• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neal Adams 1st art on Batman?

20 posts in this topic

Is it Tec' 369 or 370? CGC and Overstreet clearly label #370 as "First Neal Adams art on Batman" but then #369 is also labeled as containing "Neal Adams art as well.

???

Not a big Neal Adams guy, but I always admired his work. Could maybe one of the Adamists on these boards can shed a lil' light?

Thanks!

Here's the scoop: Detective Comics #369 has Neal Adams art, but on the Elongated Man backup story, of all places. Detective #370 has the first Batman cover by Adams, though I think it is Adams inks over Infantino pencils (or maybe just layouts). The first Neal Adams interior story featuring Batman is World's Finest #175.

Is it Tec' 369 or 370? CGC and Overstreet clearly label #370 as "First Neal Adams art on Batman" but then #369 is also labeled as containing "Neal Adams art as well.

???

Not a big Neal Adams guy, but I always admired his work. Could maybe one of the Adamists on these boards can shed a lil' light?

Thanks!

Don't waste your time with either book. The cover for Tec #370 is :sick:

He does not really take off until the 390s..........

Want to bump this thread again since I'm looking for the answer myself.

What is the first Neal Adams art on Batman ? Anyone know ?

I know this is the Bronze Age section but I'm thinking it might be Brave and the Bold#79 (1968, with Deadman) ?

Would appreciate any help on this. Thanks.

I know this is the Bronze Age section but I'm thinking it might be Brave and the Bold#79 (1968, with Deadman) ?

Zonker is correct. This poster is looking for the 1st interior Batman story pencils, NOT the covers listed above. B&B #79 came out in August of '68. Adams' first interior pencils on a Batman story was World's Finest #175 from May 1968: The Superman-Batman Revenge Squads story. Cool Adams cover also. (thumbs u

jason-bats.jpg

Zonker is correct. This poster is looking for the 1st interior Batman story pencils, NOT the covers listed above. B&B #79 came out in August of '68. Adams' first interior pencils on a Batman story was World's Finest #175 from May 1968: The Superman-Batman Revenge Squads story. Cool Adams cover also. (thumbs u

Well, the cover is definitely the best thing about WF #175. Picked up #175 and #176 for my Bats Adams collection last month. Man, none of these stories have aged well at all. Very campy and I would imagine, very stupid even for the time it was released. Adams work on both Bats and Supes in these two books were also very conservative. Not quite the dynamic Bats that would evolve shortly in Adam's proceeding run in the Brave and the Bold.

I thought it was just me being jaded after reading so much modern Bats, but I recently picked up Adams' collected edition in HC and he mentioned the same thing about his short stint on WF.

Sounds like WF#175 doesn't feature the "gothic" Batman if it's a campy story. From what I've read online, the gritty Batman didn't come about until Dennis O'Neill and Neal Adams collaborated together, which would make B&B#79 probably the first gothic Batman story by default.

It's also worth noting Detective#395 is considered the starting point of when the tone of the stories changed in the Batman titles during the seventies.

You have to remember that WF 175 came out near the end of the Batman TV show. It was campy to match what the kids were seeing on television.

B&B79 was written by Bob Haney, not Denny O'Neil. Though Adams does take credit for modifying the scripts Haney delivered to him, for instance changing the settings to night-time, to bring the stories more in line with Adams' vision.