• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is considered High Grade?

168 posts in this topic

It may have a value that exceeds a complete vase of a different era, but a vase is a vase.

That's like saying a 7.5 is a 7.5 and can never be a 9.4.

Which is wrong.

(shrug)

Are you getting philosophical on me? That's like saying something can be everything and nothing.

No, it's a random pebble throwing from the sidelines by a rabble-rouser. Gav is referencing a book I put up for sale on the forums that was pressed from a 7.5 to a 9.4 and showing his disdain for my doing so and not revealing the previous grade of the book when it was put up for sale. It doesn't matter that the book was not actually mine and was not pressed by me. All that matters is that it bothers him and his perception of the situation is enough for him to open that can of worms again. Facts are not important.

His comment actually has nothing to do with this conversation except that I am in the conversation and he is in the conversation.

Oh, it also shows that a 7.5 book can and does have high grade qualities, hence I believe VF range is the start of high grade.

Carry on.

:)

My post was to prove that while a vase without a handle will always be a vase without a handle, a 7.5 may not always be a 7.5. The book you had was the case in point.

What the post was not about was you. Did I mention anything about you not disclosing? No, you did. Did I mention I didn't like the way you tried to sell the book? No, you did. Did I mention you at all? No.

My point was that the vase comment was a bad analogy, stop trying to twist my words. I made my feelings clear in the thread that was pulled and I haven't acknowledged you since, so stop accusing me of rabble-rousing Roy when my comment was directly related to this thread and the post I quoted. Specifically, how grades can change.

Not everything is about you, especially my posts.

It may have a value that exceeds a complete vase of a different era, but a vase is a vase.

Which is wrong.

(shrug)

Are you getting philosophical on me? That's like saying something can be everything and nothing.

No, it's a random pebble throwing from the sidelines by a rabble-rouser. Gav is referencing a book I put up for sale on the forums that was pressed from a 7.5 to a 9.4 and showing his disdain for my doing so and not revealing the previous grade of the book when it was put up for sale. It doesn't matter that the book was not actually mine and was not pressed by me. All that matters is that it bothers him and his perception of the situation is enough for him to open that can of worms again. Facts are not important.

His comment actually has nothing to do with this conversation except that I am in the conversation and he is in the conversation.

Oh, it also shows that a 7.5 book can and does have high grade qualities, hence I believe VF range is the start of high grade.

Carry on.

My post was to prove that while a vase without a handle will always be a vase without a handle, a 7.5 may not always be a 7.5. The book you had was the case in point.

What the post was not about was you. Did I mention anything about you not disclosing? No, you did. Did I mention I didn't like the way you tried to sell the book? No, you did. Did I mention you at all? No.

My point was that the vase comment was a bad analogy, stop trying to twist my words. I made my feelings clear in the thread that was pulled and I haven't acknowledged you since, so stop accusing me of rabble-rousing Roy when my comment was directly related to this thread and the post I quoted. Specifically, how grades can change.

I think the vase analogy is perfect. It speaks to the fact that rarity does not change the physical characteristics that defines something. A scratched up record is not high grade if it is the only one of it's kind. A cracked mirror may be the only surviving example but is not high grade.

I can go on and on. I'm not really sure how someone can argue the counter point, other than for the sake of arguing. (shrug)

This thread is a complete circle jerk and it is pointless and it makes me angry. I'm week willed so I feel compelled to post. I will try to stop.

Which is wrong.

(shrug)

Carry on.

I think you are a brilliant guy, which is why I didn't understand what the 7.5-9.4 reference had to do with anything in this thread. I'll disagree with you and your motivations but since I'm not a mind reader I can't prove anything. I can only take all of the information I have at hand and draw a conclusion as to what your motivations are for bringing up something irrelevant to the discussion.

I think your 7.5 to a 9.4 analogy is a poor one to use in this discussion. The discussion was never focused around whether a 7.5 can become a 9.4 (which you are trying to make it about). The discussion is focused on the fact that a book with low grade characteristics can not be considered a high grade book.

In fact your analogy only goes on to prove my point that a 7.5 book (which happens to be VF range and I have always believed that VF range is high grade) has high grade characteristics that differ very little from a higher grade copy and therefore can be considered high grade.

Therefore the vase analogy is a perfect one, a vase with a defect that kills the grade can not be considered high grade in the truest sense of the word. (I am in agreement with mikeynyc88)

The discussion is about high grade, not highest grade (or any other variation of the word high).

So, if the highest grade known to exist of a particular book is, say, a 6.5 that's a high grade book.

If years later a 9.0 copy suddenly appears, what happens to the 6.5? Then it's a mid grade? It magically changes grading level?

As has been stated by others, grade, scarcity and value are separate things...

the misunderstanding of subjective perceived value and a objective finite grading metrics in this thread is mind boggling.

Yup.

What he said.

the misunderstanding of subjective perceived value and a objective finite grading metrics in this thread is mind boggling.

Misconstrue is probably the more accurate word than misunderstand...

Edited by sl4ppy

If fine (6.0) is the median grade...

6.1 or higher = high grade

5.9 or lower = low grade

5.9 or lower = low grade

That's fine with me, so long as you apply that formula consistently. That means 6.1+ is high grade on a New Mutants 98. Agreed?

5.9 or lower = low grade

That's fine with me, so long as you apply that formula consistently. That means 6.1+ is high grade on a New Mutants 98. Agreed?

You need to go back to the Mental Defect thread and figure out why you can't leave this thread alone.

5.9 or lower = low grade

You need to go back to the Mental Defect thread and figure out why you can't leave this thread alone.

This actually made me laugh out loud. Good shiiit. lol

5.9 or lower = low grade

6.1 is high grade for a New Mutants 98 :screwy:

5.9 or lower = low grade

6.1 is high grade for a New Mutants 98 :screwy:

Did you mean Spawn #1? :kidaround:

5.9 or lower = low grade

How about this?

0 - 3.3 = low grade

3.4 - 6.6 = mid grade

6.7 - 10.0 = high grade

Rounding up gives you:

0 - 3.5 = low grade

4.0 - 7.0 = mid grade

7.5 - 10.0 = high grade

Sounds pretty accurate to me.

:baiting:

5.9 or lower = low grade

How about this?

0 - 3.3 = low grade

3.4 - 6.6 = mid grade

6.7 - 10.0 = high grade

Rounding up gives you:

0 - 3.5 = low grade

4.0 - 7.0 = mid grade

7.5 - 10.0 = high grade

Sounds pretty accurate to me.

:baiting:

0 - 4.5 = LG

5.0 - 8.0 = MG

8.5 - 10 = HG

You and I are pretty close.

I've always considered VG to be mid grade and Fine range to be the end of the mid grade. VF range is where high grade starts for me.

I suppose we could flame war over a 0.5

:slapfight: