• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Signature Auction Results, Astonishments, Shocks, Disappointments, etc.

417 posts in this topic

Hi all, rather new here but I have been buying goods at auction from a great many of the other well known auction houses, Bonhams, Sotheby's etc. typical auction pace is 100 lots per hour, HA seemed to be at about that pace so I dont know that they were overly fast. One bid practice that all auction houses will use is if a seller has a reserve on given item they will "shill" to start the bidding and see if there is any chance of getting to the reserve, if not it becomes a passed lot. I am sure HA has used this practice and I dont see anything wrong with it as long as it is not used above a percentage below the reserve. I can see how people might construe this as a practice which is used to inflate an items price but it really isnt, all it does is try to get the item sold for the seller if there is no response to an opening bid.

As for the shilling speculation, I don't buy it. First, Heritage is doing extremely well, at least as evidenced by the continuing high dollar values of their many types of auctions, and the large number of staff devoted to coordinating and managing smooth auctions. Second, there's very little money in doing it, relative to their bigger sources of revenue: (i) their front- and back-end vigorish on every comic sale, (ii) their profits from the outright purchase and subsequent sale of collections, and (iii) the lucrative practice of buying material, pressing and re-encapsulating at higher grades, and selling at large percentage profits.

Why ruin a successful business by using a practice that risks drastically reducing consignments, sales, and the existing gravy train?

I don't know one way or the other about Heritage shilling their own auctions, but that argument (I highlighted bold) is a terrible one against. In fact greed makes some of the wealthiest people in the world commit massive scams in order to get more money. Have you seen the news in the last 20 years? There is no such thing as being "to successful" to be a criminal.

"Why ruin a successful business by using a practice that risks drastically reducing consignments, sales, and the existing gravy train?"

And is your take on this that they're too corrupt, stupid and greedy to make money hand over fist with their existing gravy train?

No, they are not "too corrupt, stupid and greedy to make money hand over fist with their existing gravy train". I'm just saying that "making money hand over fist" dosen't seem to be enough to stop many folks from still being "corrupt, stupid and greedy". (thumbs u

i'm black listed on HA and CL for speaking out about their practices, now i know why sborock didn't contact me the last time he was in the city. (shrug) the STT 107 CGC 9.0 twin cities was sweet. :cloud9:

Were you actually banned, or are you just paranoid?

i'm black listed on HA and CL for speaking out about their practices, now i know why sborock didn't contact me the last time he was in the city. (shrug) the STT 107 CGC 9.0 twin cities was sweet. :cloud9:

they really do that ? even heritage ?

You would think that a business owned by a felon would be more inclusive, no?

What owner was convicted of a felony? Aren't there bonding and licensing demands that prevent a felon from having an ownership stake in these types of businesses?

I think he is talking about Halperin being brought up on charges of fraud when he was younger. Don't think he was convicted though.

To all the folks thinking Heritage runs a dishonest business/shills their own bids. If they do shill, they do so without knowledge of the outside bidders max. Obviously the technology is in place to do it if they wanted, they just choose to run an honest business (and why wouldn't they, they make a few $$$) I have on several occasions bid a week in advance, including the TC, and won books for a few thousand less than I bid. I can similarly endorse ComicLink.

Whilst I'm not suggesting you're wrong...how do you know this? (shrug)

What owner was convicted of a felony? Aren't there bonding and licensing demands that prevent a felon from having an ownership stake in these types of businesses?

I think he is talking about Halperin being brought up on charges of fraud when he was younger. Don't think he was convicted though.

Correct. He made a deal.

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2004/1227/156.html

lol

:applause:

Correct. He made a deal.

Halperin? Halperin? hm

Name seems familiar...doesn't he also own a sizeable chunk of CGC? hm

Really? Jeez all this time i thought I missed something serious. Was that the story about when he was 13 or something.

If that's what is being referred to then people should google "libel per se" before heading down that road. Against someone with those kinds of resources extra care in expressing one's self is advisable.

Correct. He made a deal.

Oh my. For your own good, I would drop calling him a felon, which imputes being convicted of a major crime, because he wasn't. That's actionable several different ways without even having to prove damages.

You'd be better off posting the link to the story and leaving out the conclusion. It's just a good idea. You can have any sort of opinion you want about the guy but you can't say he's a felon when he's not. Completely black letter there.

Correct. He made a deal.

Oh my. For your own good, I would drop calling him a felon, which imputes being convicted of a major crime, because he wasn't. That's actionable several different ways without even having to prove damages.

You'd be better off posting the link to the story and leaving out the conclusion. It's just a good idea. You can have any sort of opinion you want about the guy but you can't say he's a felon when he's not. Completely black letter there.

Yeah, nothing in that article indicates he's a felon but DAMN does that article raise some eyebrows about his business practice/ethics!!! :eek:

Correct. He made a deal.

Yeah, nothing in that article indicates he's a felon but DAMN does that article raise some eyebrows about his business practice/ethics!!! :eek:

Agreed, that's why it's best to just express an opinion based on the article and leave the conclusions out. Nothing good will come from adding something that's not there.

Correct. He made a deal.

I'm not saying anything I (and others) haven't been saying for years. There's nothing new here.

is my name daniel dupcak? do i look paranoid to you? :screwy:

is my name daniel dupcak? do i look paranoid to you? :screwy:

I'm just wondering if you were actually banned from bidding.

I just won a lot, clearly showed I won a lot (disabled my live bidding buttons, said "you are winning"...lot closed, in the upper right corner in green showed I was the winner...just clicked on my summary and it said I was outbid... huh??? someone has some splaining to do :mad:

They had several glitches. The Action #7 was one of them. It showed as not closed but the lot was won by somebody.

I just won the one lot I was focusing on too... (thumbs u

Now I have the Savannah Pedigree Superboy #133, the Green River Pedigree Superboy #133, and the Oakland Superboy #133. :acclaim:

(Oh... and the crappy, chewed up, childhood sckao Superboy #133.)

(Hope to locate the Boston Superboy #133 someday... :wishluck: )

To all the folks thinking Heritage runs a dishonest business/shills their own bids. If they do shill, they do so without knowledge of the outside bidders max. Obviously the technology is in place to do it if they wanted, they just choose to run an honest business (and why wouldn't they, they make a few $$$) I have on several occasions bid a week in advance, including the TC, and won books for a few thousand less than I bid. I can similarly endorse ComicLink.

Whilst I'm not suggesting you're wrong...how do you know this?

Because I bid $10,000 for a book that I won for $8000. I put that bid in over a week ago. (shrug)