• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

It's definitely a seller's market on early bronze bats book right now. I'll certainly be contributing to the final sales price on your 225. Not sure if I'll be able to commit though. There's a couple of nice 9.8's on the comiclink auction that I'm seriously considering.

This is my sig.There are many like it but this one is mine.

Oakman, you've got a fantastic signature. I think I'll go home and watch Full Metal Jacket tonight.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Today... is Christmas! There will be a magic show at zero-nine-thirty! Chaplain Charlie will tell you about how the free world will conquer Communism with the aid of God and a few Marines! God has a hard-on for Marines because we kill everything we see! He plays His games, we play ours! To show our appreciation for so much power, we keep heaven packed with fresh souls! God was here before the Marine Corps! So you can give your heart to Jesus, but your belongs to the Corps! Do you ladies understand?

This is my sig.There are many like it but this one is mine.

Oakman, you've got a fantastic signature. I think I'll go home and watch Full Metal Jacket tonight.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Today... is Christmas! There will be a magic show at zero-nine-thirty! Chaplain Charlie will tell you about how the free world will conquer Communism with the aid of God and a few Marines! God has a hard-on for Marines because we kill everything we see! He plays His games, we play ours! To show our appreciation for so much power, we keep heaven packed with fresh souls! God was here before the Marine Corps! So you can give your heart to Jesus, but your belongs to the Corps! Do you ladies understand?

(worship)

The problem with #227 is I'm up against "Adams collectors", "key" collectors and god knows who else.

Damnit people I just want to complete my Bat run :sumo:

if you are specifically chasing 9.4 or higher then you can add the nutty high grade DC collectors out there. If this was a Marvel book, then you wouldn't have to worry until it is 9.6. Bronze marvels are much more plentiful in grade lower than 9.6 in general. It doesn't help you all that Neal Adams Batman/TEC books in general have darker colors on all the covers which make all the ticks and creases impossible to hide or blend in with the white background.

I think only one bronze Neal Adams batman/tec cover has a white background.

Edited by etanick

This book is hot. With some thanks to this forum. It has been talked up a lot, in many various threads. Plus, it just looks awesome. Many just want one of the best they can afford. Most of us can not afford a 9.4 and above, so we get a good looking 8.5 or 9.0.

The book is just hot right now. A year from now? Who knows. Could be cooler or even hotter. My guess is hotter.

I suggest that if you have a high grade one, sell it now. There are buyers waiting. But in six months you will be wanting one for yourself again. If you have more than one right now, then you are in the cat bird seat. Make a nice profit and still have one in your collection.

It could cool off. But I'm thinking not.

Ok, you guys have convinced me and I'm in selling mode anyway. My CGC 9.2 undercopy of Bats #227 will be offered soon for sale and one of you guys will take it home. Stay tuned.

Tec 396 or BM 255?

i say TEC 396 is the "easy" white cover

Batman 255 to me has the problem of being square bound and that spine is tough to find in NM+ shape.

Bats #255 is tougher, but there are still a decent amount of copies of both. I may have to put my 9.6 #255 up now if Adams Batbooks keep rising.

Mind you, this rise is not just for the Bats/Tecs. I have done better than expected over the past couple of months with my Adams GLs as well.

Ok, you guys have convinced me and I'm in selling mode anyway. My CGC 9.2 undercopy of Bats #227 will be offered soon for sale and one of you guys will take it home. Stay tuned.

Where is that Calvin and Hobbes CGC 9.2 cartoon Tim posted a while back when you need it? :devil:

This book is hot. With some thanks to this forum. It has been talked up a lot, in many various threads. Plus, it just looks awesome. Many just want one of the best they can afford. Most of us can not afford a 9.4 and above, so we get a good looking 8.5 or 9.0.

The book is just hot right now. A year from now? Who knows. Could be cooler or even hotter. My guess is hotter.

I suggest that if you have a high grade one, sell it now. There are buyers waiting. But in six months you will be wanting one for yourself again. If you have more than one right now, then you are in the cat bird seat. Make a nice profit and still have one in your collection.

But you know, I think this is also about supply and demand as well as perception. If multiple copies come up for sale in a competitive fashion I'd say it will drive the price down. In my case, if I would have seen multiple copies out there I might have held off on my purchase. Also, an appearance of increased supply would have impacted my purchasing decision. On the other hand, if there are enought buyers out there who can absorb the available copies the price may only go up. :wishluck:

Of course, YMMV. I'm now trying to engage with the community a bit more so I can obtain more intelligence on my future purchases. :)

The current action on Batman #227 reminds me of one of the big run up ins GL #76 prices. Even though the market was relatively flooded with VF or better copies, the prices kept rising in both cases and held fairly well.

I think it depends on how well the Dark Night Rises will do this year and whether DC can sustain the quality of it's current Batman related titles. If Rock Steady can also produce another quality Arkham sequel, that will definitely keep the interest up too. I don't keep up with the current industry that much, but it's obvious the Batman franchise is number one right now when it comes to cross media exposure.

I've only returned to this hobby this past year and a lot of it has been due to my interest being peaked by:

1) The Dark Knight was the best superhero movie I've ever seen (note: Bats 227 makes a flash appearance in the DVD/BluRay documentary)

2) I'm a PC gamer and Batman: Arkham Asylum just blew away with how well it was implemented and executed. Still play it along with BM: Arkham City today.

3) Picked up a few of the collected trades and was very impressed by how well the stories are written these days.

All this got be interested in collecting Bats again after 30 years. The O'Neil/Adams run was from my generation so that was/is my starting point and for varying reasons, issue 227 has become the symbol of the run.

Of course, it helps that I'm not a kid anymore and have access to more disposable income these days :)

The current action on Batman #227 reminds me of one of the big run up ins GL #76 prices. Even though the market was relatively flooded with VF or better copies, the prices kept rising in both cases and held fairly well.
Big diffrence in book GL 76 is a key book the bats is just a awesome cover

Agreed, but there are so many copies of GL #76 out there in 8.0 - 9.0 that I am surprised the prices have held up so well.

FWIW, I personally think that Batman #232 should be the most valuable Adams Batbook due to its significance, but the market feels otherwise........ doh!

Agreed, but there are so many copies of GL #76 out there in 8.0 - 9.0 that I am surprised the prices have held up so well.

FWIW, I personally think that Batman #232 should be the most valuable Adams Batbook due to its significance, but the market feels otherwise........ doh!

Agree heck even the tec 400 has it arguments