• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just hit a jackpot at an auction. Ethical dilemma, though.

43 posts in this topic

I just got back from an auction on Long Island and what I thought was a nice score turned into a homerun, although it comes with an ethical predictiment.

I purchased a 16 X 20 framed photo of Ted Williams for $175. Its got a JSA COA and the frame is nice, but the glass itself was cracked.

I have some 20x24 plexiglass that I thought would be a perfect replacement so I took the frame apart. Under the photo is another copy of the same picture, signed but no COA and a 8X10 of Joe Dimaggio, Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle, signed and a COA from JSA.

I intend to keep them, frame them them and sell them.

Would anyone return the two I didn't pay for?

depends.

how would you feel if you had been the unwitting seller? if you would have thought "oh well, my fault for not looking at it more closely" then you should sell it.

if you would have thought "hey, that really sucks," then you should probably return them.

i'd probably do the former, personally

Mis-discription of goods for auction, ya that happens, but I'd check the auction houses policy in that situation for answer of what to do next.

If it's buyer beware, then you've got nothing owing to them, or effectively the original owner. The owner has passed all rights to the auction house to present, and sell the goos in the best possible fashion.

I wouldn't return them. I was just looking at some Heritage auctions where the condition notes were based on the painting inside the frame and had not been inspected outside the frame. If an auction house is unwilling to fully look into what they have and make it basically be buyer beware, there may be issues, then it's their loss when something good is found.

I'd say you won them fair and square. It wasn't an example of the auction house making an error in packaging. Neither the seller nor the auction house made the effort to properly examine what was being sold. Also, since the seller didn't know the other items were there, it is unlikely he put them there either, so the person who is really owed the money is probably two or more parties out of reach.