• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Neal Adams art for Marvel

33 posts in this topic

It is a little difficult to read.

Oops there's Dover :fear:

I follow two things on this board: Neal, Rand..........you are just a known constant.

;)

I saw these variant covers advertised, not sure the print run compared to the reg edition, but 25-50 a pop per book for pre-orders seemed steep for the covers I saw.

Neal's modern stuff is a different style and not for everyone but I think people forget he's going to be turning 70 this June. Not sure about you but for someone of that age I think it's pretty amazing the kind of pencils he's still able to do.

Wow, I hadn't realized he was hitting 70, he still looks late 50s/ early 60s. I guess if I stopped to think about how long he has been doing published work it would have dawned on me.

I was half way done typing the same thing, then gave up. lol

MAY110618.jpg

i love neal's work, but his modern stuff is just not that good to me.

At some point, his style changed dramatically. For me at least, the main attraction was how dynamic his art was: composition, perspective, and a sketchy rendering style that really conveyed movement. His art now is very tight, where once it was wonderfully loose. Tight is (obviously!) a different style from loose, and is not empirically worse. But for me, and particularly with Adams, there's really no comparison.

As anyone with half a brain will readily admit, it's not like I can do any better. But this doesn't mean I can't discern the sublime from the acceptable.

MAY110618.jpg

At some point, his style changed dramatically. For me at least, the main attraction was how dynamic his art was: composition, perspective, and a sketchy rendering style that really conveyed movement. His art now is very tight, where once it was wonderfully loose. Tight is (obviously!) a different style from loose, and is not empirically worse. But for me, and particularly with Adams, there's really no comparison.

As anyone with half a brain will readily admit, it's not like I can do any better. But this doesn't mean I can't discern the sublime from the acceptable.

All great artist`s styles evolve,as even Picasso changed styles. 2c

Wow, I hadn't realized he was hitting 70, he still looks late 50s/ early 60s. I guess if I stopped to think about how long he has been doing published work it would have dawned on me.

Well we got to think GL #76 came out 41 years ago, to put it into perspective Nixon was the President and the Beatles didn`t officially break up when GL #76 hit the newstands.. ;)

One of the nicer things I've seen Neal do lately, IMO....

avengers2art-NA.jpg

(from Bleeding Cool)

I'm sorry guys, this Goblin piece is just freakin' gorgeous.

You can't love every piece an artist does. And things do change. In this case, I really believe it's a matter of inking and coloring more than anything. I've seen some of his recent pencils up close and personal, and they are just beautiful. Also, keep in mind, he's spent most of the last two decades doing advertising and other work, so I'm sure that's influenced his style somewhat.

MAY110618.jpg

All great artist`s styles evolve,as even Picasso changed styles. 2c

That's true, but it's a leap to assume for that that Adams' style is currently evolving (if we're using 'evolve' as a synonym for 'improve,' which isn't unreasonable). Also, I think most would agree that even Picasso's art didn't follow a steady trajectory of improvement until the day he died.