• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is considered High Grade?

168 posts in this topic

Can we get this thread moved to the "What is High Grade" Forum?

I still maintain that you should have your own forum.

I'd ditch this place for that.

I would be a benevolent despot. All would be welcome save greggy.

I would be a benevolent despot. All would be welcome save greggy.

:(

I am looking at this from a Census standpoint, many boardies have their opinion as what is HG, but a 9.2 modern is not HG or maybe even copper age and late bronze, but if a book is hard to find in HG based on the book itself would you then adjust to what the highest grade for that book. 9.6-9.0, 9.8-9.2 or based on the number of copies exists 9.0 and above for Bronze age and older book.

You will find out that a lot of comic collectors will describe HG as a very cut/dry definition. Meaning HG would start at VF no matter the age or how abundant the book is. VF is HG no matter if the book is a Spawn #1 or an Action Comics #1. So if you present someone with Spawn #1 in 8.5 condition the book is considered HG by the commonly accepted comics principles of the OSPG.

You know the OSPG that from 1975-present is very much dead on which their market valuations. :eyeroll:

I call that the old school model. zzz

I am of the opinion of new school thinking of what HG is partly because of CGC and population in the census of the books. :idea:

Most boardies rebuttal at me: :preach:

No John it is not old school thinking. You are just massively incorrect in your thinking.

ASM 300 in 8.5/9.0 is HG because it doesn't matter if the book is common or not in HG.

A VF is a VF so yes the book is HG.

There is no new school thought process as much as you are misguided in your thought process.

The definition of HG is cut/dry.

John you are just a dope as per usual.

:blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

John, it's not a matter of what you think or say, it's a matter of what the English language says.

What is the grade? The grade is somewhere on a scale of 1-10.

What is considered high grade on a scale of 1-10...most people believe 8.0 is roughly where high grade starts.

Why does high grade start at 8.0 for most people? Because a book that is called "high grade" needs to look like a high grade book and exhibit high grade qualities as it sits there on my desk in a Mylar.

If you want to call a book "high grade" when it is only a 5.5, but it is the highest graded copy then the English language doesn't cover that by calling it high grade (as high grade is a quality regardless of how rare the book is). The English language does cover it if you qualify the "high grade" description by saying "for that particular issue".

See the difference? Most people will not undersand "high grade for that particular issue" out of the phrase "high grade" because the rules of the English language don't support the longer meaning of "high grade for that book" in only those two words.

:foryou:

English language?

You mean OSPG language.

I am not most people when it comes to accepting HG starts at 8.0 for every book. The definition of HG can be different for every person point of view.

Your not wrong what so ever I just tend again to add the other factors into the model.

English language?

You mean OSPG language.

No, he means the ENGLISH language--the one where those of us who cling to precise meaning and literacy in the words we choose to say exactly what we mean and don't assume mess like you are. If you want introduce the concept of rarity into the term "high grade," then put the word "rare" in there explicitly--it isn't simply assumed. This is a case where your greater level of experience with comics is erroneously causing you to take a term that's intended to be simple and used by noobs and make it more complex by extending it beyond what the exact words themselves are communicating.

This "should or shouldn't rarity be implied in high grade" issue is in the top five dumbest debates in the history of the forum. :screwy: At the moment I can't come up with a dumber one that is debated this frequently, but I'm sure there MUST be others. hm(shrug) Pressing debates are tiresome, but at least the issues are easy to see why people get confused about them...this "high grade" debate is such a waste of time. :insane:

English language?

You mean OSPG language.

No, he means the ENGLISH language--the one where those of us who cling to meaning and literacy in the words we choose say exactly what we mean and don't assume mess like you are. If you want introduce the concept of rarity into the term "high grade," then put it in there--it isn't simply assumed.

This "should or shouldn't rarity be implied in high grade" issue is in the top five dumbest debates in the history of the forum. :screwy: At the moment I can't come up with a dumber one that is debated this frequently, but I'm sure there are others. Pressing debates are tiresome, but at least the issues are easy to see why people get confused about them...this "high grade" debate is such a lark. :insane:

Do you mean comic people or everyone in life who uses the phrase HG in the English language. Everyone who using the English language does not use high grade to mean comic books, so what are you talking about? My friend back east would use the term HG to notate the quality of wood, paint, or roofing material he sells to general contractors.

If you are saying HG to use in comic book lingo language then fine, but to think otherwise is also assuming.

If you see a TEC #27 unrestored in 6.0 condition is your mind going to keep telling yourself it is just a Fine condition book or will it tell you what a nice HG example of a tough book to find in grade it is. Will your mind trick you into thinking even though the book is in the 6.0 grade range will you somehow still just call it a mid-grade book or something more higher?

I use HighGrade to describe each comic book on an individual basis taking into account the supply of that particular book. If a book is scarce and the highest graded example of the book is 8.0 then even a 7.0 would be HG for that book in my opinion.

People keep saying it is not about the money about the term High Grade, and I never said anything about the money being involved. (shrug)

This is not a debate as I said a hundred times. No one is wrong as everyone can have a different opinion of when they want to start or consider the comic book term HG to begin.

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

If you see a TEC #27 unrestored in 6.0 condition is your mind going to keep telling yourself it is just a Fine condition book or will it tell you what a nice HG example of a tough book to find in grade it is. Will your mind trick you into thinking even though the book is in the 6.0 grade range will you somehow still just call it a mid-grade book or something more higher?

My mind isn't tricking me at all. 6.0 is mid grade.

My mind isn't tricking me at all. 6.0 is mid grade.

Yea that is fine I am sure most people will agree with you. (thumbs u

I would look at it a a nice HG book for me.

I use HighGrade to describe each comic book on an individual basis taking into account the supply of that particular book. If a book is scarce and the highest graded example of the book is 8.0 then even a 7.0 would be HG for that book in my opinion.

So if the only known copy of a Golden Age book is coverless, you consider that high grade?

People keep saying it is not about the money about the term High Grade, and I never said anything about the money being involved. (shrug)

I did. All your opinions are colored by money, I think that's obvious.

This is not a debate as I said a hundred times. No one is wrong as everyone can have a different opinion of when they want to start or consider the comic book term HG to begin.

If you could support your opinions without qualifying them/distorting the question then I would agree, but as it stands, you are just plain wrong.

Do you mean comic people or everyone in life who uses the phrase HG in the English language. Everyone who using the English language does not use high grade to mean comic books, so what are you talking about? My friend back east would use the term HG to notate the quality of wood, paint, or roofing material he sells to general contractors.

If you are saying HG to use in comic book lingo language then fine, but to think otherwise is also assuming.

I'm not assuming anything. As you pointed out, the term "high grade" doesn't just apply to comics. Do you know anything about classic Porsches? I don't, but let's assume that you do. If I saw a classic Porsche that looked to be in spectacular condition and called it "high grade" from my amateur perspective--which is the primary audience for these dumbed-down terms, something that gets continuously ignored in this conversation--only to have you as a Porsche expert tell me I'm wrong because that particular year of Porsche is common due to a few thousand of them being stored in a warehouse somewhere--I'm going to smack you upside the head for being a know-it-all nerd by warping the language to assume that "high grade" implies "rare" when the language I used was precisely correct and I wasn't trying to comment upon rarity, only grade. (tsk) And you know how you, as the listener, was supposed to know I was only referring to grade and not rarity? BECAUSE I DIDN'T PUT THE WORD RARE IN THERE! :makepoint::insane:

Yea that is fine I am sure most people will agree with you. (thumbs u

I would look at it a a nice HG book for me.

I honestly don't understand that, but hey whatever floats your boat.

I'd say across the board, HG is 9.2+.

For GA, I'd consider 8.0+ HG enough for me.

For SA Marvels, 9.2+.

SA DCs 8.0+. (much tougher in grade than Marvels)

BA 9.4+.

What I highlighted in bold is showing Ben's thinking is somewhat more towards the New School thinking of how each era or decade can be broken up into categories of when HG starts for him.

I'd say across the board, HG is 9.2+.

For GA, I'd consider 8.0+ HG enough for me.

For SA Marvels, 9.2+.

SA DCs 8.0+. (much tougher in grade than Marvels)

BA 9.4+.

What I highlighted in bold is showing Ben's thinking is somewhat more towards the New School thinking of how each era or decade can be broken up into categories of when HG starts for him.

which CGC has totally influenced (thumbs u 30 years ago, HG was considered MINT or NM/MT :) Edited by Primetime