• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

I've actually been following this book in the lower, raw grades on eBay. High grade copies aside, the lower raw copies appear to sell surprisingly well also compared to other Batman keys.

My opinion, I think most real collectors know that this book should not be more significant to the other Bronze keys, but the fact of the matter is, it definitely is right now. I don't see this changing any time soon. For better or for worse, I've found that this book gets a lot of outside press that makes it the unofficial representative or "face" of when Bats returned to his gothic roots, even though it was not this exact issue that started the trend away from camp. What I mean by outside press is that this cover has been showned or mentioned in numberous articles about either Batman or O'Neil/Adams, Levitz's giant "75 Years of DC comics" has a full page spread showcasing this cover, HBO's "The Pych. of Batman" used this cover in the program when discussing his dark roots. This program was latered included in the movie DVD, creating yet even more exposure. There's a few other references as well, but I can't think of them off the top of my head right now. What I'm trying to say is, as long as this book keeps getting advertised like this, people will always want it.

Yes, definitely the quintessential bronze Gothic Batman cover that transcends Adams fan boy interest. No doubt about it.

Badass covers are always in demand. (thumbs u :devil: (thumbs u

+1

Part of this is due to slabbing, IMHO, since all you see are the covers in the plastic case. Buy the trades if you want to read a book. :devil:

I got the 8.5, I was surprised to win it, nobody else bid on it in the final 12 hours.... not sure if I paid too much, or the market price... whatever that means on this book. It's definitely a keeper for me either way, happy to have got one one now, no need to look anymore.... I gave up trying to get a 9.0, 9.2. etc.... prices are getting out of hand (ridiculous?) on those.

There's one 8.5 on e-bay right now for $380.00 but doesn't have the eye appeal of this one.

I've actually been following this book in the lower, raw grades on eBay. High grade copies aside, the lower raw copies appear to sell surprisingly well also compared to other Batman keys.

My opinion, I think most real collectors know that this book should not be more significant to the other Bronze keys, but the fact of the matter is, it definitely is right now. I don't see this changing any time soon. For better or for worse, I've found that this book gets a lot of outside press that makes it the unofficial representative or "face" of when Bats returned to his gothic roots, even though it was not this exact issue that started the trend away from camp. What I mean by outside press is that this cover has been showned or mentioned in numberous articles about either Batman or O'Neil/Adams, Levitz's giant "75 Years of DC comics" has a full page spread showcasing this cover, HBO's "The Pych. of Batman" used this cover in the program when discussing his dark roots. This program was latered included in the movie DVD, creating yet even more exposure. There's a few other references as well, but I can't think of them off the top of my head right now. What I'm trying to say is, as long as this book keeps getting advertised like this, people will always want it.

Yes, definitely the quintessential bronze Gothic Batman cover that transcends Adams fan boy interest. No doubt about it.

Here's the example from Levitz's oversized book. Compared to how much space is dedicated to Tec 402 and Bats 232, how can you NOT want this book :)

bats227_75years.jpg

Edited by Brian48

Here's the example from Levitz's oversized book. Compared to how much space is dedicated to Tec 402 and Bats 232, how can you NOT want this book :)

bats227_75years.jpg

I dig the Tec 402 cover, too. Never have been a big fan of the 232 cover, although the story is good.

bats227_75years.jpg

They couldn't find a nicer copy of #227 to photograph for the book? That spine stress is making me cringe. doh!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BATMAN-227-DC-70-NEAL-ADAMS-cover-swipe-Detective-Comics-31-NICE-/220865081496?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item336c95b098

This copy presents extremely well, went about $80 more than what I thought it would fetch.

Wow. $307 for a raw copy that might not even grade as an 7.5-8.0. Personally, I would have probably spent just a liitle more and have gotten that other 8.5 for a little under $400 if I was going to bid that much. At least with that, you know what the actual grade is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BATMAN-227-DC-70-NEAL-ADAMS-cover-swipe-Detective-Comics-31-NICE-/220865081496?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item336c95b098

This copy presents extremely well, went about $80 more than what I thought it would fetch.

Wow. $307 for a raw copy that might not even grade as an 7.5-8.0. Personally, I would have probably spent just a liitle more and have gotten that other 8.5 for a little under $400 if I was going to bid that much. At least with that, you know what the actual grade is.

Depends on how generously CGC treats the chipping. I have had Marvels with small chips on the left edge of the back cover come back 8.5/9.0.

That being said, I agree that the buyer is taking a more risky approach to landing a nice copy. Add in $40 or so for grading fees and shipping, and they probably would have been better off making an offer of $350 for the slabbed 8.5.

i doesn't look like a chip to me, looks like a tear that has been dog eared, surprise the seller didn't try to flip it back to present better.

That's how I see it as well. Kudos to the seller for being proactive on showing the biggest fault on the book! (thumbs u