• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

OK, why the concern for an older label? hm

Old label books were slabbed 8+ years ago and probably were not pressed. Some like to buy old label books for that reason and keep them in their old label cases. Others like to buy the old label books, crack them out, press them, and resubmit to hopefully improve the grade. :gossip:

Wow, thread got quiet fast. Have prices started to drop?

Yes, I don't think that 9.4 on the Link will fetch anymore than $75.00 next month. :devil:

Seriously, I think it will be a good barometer for the book. There hasn't been a ton of sales for 9.4's on GPA.

42 pages of discussion for a comic that is a big deal because of a cool cover, has no impact on the bat-universe, etc. we got our copies in various grades (I still can't believe I got a fairly presentable copy for $7 at my LCS like 6-8 months ago) and i think the topic was beaten like a dead horse and we moved on.

I <3 Batman #227. :makepoint:

OK, why the concern for an older label? hm

Old label books were slabbed 8+ years ago and probably were not pressed. Some like to buy old label books for that reason and keep them in their old label cases. Others like to buy the old label books, crack them out, press them, and resubmit to hopefully improve the grade. :gossip:

I know many collectors who want their books to be unpressed so with this group of collectors along with the press and resubmit group of collectors if this book ever turns up still in its old label things could get VERY interesting. hm

If I hit it big in Vegas next month, I'm going to be very aggressive on the clink auction. I've been trying to find a nice copy of this book for 2+ yrs. :sumo:

Btw, a fellow boardie said a 9.8 copy sold at the NY con.

ok, so let me jump into this conversation about 227, and pose this question that I've been trying to answer myself for quite a while regarding my copy...

what would you do with this book if it was yours? I submitted it a few years back, along with a few other Bats in the 220s and 230s... Every other book came back with either W or OW-W, except this. At first I thought I'd leave it, its a great grade, and I can live with Cr-Ow right? But it started to gnaw at me, and I started thinking about a PQ resub. Then that lead to me thinking about a full resub, to see if I can get either grade or PQ bump (it really is a strong 9.6, and I thought maybe it could be 9.8 when first submitted). Then I think the risk is to high to do either (what it I mess it up removing from the slab, what if its damaged in mail, etc...), and I should just leave well enough alone, only to start getting the bug to resub sometime later.... so, what would you do?

Bats_227.jpg

ok, so let me jump into this conversation about 227, and pose this question that I've been trying to answer myself for quite a while regarding my copy...

what would you do with this book if it was yours? I submitted it a few years back, along with a few other Bats in the 220s and 230s... Every other book came back with either W or OW-W, except this. At first I thought I'd leave it, its a great grade, and I can live with Cr-Ow right? But it started to gnaw at me, and I started thinking about a PQ resub. Then that lead to me thinking about a full resub, to see if I can get either grade or PQ bump (it really is a strong 9.6, and I thought maybe it could be 9.8 when first submitted). Then I think the risk is to high to do either (what it I mess it up removing from the slab, what if its damaged in mail, etc...), and I should just leave well enough alone, only to start getting the bug to resub sometime later.... so, what would you do?

Bats_227.jpg

That is a stunning book,and the centering is perfect.I would just leave well enough alone and keep it as a 9.6

'If' you decide to resubmit, just leave it in the slab when you send it to CGC.

I would not chance removing it myself. Great book but the CR/OW would bug me. I would resubmit it, but just once.

Bats_227.jpg

That is a stunning book,and the centering is perfect.I would just leave well enough alone and keep it as a 9.6

I agree with this recommendation.

Sounds to me like it's a keeper when you call it 'my copy', so....

:gossip:the quality of the pages doesn't actually change, only the words on the label change

:gossip: the quality of the pages doesn't actually change, only the words on the label change

very true, and I want to be ok with it, I do!... but damn that blue label and what it tells me to think! :frustrated:

lol

Tough call. I had a similar predicament and decided to keep the book as is after consulting with an expert. My biggest concern was there is always a chance that it could come back a lower grade. I'd personally keep it the way it is as it is stunning.

:gossip: the quality of the pages doesn't actually change, only the words on the label change

very true, and I want to be ok with it, I do!... but damn that blue label and what it tells me to think! :frustrated:

lol

Enjoy the book, and not the label. :cloud9:

Gorgeous copy. Personally if I were you, I'd feel sorry for cujo having looked for two years for a copy and sell it to him. :baiting::grin:

Did you analyze the book before submissio re: PQ and come to a different conclusion? Other than what other books in the batch got do you have any other basis to believe it will get better PQ on a re-sub?

Did you analyze the book before submissio re: PQ and come to a different conclusion? Other than what other books in the batch got do you have any other basis to believe it will get better PQ on a re-sub?

all of the Bat books I mentioned came from same OO collection, so storage of the books should have been consistent. I personally had most of the books at OW-W, just a few at W. None, I thought, were at CR-OW. It is funny (not ha-ha funny) that of ALL of the books from this one collection (all together I have about 120 or so from same collection), this was the only one that came back CR-OW

all of the Bat books I mentioned came from same OO collection, so storage of the books should have been consistent. I personally had most of the books at OW-W, just a few at W. None, I thought, were at CR-OW. It is funny (not ha-ha funny) that of ALL of the books from this one collection (all together I have about 120 or so from same collection), this was the only one that came back CR-OW

The storage conditions aren't the only factor to consider.

The paper stock can also differ from issue to issue and this particularly seems the case for DC's.

yup. A bad role of paper can give a book bad PQ right off the bat on some books. I have bought a large collection in the past with 99% white and a few ow and cream in there. They were all bought and stored together so there is a small variant in the PQ from production.