• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

With this much attention going towards any type of Neal Adams Detective or Batman title, I'm actually astounded there seems to be very little (comparatively speaking) interest in Adams's Brave and the Bold run. No one seems really interested in this title as much as the other two standalone books. With the exception of BB #85 getting a little attention every now and then due to the 1st Adams Green Arrow, it's very quiet.

There's an absolutely beautiful BB #79 (No, it's not mine) over at Heritage that seems to be ignored. I consider this book an early BA key.

With this much attention going towards any type of Neal Adams Detective or Batman title, I'm actually astounded there seems to be very little (comparatively speaking) interest in Adams's Brave and the Bold run. No one seems really interested in this title as much as the other two standalone books. With the exception of BB #85 getting a little attention every now and then due to the 1st Adams Green Arrow, it's very quiet.

There's an absolutely beautiful BB #79 (No, it's not mine) over at Heritage that seems to be ignored. I consider this book an early BA key.

Brian48,

You are right! The BB85 is so UNDERVALUED in terms of price and visual real estate at shows. because of exactly what you are saying Im trying to put together the first ever foreign version set of BB85. Its proving a difficult task even with any offer of cost to source.....

get how BB85 (first Adam's Green Arrow, but really its the introduction of the "modern" Green Arrow) could be a pseudo-key.

What's the significance of BB 85?

first modern green arrow and first Neal Adams makes it a key...

I think the GL76 makes BB85 a red headed step child that is always overlooked in terms of key and just a plain great cover....

In foreign terms, the GL76 versions are easily available, and the BB85 is not making it more obscure and in terms maybe more valuable as a collector....

but that is only my opinion :cloud9:

I personally like BB 79 better and view it in the same light as Tec 395. Where it "all started" so to speak.

I tend to ignore World's Finest 175/176 mainly because they were so horrible and clearly '60s camp despite having Adams involved in the artwork.

first modern green arrow and first Neal Adams makes it a key...

I think the GL76 makes BB85 a red headed step child that is always overlooked in terms of key and just a plain great cover....

In foreign terms, the GL76 versions are easily available, and the BB85 is not making it more obscure and in terms maybe more valuable as a collector....

but that is only my opinion :cloud9:

ACK meant what makes te BB79 key?

the 85 I get (1st modern GA)

The 9.4 ow/w just ended.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BATMAN-227-CGC-9-4-NEAR-MINT-OW-WHITE-CLASSIC-COVER-NEAL-ADAMS-DC-COMICS-/130951952601?ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:3160&autorefresh=true#ht_3743wt_1281

I guess the ow/w pages held it back. Those white page only snobs. :makepoint::devil: Congrats to the winner.

my ebay search is for spoon. never saw this auction.

I know where a 227 is for $15. But it makes me want to cry. Some *&%(S*(# took a blue ball point pen to drew all over the cover. And it's decently water damaged. That being said the cover is decent if you can look past the chicken scratch. I already own a 227 that would probably grade between a 5.0-6.0.

That being said, the same shop has an Incredible Hulk 182 for $15. collectors stamp has been cut out and the cover has a very noticeable crease. Probably by the same A-HOLE :P

Here is a pic of my 227 along with my 251. These were birthday presents last year

bats227-251.jpg

Edited by Sarfa

Nice friend. I've got two raw copies myself. One is really beat up, but I use that one as a pin-up. The other one is better, but still not as nice as yours. I've really come love this book in the last two years.

Of unrelated note, there's a Bats 222 over at CL this month. This is another book that defies all logic. Am really interested to see where this one ends up.

Of unrelated note, there's a Bats 222 over at CL this month. This is another book that defies all logic. Am really interested to see where this one ends up.

Whats the grade as I just sold mine.

I know where a 227 is for $15. But it makes me want to cry. Some *&%(S*(# took a blue ball point pen to drew all over the cover. And it's decently water damaged. That being said the cover is decent if you can look past the chicken scratch. I already own a 227 that would probably grade between a 5.0-6.0.

That being said, the same shop has an Incredible Hulk 182 for $15. collectors stamp has been cut out and the cover has a very noticeable crease. Probably by the same A-HOLE :P

Here is a pic of my 227 along with my 251. These were birthday presents last year

bats227-251.jpg

2 of my favorite books, need stacks and stacks of these