• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,920 posts in this topic

OK, to see if I've improved, I'm going to give my perceived grades CGC will give these books--looking at sending them "any day".

Ghosts #99 9.6

Weird War Tales #81 9.6

House of Mystery #295 9.8

House of Mystery #309 9.4

88736877.jpg

88736873.jpg

88736870.jpg

88736867.jpg

Hey Sterling earlier ones seem tougher because the run was actually canceled & restarted with a break inbetween. The issues from #6-14 are from the 2nd attempt to keep it going, and the sales were obviously [#@$%!!!] since it only lasted 8 issues. I have found #11-14 to be very tough in high grade and that would be the dying gasp issues of the run, so it makes sense!

Hey Sterling earlier ones seem tougher because the run was actually canceled & restarted with a break inbetween. The issues from #6-14 are from the 2nd attempt to keep it going, and the sales were obviously [#@$%!!!] since it only lasted 8 issues. I have found #11-14 to be very tough in high grade and that would be the dying gasp issues of the run, so it makes sense!

Yeah, I saw that this title gasped multiple times. I'm actually surprised the last run lasted as long as it did, especially with Dr. E. I'm ok with a continuing character, as long as it isn't in a mystery mag tongue.gif

I'm actually surprised the last run lasted as long as it did, especially with Dr. E. I'm ok with a continuing character, as long as it isn't in a mystery mag tongue.gif

Don't you reckon that was the consequence of the Direct Market taking off and the death of newstand distribution? When comics were an impulse buy at the newstand or drug store, the well-executed, provocative cover image was perhaps enough to sell the book. Once the audience shifted to the weekly comics shop consumers, I suppose the publishers decided they needed some continuity to try to keep 'em coming back every month.

HoM had I, Vampire

Weird War had Creature Commandos

Ghosts had Dr. Thirteen (or was it Jonny Peril?)

Secrets had Mr. E.

...etc. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

good observation. I was actually only HALF joking, as I actually enjoyed the change to continuing characters at the time--it just took away from some of the other stories as a result.

I totally forgot about the change to direct; at the time I always bought my books from the store or from a reader's subscription.

Thanks to adding some light on the situation! thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, Ghosts had Dr. 13....Unexpected had Johnny Peril. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So, while we are on the subject---who was your favorite continuing character and WHY:

Dr. 13

Johnny Peril

I, Vampire

Mr. E

Creature Commandos

Yeak, the direct maekret switch killed off almost all genre stuff because of the different mentality. Jonah Hex & Seargent Rock were lucky for awhile, but most anything else didn't make it through 1983.

My fave is I Vampire for quality, But Creature commandos is a close second for pure fun & Goofiness!

So, while we are on the subject---who was your favorite continuing character and WHY:

Dracula... tongue.gif

It was a great spin on the classic character that fit perfectly into comics. TOD has aged very well and is fast becoming one of best comic series of the Bronze Age...

I Vampire, while OK, look very weak in comparison to TOD...and I didn't care for any of the other DC continuing horror stories...

Jim

Dracula... tongue.gif

It was a great spin on the classic character that fit perfectly into comics. TOD has aged very well and is fast becoming one of best comic series of the Bronze Age...

I Vampire, while OK, look very weak in comparison to TOD...and I didn't care for any of the other DC continuing horror stories...

Jim

No doubt, TOD is my favorite vampire hands down. I didnt start reading the series until the end, so it has been nice catching up on the stories I missed as a kid.

Can you list the changes of the new inner well please? I do not have a slab with the new design, when did it get instituted?

I don't remember the link on the technical changes, but when you look at the book, you will know the change is there.

Does anyone have a link?

I have to say I, Vampire for quality and as a backup Johnny Peril for the mystery/intrigue.

Dr. 13 got old to me very fast, but I did like the Spectre cross-over in 97-99.

Some of the Johnny Peril stories were quite good if I remember correctly.

My least favorite Mr. E... "Blind he may be, but evil he can see!" insane.gif

I have to say I, Vampire for quality and as a backup Johnny Peril for the mystery/intrigue.

I agree. I just didn't like those Buckler Johnny Peril covers. Didn't exactly envoke shock and awe 27_laughing.gif

My fave is I Vampire for quality, But Creature commandos is a close second for pure fun & Goofiness!

"I, Vampire" fangs down! thumbsup2.gif

So, does fangs down = thumbs up or thumbs down confused.gif

Vampire slang for "A-OK" I suspect... smirk.gif

Jim

I agree. I just didn't like those Buckler Johnny Peril covers. Didn't exactly envoke shock and awe 27_laughing.gif

That's for sure! 27_laughing.gif But I do like this cover...slightly creepy and great colors! thumbsup2.gif

750674-Unexpected%23106.jpg

589a8c33c7469_750674-Unexpected106.jpg.f98073f03edf9f81ea4adf7563e05509.jpg