• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your CGC hang-up?

152 posts in this topic

1. [*]Not downgrading enough for production defects.[*]Not using the "Restored" grade consistently across the ages, or more specifically, giving a Golden Age book a Universal label for restoration that would yield a Restored label on a Silver/Bronze/Modern book.

I don't think CGC should downgrade at all for production defects.

Me either.

It keeps the price on the perfect books at the same level as the imperfect ones.

For now, anyway. gossip.gif

it makes it easier for bottom-feeding wannabee's like CGG to attempt to replicate. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Redhook This is What's your CGC hang-up? Not whats your CGG hang up stick with the topic 27_laughing.gif

I don't think CGC should downgrade at all for production defects.

Me either.

It keeps the price on the perfect books at the same level as the imperfect ones.

Not only that ( cloud9.gif ).....but I want the CGC grade to reflect structure, and structure alone.

I HATE the old cases that allowed the books to shift around and possibly cause damage.

I just bought this book off of ebay..it was supposed to be a 9.4...but the upper right front and rear left corner is severely impacted. $200 out the friggin' window.... 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

What was the CGC party line on this faux-pas again?

1081571143409_thorback.JPG

I'm with Jive on this one, that's a peeve of mine as well. I've typically encountered the impactions on the top or bottom overhang as it bumps the top/bottom of the inner well.

I guess it doesn't bother me too much as I now know that these non-color breaking creases or indentations could have an 'un-named technique' performed to resto...., I mean, bring it back, to its previous undented condition. grin.gif

I guess it doesn't bother me too much as I now know that these non-color breaking creases or indentations could have an 'un-named technique' performed to resto...., I mean, bring it back, to its previous undented condition.

You mean they could be restored by pressing out the creases?????????? insane.gif

Were they to do this....would you accept it without notation?

I would much prefer grading subcategories, with maybe production quality being one of them. It seems to me like it should be one, but I'm not sure yet that it shouldn't roll up under another category.

For the record: I don't think CGC should downgrade at all for production defects.

Well, that's nice...I'll let you have the structurally perfect CGC 9.6s where the printing pressman got drunk, took a dump on the printing rollers, and dooky got smeared on some of the interior pages. Here's your first CGC 10.0 book right here! cloud9.gif

inksmudge.jpg

Were they to do this....would you accept it without notation?

I would much prefer grading subcategories, with maybe production quality being one of them. It seems to me like it should be one, but I'm not sure yet that it shouldn't roll up under another category.

What question are you answering? confused.gif

For the record: I don't think CGC should downgrade at all for production defects.

Well, that's nice...I'll let you have the structurally perfect CGC 9.6s where the printing pressman got drunk, took a dump on the printing rollers, and dooky got smeared on some of the interior pages. Here's your first CGC 10.0 book right here! cloud9.gif

inksmudge.jpg

CGC shouldn't downgrade for such a defect.....they should make a notation on the label.

I love that word..

Dookie!

It just sounds cool.

Dookie

Not to get to far off the subject, but...wasnt that the name of a Green Day album?

I love that word..

Dookie!

It just sounds cool.

Dookie

Not to get to far off the subject, but...wasnt that the name of a Green Day album?

Yes.

Greenday rocks! cloud9.gif

Dookie rocks! cloud9.gif

I love that word..

Dookie!

It just sounds cool.

Dookie

Yup. cloud9.gif

" I'm not growing up...I'm just burning out...and I've stepped in line to walk amongst the dead "

What question are you answering? confused.gif

Yours--the one I quoted. I would accept any improvement but would prefer more specificity. They tried notation, but partial notation is worse than full notation, and I think the next step in a higher level of grading disclosure is the same step taken by several coin and card companies--grading subcategories.

CGC shouldn't downgrade for such a defect

Why NOT?!?!!? It impedes the reading of the text! That's a worse defect than a corner crease because reading is one of the two fundamental functions of a comic book, with display being the other.

We're going to have to start a "how to grade exterior versus interior defects" thread again, aren't we? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Why NOT?!?!!? It impedes the reading of the text! That's a worse defect than a corner crease because reading is one of the two fundamental functions of a comic book, with display being the other.

The irony? You can't read a slabbed book. makepoint.gif

My only CGC hang up is Borock reading all the damn comics before he ships them out.

C'Mon, guys!

How hard is it to put a book in a plastic slab?

Sheesh! 893frustrated.gif

I mean...Dookie! 893frustrated.gif

devil.gif

The irony? You can't read a slabbed book. makepoint.gif

Yes you can--you break open the slab, open the cover, and there you have it.

You're going to start a firestorm if you keep up this stance...I can already smell Khaos sharpening up his "you CGC guys are anal-retentive, brainless automatons who have forgotten why you even started collecting comics in the first place" sword. To not downgrade for interior production defects is to go against all grading precedent set by dealers, Overstreet, and CGC...can you go into more detail as to how you came to this stance? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif