• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

It looks like the Oakland 9.6 is coming up for bid in the next CL auction. Does anyone know anything about this book? It belongs to a boardie, right? I didn't know this was an old label book for some reason. Always wanted to see it.

Darn you! I was hoping this book wouldn't be mentioned here.

The top staple is loose, so I'm not sure if it will be made into a 9.8... so I suspect standard 227 bidding on this book.

Well that is good news for me. I think the edge wear will also keep it out of 9.8. But I know there are a few on here who have expressed interest in the oakland copy in the past.

Love the sales pitch in the item description. (thumbs u

Whenever I see things like that I am reminded of the newspaper subscription call with the Seth character in the Boiler Room. lol

That description is priceless, especially as the seller combines the concepts of "most valuable" and "undervalued" in the same breath:

OFFICIALLY NOW THE MOST VALUABLE NEAL ADAMS DRAWN BATMAN COMIC

EXTREMELY UNDERVALUED FOR A 43+ YEAR OLD BOOK.

That description is priceless, especially as the seller combines the concepts of "most valuable" and "undervalued" in the same breath:

how is it undervalued if it doesnt sell at this price?

is it the most valuable Adams Batman with past sales???

how is it undervalued if it doesnt sell at this price?

is it the most valuable Adams Batman with past sales???

I think it is for almost all grade points. The next closest would be Bats #252 or Tec #411, and maybe Tec #400 although it has fallen a bit over the past couple of years. That being said, the 9.6 Tec #411 sold for $3K in September, which puts it well ahead of Bats #227 in that grade........

Edited by kimik

Up to 9.2, it is probably the King but in 9.4 or better, Batman 238, another Adams cover only books, will do better at the moment.

That book belongs to me but im not sure if you would class me as a boardie as i dont post that often :/ . It took me years to find and when i did i managed to beat some other collectors who were looking for it by a matter of days. I dont recall the top staple being loose probably just mis-aligned but im not 100% sure. Anyway its a bummer to let go after many years of trying to find it but ive seen 1 or 2 other things in this auction that im interested in so needs must. Good luck to all those who are bidding you wont be disappointed and there cant be too many Batman #227's graded 9.6 still in the old label. (thumbs u

Up to 9.2, it is probably the King but in 9.4 or better, Batman 238, another Adams cover only books, will do better at the moment.

Good point, even though the 100 page Giants are overrated........

How man 238's exist in 9.4 or better? 1? 0?

3 in 9.4 none higher.

vs 52 9.4 or higher #227's including 6 9.8's. no comparison on the supply side of the equation.

I thought this was a typo.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-232-CGC-9-2-WHITE-1st-Ras-Al-Ghul-Neal-Adams-Art-DC-Bronze-Age-Comic-/380782006628?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item58a8605164#ht_4195wt_1215

Good grief! Especially since a 9.6 with perfect centering and white pages sold at auction last month for a little more than where this one is sitting right now.

Sparklecity sure does sell certain books at nutty prices.