• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,920 posts in this topic

I haven't really collected the Charltons to any great extent to know that to a large degree...but Ghostly Tales (which started with #55) and in the 60s are very hard to find in decent condition up to around #90 or so...and anything pretty much up to around 1973 I think would be a "sweet" spot for collectors. After that, they started to reprint stories and covers and, in my estimation, become completely worthless from a collecting standpoint.

There was a #55 recently on Heritage and I bid pretty aggressively on it and lost it by a country mile. It went for $500+ and it was a 9.4. Cover reminds me of Weird War.

Given the price of the first issue, I'd say there's at least more than one person (me) that would like these earlier issues.

54044-ghostlytales55.jpg.bafc554a1a3d3280bf5e1f7d82438554.jpg

Edited by sterlingcomics

thanks sterling, I've been branching out as dc is mostly done (and I"m not as determined to find UHG on all). I'm starting to find some desirability on these second string publishers that deserve a second look.

25i7x4p.jpg

The artwork there reminds me of Gil Kane. But it's tom sutton, who did some work on marvel titles.

btw I agree with the weird war comparison for 55, cool cover.

Has anyone gathered some ideas about which charltons are high demand/hard to find?

(similar to hom 174, 175, 179, and 205 for example).

Sterling, I figure you have some great experience/insight here.

thanks,

bronze

First Baron Weirwulf might not be too easy to find in HG...

589a952970c0d_53996-BaronWeirwulfsHauntedLibrary21.jpg.f5365bf54e1156e3a72211ded1505ee1.jpg

Has anyone gathered some ideas about which charltons are high demand/hard to find?

thanks,

bronze

So...I should have bought the sweet Don Rosa copy when it was available raw in SD the first year? :eek:

thanks,

bronze

So...I should have bought the sweet Don Rosa copy when it was available raw in SD the first year? :eek:

Yes.

Didn't Ditko work on the Graves books?

Those are cool Charltons.

Yes, Ditko did a lot of work for Charlton and can be found throughout a lot of their titles.

54007-Haunted1.jpg.452a166d01454c4f447dff3a20845b4d.jpg

thanks,

bronze

Yes.

They were hiding on the floor. Even Jason Ewert didn't want to look at the krappy boxes on the floor

thanks,

bronze

Yes.

They were hiding on the floor. Even Jason Ewert didn't want to look at the krappy boxes on the floor

krappy boxes on the floor = :cloud9:

Yeah and the title changed with that book also.

Some of the early Many Ghosts of Dr. Graves can be hard also Ghost Manor (1st series)

I was fortunate enough to get a lot of the Ghost Manor 1st series books, courtesy of Mr. Rosa...

Basically any series that started before the late sixties (like DCs) are more difficult to find in HG....and I'm talking about order of magnitudes of difficulty as compared to DC titles. Even the issues between the late sixties and early seventies are a blitch to find...and outside of Don Rosa copies...haven't really been around.

I think there are some out there...they just need to be taken out of the dirty boxes on the floor.

Jayman, I'm jealous of your Haunted #1...

Yeah and the title changed with that book also.

Some of the early Many Ghosts of Dr. Graves can be hard also Ghost Manor (1st series)

I was fortunate enough to get a lot of the Ghost Manor 1st series books, courtesy of Mr. Rosa...

Basically any series that started before the late sixties (like DCs) are more difficult to find in HG....and I'm talking about order of magnitudes of difficulty as compared to DC titles. Even the issues between the late sixties and early seventies are a blitch to find...and outside of Don Rosa copies...haven't really been around.

Not to mention that Charlton's production quality control was...er, less than satisfactory, so finding a HG copy with nice QP is tough.

The 1st Baron Weirwulf is very difficult to find in true 9.2 or better. I can't recall seeing one. Some of the early Haunteds (say 3-9) have been elusive as well.

I hear ya, my VF #21 I posted is the best I could find to date.

The 1st Baron Weirwulf is very difficult to find in true 9.2 or better. I can't recall seeing one. Some of the early Haunteds (say 3-9) have been elusive as well.

:pullhair:

:pullhair:

:sorry: