• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is considered High Grade?

168 posts in this topic

It may have a value that exceeds a complete vase of a different era, but a vase is a vase.

That's like saying a 7.5 is a 7.5 and can never be a 9.4.

Which is wrong.

(shrug)

Are you getting philosophical on me? That's like saying something can be everything and nothing.

When most dealers sell you a book, it's high grade. When you try to sell back the same book, it isn't.

Learn this and you won't be disappointed.

:lol:

Its like buying a new car and driving it off the lot, your back tire hits the street, its now a used car.

It goes fist in...., well, anyway..., it's like 'buy high, sell low." If that is your expectation, you'll never be disappointed. :P

I am looking at this from a Census standpoint, many boardies have their opinion as what is HG, but a 9.2 modern is not HG or maybe even copper age and late bronze, but if a book is hard to find in HG based on the book itself would you then adjust to what the highest grade for that book. 9.6-9.0, 9.8-9.2 or based on the number of copies exists 9.0 and above for Bronze age and older book.

You will find out that a lot of comic collectors will describe HG as a very cut/dry definition. Meaning HG would start at VF no matter the age or how abundant the book is. VF is HG no matter if the book is a Spawn #1 or an Action Comics #1. So if you present someone with Spawn #1 in 8.5 condition the book is considered HG by the commonly accepted comics principles of the OSPG.

You know the OSPG that from 1975-present is very much dead on which their market valuations. :eyeroll:

I call that the old school model. zzz

I am of the opinion of new school thinking of what HG is partly because of CGC and population in the census of the books. :idea:

Most boardies rebuttal at me: :preach:

No John it is not old school thinking. You are just massively incorrect in your thinking.

ASM 300 in 8.5/9.0 is HG because it doesn't matter if the book is common or not in HG.

A VF is a VF so yes the book is HG.

There is no new school thought process as much as you are misguided in your thought process.

The definition of HG is cut/dry.

John you are just a dope as per usual.

:blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

a 9.8 300 is still a turdd of a book - nothing would make that era or that book HG :sumo:

I am looking at this from a Census standpoint, many boardies have their opinion as what is HG, but a 9.2 modern is not HG or maybe even copper age and late bronze, but if a book is hard to find in HG based on the book itself would you then adjust to what the highest grade for that book. 9.6-9.0, 9.8-9.2 or based on the number of copies exists 9.0 and above for Bronze age and older book.

Well, you're not looking at what's High Grade, then.

You're looking at 'at what point does a specific book become high enough grade for it to be collectible?'.

'Grade' is an objective, clearly defined assessment of a book's physical condition with no regard for its scarcity or desirability.

You will find out that a lot of comic collectors will describe HG as a very cut/dry definition. Meaning HG would start at VF no matter the age or how abundant the book is. VF is HG no matter if the book is a Spawn #1 or an Action Comics #1. So if you present someone with Spawn #1 in 8.5 condition the book is considered HG by the commonly accepted comics principles of the OSPG.

You know the OSPG that from 1975-present is very much dead on which their market valuations. :eyeroll:

I am of the opinion of new school thinking of what HG is, partly because of CGC and population in the census of the books. :idea:

And partly because you're a greedy prick.

Let's say for instance HG is 9.2 and above for books 35yrs+ but if the census has the highest grade at 9.6 would 9.0 be considered HG if there are only a certain number of copies above 9.0? If there was a 9.9 or 9.8 on the census and a pretty good number of copies 9.2 and above then 9.4 and above be considered HG? At what point would you consider a copy HG.

Get ready for a bunch of boardies in the morning posting you many links to this huge debate about this that has been going on in many threads over the past year. lol

:gossip: but don't let them fool you an ASM 300 in VF/NM is not HG. :devil:

:eyeroll: Don't let SoT fool you. his is just one or many opinions on the subject. It's hardly the be all and end all.

You're looking at 'at what point does a specific book become high enough grade for it to be collectible?'.

'Grade' is an objective, clearly defined assessment of a book's physical condition with no regard for its scarcity or desirability.

+1

There are two questions here: grade AND desirability that are getting conflated. An 8.0 is HG for me, for example, but that is not a desirable grade for a book that came out last week (or ASM #300 for that matter). Just as everyone may differ on their threshold for HG they will also differ on the cutoff for desirability of different grades for different books.

You're making sense again Nick. Stop that (tsk)

;)

I agree with FT and Vintage - collector discernment and collectible condition cannot be properly collated and bound on the subject of what constitutes high grade.

IMHO, VF is the entry point, and available supply should have no place in the discussion as far as collectible condition. Supply, specifically the category of relative scarcity, may however enter into the discussion of why books fetch a premium amongst more discerning collectors, especially in cases with comics which are rare in any grade with far too low a supply to meet market demand.

+1

There are two questions here: grade AND desirability that are getting conflated. An 8.0 is HG for me, for example, but that is not a desirable grade for a book that came out last week (or ASM #300 for that matter). Just as everyone may differ on their threshold for HG they will also differ on the cutoff for desirability of different grades for different books.

+2

And since this topic gets brought up every freakin' month of late, if you guys drag this one on for days and hundreds of posts, I promise to begin threadbombing. (tsk)

While this may be true of the actual grade, whether or not that grade is "high" may well vary according to the book and era, within limits. Most would probably agree that even a scarce GA book would have to be around an 8.0 to be "high grade". Conversely, when modern books are readily available in 9.4 and above, few would argue that 8.0 would be "high".

Just because the actual grade is absolute (in theory anyway) , doesn't mean that the definition of "high" can't exist on a curve, dependent on era,

It may have a value that exceeds a complete vase of a different era, but a vase is a vase.

That's like saying a 7.5 is a 7.5 and can never be a 9.4.

Which is wrong.

(shrug)

Are you getting philosophical on me? That's like saying something can be everything and nothing.

No, it's a random pebble throwing from the sidelines by a rabble-rouser. Gav is referencing a book I put up for sale on the forums that was pressed from a 7.5 to a 9.4 and showing his disdain for my doing so and not revealing the previous grade of the book when it was put up for sale. It doesn't matter that the book was not actually mine and was not pressed by me. All that matters is that it bothers him and his perception of the situation is enough for him to open that can of worms again. Facts are not important.

His comment actually has nothing to do with this conversation except that I am in the conversation and he is in the conversation.

Oh, it also shows that a 7.5 book can and does have high grade qualities, hence I believe VF range is the start of high grade.

Carry on.

:)

I am of the opinion of new school thinking of what HG is partly because of CGC and population in the census of the books. :idea:

Most boardies rebuttal at me: :preach:

No John it is not old school thinking. You are just massively incorrect in your thinking.

ASM 300 in 8.5/9.0 is HG because it doesn't matter if the book is common or not in HG.

A VF is a VF so yes the book is HG.

There is no new school thought process as much as you are misguided in your thought process.

The definition of HG is cut/dry.

John you are just a dope as per usual.

:blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

John, it's not a matter of what you think or say, it's a matter of what the English language says.

What is the grade? The grade is somewhere on a scale of 1-10.

What is considered high grade on a scale of 1-10...most people believe 8.0 is roughly where high grade starts.

Why does high grade start at 8.0 for most people? Because a book that is called "high grade" needs to look like a high grade book and exhibit high grade qualities as it sits there on my desk in a Mylar.

If you want to call a book "high grade" when it is only a 5.5, but it is the highest graded copy then the English language doesn't cover that by calling it high grade (as high grade is a quality regardless of how rare the book is). The English language does cover it if you qualify the "high grade" description by saying "for that particular issue".

See the difference? Most people will not undersand "high grade for that particular issue" out of the phrase "high grade" because the rules of the English language don't support the longer meaning of "high grade for that book" in only those two words.

:foryou:

What about this?

Walking Dead #1 had about a print run of about 7,000 copies but what if 6900 copies of that run is near mint?

How does that compare to a book that had 400,000 print run but maybe only 50 copies were near mint?

thoughts?

hm

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

What about this?

Walking Dead #1 had about a print run of about 7,000 copies but what if 6900 copies of that run is near mint?

How does that compare to a book that had 400,000 print run but maybe only 50 copies were near mint?

thoughts?

hm

doesn't effect the grade, just how likely you are to own it.

What about this?

thoughts?

hm

doesn't effect the grade, just how likely you are to own it.

What I am trying to allude to is even though some of these new hot Image books only have 4000 to 7000 print runs,then what does it mean if 99.9999 percent of those low print runs are near mint?

Edited by ComicConnoisseur