!

Must...not....respond...to....topic....of....pressing....for....sake.....of....the....boards! insane.gif

I think they should really look at sealing the label in such a way that if the book is cracked open and tampered with it is noticable. I'm not sure how they would do it but the current flimsy paper slip that is inserted makes me nervous. Any thoughts?

So I can assume Minkev, that a Red/brown label 9.2 is even worse?

27_laughing.gif

I am also in the camp of give me your tired, give me your poor, give me all your 9.2's

I have no problem with them, slabbed, or cracked open , a 9.2 is a darn darn fine specimen, and would have a place in my collection anyday.

I understand when you see a 9.2 you cant help but think about a 9.4, but cmon, dont be a hater.. 893frustrated.gifgive a 9.2 some love cloud9.gif, it wanted to be a 9.4---- but fell short.

sorry.gif

Dont 9.2's need love too?

flowerred.gif

On the new blue label, the font for Variant info and other additional information is too small. Unreadable on all but the largest scans.

I don't like writing and date stamps on covers - think it should lower the grade.

I think Marvel 'chipping' and other production defects SHOULD affect the grade.

I don't like different grading standards for Golden Age, Silver Age, and Moderns. Think a 9.6 should be a 9.6 should be a 9.6.

The original (and current) CGC standards for VF and above were too set too high versus the then Overstreet standard.

I think the grading differences for everything from about 8.0 to 10.0 are in increments that are too small. There just isn't that big a difference between a 9.4, 9.6, 9.8, 9.9..

What I would have preferred:

Current -> My preferred

9.9-10.0 -> 10.0

(high 9.6)-9.8 -> 9.8

9.4 - (low9.6) -> 9.6

9.2 -> 9.4

9.0 -> 9.2

8.5 -> 9.0

Just MHO, 2 cents worth, whatever. sign-rantpost.gif

I dont know nearly enough about CGC, having just submitted my first books to them (still waiting...) to make a comment here. However, it would seem that others on this board do have hang ups about their procedures. If they havent already done so, perhaps they should publish some sort of a guide, if you will, to how they do things. Sort of a behind the scenes look at just how they determine grades, go through the process, etc...

I think it would be an interesting read... confused-smiley-013.gif

I dont know nearly enough about CGC, having just submitted my first books to them (still waiting...) to make a comment here. However, it would seem that others on this board do have hang ups about their procedures. If they havent already done so, perhaps they should publish some sort of a guide, if you will, to how they do things. Sort of a behind the scenes look at just how they determine grades, go through the process, etc...

I think it would be an interesting read... confused-smiley-013.gif

Thats one read you'll never see... They dont want a behind the scenes expose because they want to keep their companys secrets secret !

I HATE the old cases that allowed the books to shift around and possibly cause damage.

I just bought this book off of ebay..it was supposed to be a 9.4...but the upper right front and rear left corner is severely impacted. $200 out the friggin' window.... 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

What was the CGC party line on this faux-pas again?

1081571143409_thorback.JPG

I think CGC is the greatest thing since the PRINTING PRESS (oops, sorry for the P word).

I don't think they should change a thing.

NOTE TO CGC: I have three high-grade books in for grading. I didn't say anything negative at all. Feel free to bump the grades up a notch or two. I promise not to tell. flowerred.gif

My Biggest hang-up is the fact that those CGC Cats don't give Lucille her Archie Comics Registry!!!

While I've only read a few Archies as a kid, I do confess it doesn;t make a lot of sense to not have them in the registry at this point. Archie is certainly a piece of American tradition.

My Biggest hang-up is the fact that those CGC Cats don't give Lucille her Archie Comics Registry!!!

While I've only read a few Archies as a kid, I do confess it doesn;t make a lot of sense to not have them in the registry at this point. Archie is certainly a piece of American tradition.

did I ever tell you that I love you?