• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valliant... Quality or speculation?

23 posts in this topic

The last run of books I bought for reading pleasure followed by storing for a possible investment were the valliant books, Magnus, Solar, X-O Manowar, Archer & Armstrong and Shadowman (tried, but didn't really enjoy Rai, H.A.R.D.C.O.R.P., Harbinger... am I missing some? Oh yeah. Blood Spot, Eternal Warrior, Turok) Magnus and A&A were my favorites.

Speculation was the big flavor of the month then (may still be, I dunno). Who bought these for entertainment and who for $$ + a read? Who thinks Magnus would make a good movie?

The last run of books I bought for reading pleasure followed by storing for a possible investment were the valliant books, Magnus, Solar, X-O Manowar, Archer & Armstrong and Shadowman (tried, but didn't really enjoy Rai, H.A.R.D.C.O.R.P., Harbinger... am I missing some? Oh yeah. Blood Spot, Eternal Warrior, Turok) Magnus and A&A were my favorites.

Speculation was the big flavor of the month then (may still be, I dunno). Who bought these for entertainment and who for $$ + a read? Who thinks Magnus would make a good movie?

It would make a good movie but I would go after the original Gold Key runs in high grade instead. Why? Because the Gold Key Magnus,Turok and Solar first appearances are much rarer in high grade than the Valiant issues..Valiant 30,000 to 50,000 print runs in high grade are not really rare,as heck the latest Dark Horse reboots of Magnus,Turok and Solar all have print runs way under 10,000 and they will not go up in value. 2c

I bought them for both speculation and the stories. I read X-O Manowar and Shadowman for the first two dozen issues and the stories were great. At some point around the early 20's I had lost interest in the comic scene as a whole and stopped alltogether.

and its Bloodshot. Don't forget Ninjak, Dr. Mirage, Armorines, etc...

I read Solar and Ninjak. Just a few issues. It was when Ninjak first came out so I got issues 1 and 2 along with the current issues of Solar, one was the Valiant Vision 3-D issue. Also got the Valiant Vision Starter Kit, the little Valiant preview/reader that was only 75 cents, and a few other #1's that came out the same time as Ninjak. I kinda thought they all sucked. I hear pre-Unity was better but that seems to have been before the hype too so at that time I had probably never heard of Valiant.

Secret life of dr. mirage was a good read, and cool in that it was a rare book that had no white character lead.

Shadowman was good for almost the whole run. A&A too. Solar was good up to 18 for me, though 1-10 are best. X-O was good for about 30 issues with 1-20 the best. Rai had great covers and the lowest print run for 1-5. I have every magnus comic. I enjoyed most of the run with 1-18 and 64 being the best.

I read Solar and Ninjak. Just a few issues. It was when Ninjak first came out so I got issues 1 and 2 along with the current issues of Solar, one was the Valiant Vision 3-D issue. Also got the Valiant Vision Starter Kit, the little Valiant preview/reader that was only 75 cents, and a few other #1's that came out the same time as Ninjak. I kinda thought they all sucked. I hear pre-Unity was better but that seems to have been before the hype too so at that time I had probably never heard of Valiant.

Yep, the pre-unity stuff was good. After that, Valiant blew up and I think they spent their time trying to come up with other series that could produce #1 issues rather than focusing on the stories. Went down hill after Unity.

Back in 1991 I was stationed in Germany and I had never read a comic book before my buddy introduced me to Valiants. I can honestly say the I really enjoyed all of the titles pre and post unity but stopped reading somewhere around 1993. In about 1994 I needed so money so I went to a show in Oklahoma were I was stationed and I set up a table...most of what I had was Valiant....I marked everything at 50% off and the wizzard guide values which were still crazy back then. Dealers bought every book I had before the show opened to the public and I made a killing.

Probably somewhere back around the late 90's I checked out a price guide to see how stupid I was for selling the books when I did and imagine my surprise when I realized they were worth pennies on the dollar. I promptly bought most of the books back in 50 cent and dollar bins and this time I am holding on to them....investment doesn't even come in to play (thumbs u

I bought them for both speculation and the stories. I read X-O Manowar and Shadowman for the first two dozen issues and the stories were great. At some point around the early 20's I had lost interest in the comic scene as a whole and stopped alltogether.

and its Bloodshot. Don't forget Ninjak, Dr. Mirage, Armorines, etc...

Bloodshot. That's right. Thanks (thumbs u

Back in 1991 I was stationed in Germany and I had never read a comic book before my buddy introduced me to Valiants. I can honestly say the I really enjoyed all of the titles pre and post unity but stopped reading somewhere around 1993. In about 1994 I needed so money so I went to a show in Oklahoma were I was stationed and I set up a table...most of what I had was Valiant....I marked everything at 50% off and the wizzard guide values which were still crazy back then. Dealers bought every book I had before the show opened to the public and I made a killing.

Probably somewhere back around the late 90's I checked out a price guide to see how stupid I was for selling the books when I did and imagine my surprise when I realized they were worth pennies on the dollar. I promptly bought most of the books back in 50 cent and dollar bins and this time I am holding on to them....investment doesn't even come in to play (thumbs u

lol Great story! Good for you!

I really liked the titles for a short time after Unity. When they started all the spin off titles everything went south. I still have at least 75% of the books and there are some great covers and stories. There was a big surge a couple years back but that seems to have vanished now. The books are near 20 years old at this point and getting 9.8 copies on many of the books is VERY hard.

James G

I really liked the titles for a short time after Unity. When they started all the spin off titles everything went south. I still have at least 75% of the books and there are some great covers and stories. There was a big surge a couple years back but that seems to have vanished now. The books are near 20 years old at this point and getting 9.8 copies on many of the books is VERY hard.

James G

But buying actual CGC 9.8 copies is a good idea now as prices are markedly depressed across the board. Specially most pre-unity books.