• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your CGC hang-up?

152 posts in this topic

simulacrum?

laissez-faire ?

27_laughing.gif, I be needs to brakes outs me dikshonary...

you un yur gosh durn book lernins... howz a comik collekter posed to read theze pozts if you keep on wit dem big wordz!

insane.gif

But I like them fancy twenty dollar words!! grin.gif

Ok, how many of us could spell 'laissez-faire' without a dictionary or spell checker? insane.gif Hmmm. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

......or use the word in the correct context. Pretentiousness is one thing, but being incapable of spelling at the same time?

I knew I should've said "complacent" instead of "laissez faire" - anyway, come on - are you telling me that people on these boards have to rely on a spellcheck program or dictionary for words such as that (which are in common usage, btw) just because they're slightly unusual?

It may be a bizarre and awkward concept to you, but some people actually do know how to spell difficult words and use correct grammar. smirk.gif

OK - not a GCG collecotr - have maybe a dozen - but have really gotten to know them through these boards and the various links to auctions etc.

1) QP - actually this is not a hangup - CGC is supposed to report condition as opposed to aesthetics. So I can deal with a 1/4" white spine on a 9.6 - won't buy it but understand and hope others not on these boards understand.

2) Which leads me to #2 - since in my opinion CGC should plain old report condition, the idea of having even the slightest restoration encased in a blue label is anathema to me. I really do not get it. Who CARES that back in the 60's and 70's etc. people would do a "tiny color touch" or use scotch tape or whatever. CGC should focus on a primary target exclusively - "In what condition is this book?" Anything else they should not report on. If a 9.8 Action 1 has a 1/16th inch color touch - put it in a Purple Label and say "Tiny color touch on cover.".

3) Tracking fropm #2, and the biggest CGC hang-up for me, is that CGC APPEARS to think they should do the thinking for the collectors. If they just use a consistent label color and put the proper notations ON that label - well - what is the problem with that? But CGC appears to think they have to guide the uninformed by the hand at the expense of the informed.

4) To this day I absolutely cannot fathom the concept a "minus sign" was being percieved as a nagative so they dropped the Alpha Gardes. This has to be the - pardon my French - absolute STUPIDEST thing I have ever seen CGC do. Who IS CGC's audience (as CGC see that audience?). Really uninformed people who think a NM MINUS is a book from hell?

5) WHich ultimately leads me to this - Who IS CGC's audience? No - the real question is - Why should CGC HAVE an audience? Why should they take a concept (the Alpha Grade replete with minus signs) that they were just fine about for a few years and suddenly dumnp it because uninformed "collectors" protested?

And in support of that - a question to the Fine Forum Folk - were any of YOU so taken aback by the "minus sign" that you protested its existence to CGC? If not, then who are they now targeting?

Man - that wrings my watermelon!

My hangups with CGC involve more tedious things.

1) Why can't they have a thumbnail picture of every comic that has been graded when looking them up in the census? For examply, they have certainly graded AF 15 so why not have a pic of it when looking up the submission stats for it in the census? I know they have the gallery but that is worthless and the amount of pics is very low relative to the amount that have been graded.

2) Why can't COA's, etc. be encapsulated?

3) Why can't people submit comics online using their WWW site? THat seems obvious to me. Instead, we have to go to another site.

4) Why can't the census be updated in real time? They need to put some serious computer geeks to work.

5) Turnaround times need to be better. Time to hire some more poeple. They talk about the extra cost but they must be making money hand over fist with all of the bulk submittors out there. Plus, they just recently raised pricing. Follow the Bell Curve folks.

6) Go easy on the Wizard relationship too. It is one thing to allow CGC to advertise in your mag but there is no need to tea-bag them in the price guide portion. Has Wizard ever even mentioned CGG?

I got more but am tired and need to go nigh nigh. sleeping.gif

Off the top of my head, things I would like CGC to improve upon:

Re-vamp the PLOD (possibly create a new point system for degree of restoration)

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

and

I think PLOD needs to be revamped also, my PLOD 9.0 JIM Annual #1 with 2 small specs of color touch on spine, is lumped into the same catagory as other PLOD's with major color touch, edges trimmed, and pressed.. etc.. doesnt seem fair to just lump all with a PLOD. so the number system declaring the degree of restoration seems like a decent idea to pursue .... a point off for each trasngression a comic is found to have?

.. albiet the current "Slight A" does address this somewhat.

Hi all

Been reading this (and other threads) for awhile now. I'm glad to see someone, other than myself, raise this point about the PLOD and a new system for resto. Funny thing is, as Poverty knows (and probably FF), I worked out a new system, LAST YEAR, that grades restoration point by point, creating a separate numerical value for restored books.

I conducted a series of surveys and from the responses I received from the dealers I know and collectors I trust, I devised a rating system. Having tested it on the work that my clients have submitted to me, I know it works and is fairly accurate when applied to values and I believe that it would revolutionize the whole restoration marketplace.

Here's the kicker.

I would love to let everyone know how and what it is. HOWEVER, since I am in the process of applying for a Utility patent on the idea and the system, I can't release any details. NONE. NOT ONE. If I do, I lose the ability to patent the idea and since I can't seem to get CGwhoever to take an interest in anything I'm attached to, I'm holding onto the idea until I can bring it to market. If CGwhoever is interested in contacting me, they are more than welcome to do so.

Tracey Heft

Eclipse Paper Conservation

PS

Anyone got 10K (or a portion thereof that they can invest?)

Please tell the chat board why CGC won't have anything to do with you........

.......and remember, I still have the emails.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Please tell the chat board why CGC won't have anything to do with you........

.......and remember, I still have the emails.

Steve

Could you please be more specific, as I'm unclear as to anything that I've done in the past that would legitimately cause you to act in such a threatening manner. In fact, place the emails here and that will give me a chance to review and respond.

Trace