• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

Does anyone happen to know what has been the most ever paid for a Batman 232 9.8 and versus a Batman 227 9.8??

Im always interested in apples to apples of key books. Of course htis would be the same if we were talking 9.2 vs. 9.2 and so on

I know big collectors pay high premiums on some of these rare books therefore skewing the possible values. is a 232 overall more valuable than a 227?

Both books are beautiful so the financial aspect is my interest not the preference or opinion but is there factual info to back the value claims?

Both are winners in the case for sure (thumbs u

Highest recorded 9.8 on GPA for Bats #232 is a movie hype fueled 4K in 2007. This year the highest is 1.8K. (thumbs u

So with 2 books 9.8 Bats 227 selling at $10M and $6600 and a 9.8 Bats 232 selling at $1.8M,

would it be safe to say that 227 is a more valuable book apples to apples?????

Im looking for evidence to support the claim based on fact not opinions.

Either way doesnt matter as my goal is to be 100% unbiased....

thanks for the 1.8M fact :)

Bats 227 is the more valuable book.

If you want evidence, this is a good place to start:

http://comics.gpanalysis.com

Thanks. I met a dealer that told me 232 is key and more valuable apples to apples in gtrade and that 227 is not key it is only a cool cover and one person paying a premium price doesnt mean its more valuable

So i have been investigating

In my opinion the dealer is right.

#232 is a 1st appearance of a major Batman villain. Its also part of a very good story arc with a Neal Adams cover.

#227 is a cover swipe by a great artist. However the internal story is lame. The strength of #227 is Neal Adams and the cover.

2c

I don't think any Batman or Adams fan would dispute this. The shorter supply of Bats 227 in high grade dictates things for now.

Where or what links can i find that proves the 227other has sold for more than 232?????

Im looking for factual evidence .....

It's unfortunate that CL does not allow access to their auction history, but here are few that I tracked over the last 2 years. Some boarders here who may have participated in some of these can vouch for the winning bids and date.

clink_track.jpg

Does anyone happen to know what has been the most ever paid for a Batman 232 9.8 and versus a Batman 227 9.8??

Im always interested in apples to apples of key books. Of course htis would be the same if we were talking 9.2 vs. 9.2 and so on

I know big collectors pay high premiums on some of these rare books therefore skewing the possible values. is a 232 overall more valuable than a 227?

Both books are beautiful so the financial aspect is my interest not the preference or opinion but is there factual info to back the value claims?

Both are winners in the case for sure (thumbs u

Highest recorded 9.8 on GPA for Bats #232 is a movie hype fueled 4K in 2007. This year the highest is 1.8K. (thumbs u

So with 2 books 9.8 Bats 227 selling at $10M and $6600 and a 9.8 Bats 232 selling at $1.8M,

would it be safe to say that 227 is a more valuable book apples to apples?????

Im looking for evidence to support the claim based on fact not opinions.

Either way doesnt matter as my goal is to be 100% unbiased....

thanks for the 1.8M fact :)

Bats 227 is the more valuable book.

If you want evidence, this is a good place to start:

http://comics.gpanalysis.com

Thanks. I met a dealer that told me 232 is key and more valuable apples to apples in gtrade and that 227 is not key it is only a cool cover and one person paying a premium price doesnt mean its more valuable

So i have been investigating

In my opinion the dealer is right.

#232 is a 1st appearance of a major Batman villain. Its also part of a very good story arc with a Neal Adams cover.

#227 is a cover swipe by a great artist. However the internal story is lame. The strength of #227 is Neal Adams and the cover.

2c

I don't think any Batman or Adams fan would dispute this. The shorter supply of Bats 227 in high grade dictates things for now.

Where or what links can i find that proves the 227other has sold for more than 232?????

Im looking for factual evidence .....

A $10 subscription to http://comics.gpanalysis.com will show you the proof, as mentioned several posts above. Bats 227 is much tougher to find in 9.0+ grades, probably the biggest reason it is more expensive in the high grades. It appears to level off to near equal value in 6.0 or so.

As far as being a key, like others have mentioned, the 232 is a much more significant book, but the cover of the 227 is stunning and arguably the best of the entire bronze age.

For my personal experience, it was pretty tough trying to get the 227. Getting the 232 was relatively easier.

I think, at present moment, its pretty much the supply that is supporting the price on 227. In the long run, the price on 227 will probably slowly ease down.

I know that it is just a personal preference. But I won't blink to spend hundreds of dollars on a 227. But I do not own a 232, because it just not appeal to me as something I need to own. A 232 could join my collection, at a significantly reduced price than is currently feasible.

There are of course, those that think in the exact oppostie way. That is why ice cream comes in chocolate, vanilla and strawberry.

For my personal experience, it was pretty tough trying to get the 227. Getting the 232 was relatively easier.

I think, at present moment, its pretty much the supply that is supporting the price on 227. In the long run, the price on 227 will probably slowly ease down.

It is the opposite for me. I have had a monster difficult time trying to find a nice raw high grade 232 for years now. I found a few 227 but I haven't had any luck with 232.

Of course I can always just go and buy a 9.2 or 9.4 slab and be done but the hunt is fun :)

It is the opposite for me. I have had a monster difficult time trying to find a nice raw high grade 232 for years now. I found a few 227 but I haven't had any luck with 232.

Of course I can always just go and buy a 9.2 or 9.4 slab and be done but the hunt is fun :)

For me it has been the opposite. I do not own a HG raw or slabbed 232 as I have no trouble finding them, but I have kept my lag CGC 9.2 copy of 227 as I have not found one as nice since then. On the flip side, while I know 222 is supposed to be tough in HG, I have had no problem finding nice copies (including a 9.4).

Edited by kimik

my problem is that I do not live in the States thus making it extremely difficult to buy back issues. There is very few collectors here or stores or even conventions. So buying raw copies from the internet is risky, and therefore closing down one avenue of hunting.

Only solution is to buy CGC slabs, as at least there is a third party assurance that book is graded properly and free from major defects. Makes the hunt rather expensive but this is a hobby, helps to pass the time lol.

I had a 9.6 Adams Bats in an old CGC holder on ebay last month at a price well above GPA (there were only 2 copies in 9.8), and it sold much faster than I would have expected. My best guess on the transaction was that the buyer was looking for the old labels as a better candidate for pressing and an uptick to 9.8, and if it didn't work out, they were only out the sub fees. Downside would be a downtick in grades, but that is the game, right?

Same thing happened in NGC slabs with coins...