• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,915 posts in this topic

thumbsup2.gif Andy, seems like we're likely the same age and have similar taste in comics. smile.gif Check out the Toth web site I mentioned earlier-- it has a lot of the Toth backup stories from the early 70s posted verbatim, but with additional latter-day Toth commentaries.

Excellent - finally got to read the story, in full. Beautiful stuff, and a great story with an unusual coda.

Toth's notations are heavily self-critical (and scornful of others), but very interesting and entertaining nonetheless. Site bookmarked!

Yep, that's where I first read "The Demon Within" and "Dirty Job" (not to mention "Night of the Reaper") Here's the GCD cover scan...

2100_4_C-52.jpg

"Dirty Job" was drawn by Alex Toth. You can re-read it, including Toth's commentary here at the Toth fans web site. thumbsup2.gif

Wow....Thank you for posting the cover scan. I don't remember that cover at all, but I do remember the Batman story and the Superman story. If I recall correctly the Legion of Super-Heroes is in that tale. That was my first exposure to the teen superhero group of the future.

I also remember the Firehair story, but not being at all intersted in it as a kid. The same with The Dirty Job. I didn't know Toth drew it! Going now to read the story at his site. Thanks for the link!

I've been to that Toth site many times in the past - off and on. Yeah, he's a bit self-critical or whatever.

I Don't remember much of The Dirty Job except for those damn silhouettes. As a kid, it made quite an impression on me. I felt the subject matter was very Adult and the silhouettes reinforced that hot, bright desert climate lighting that I was accustomed to from viewings of Jesus Christ Superstar and the Life of Jesus Christ ( I may have the name wrong on this latter title, but it was aired on televisioin about once a year - around x-mas time).

Zonker, I was born in 1970. I have always loved the comic book instituition. nothing can compare to growing up reading comics. Nothing can be quite like getting a stack of comics from the flea market or through some acquaintance - family or friend. I was a very happy child with my comics! ah, what am I saying, I'm preaching to the very converted! lol.

Precodekeith and October - OMIGOD! I haven't seen this story since I was a kid! I had it in one of those large format DC editions! It just freaked me out as a kid! Yeah that last panel sent my brain into some weird territories thinking about that lobotomized boy.

Wow. Whatta blast from the past.Thanks for posting the entire story. Just amazing.

Sad to see Aparo gone.

We all lost Eisner too this year.

BTW,

What was the over-sized book I'm referring to? A treasury edition? I remember there was a heavy tale about Romans and crucifying Jesus Christ titled, "The Job". Any one have a scan of that book?

AWESOME! The over-sized edition is also where I initially read the story as a child! It is always a rush to hear from other collectors who remember this story as making an impact on them the same as it did with me! thumbsup2.gif

I got this one today from Donger. It's looks like a friggin' gorgeous NM, but has a 3" crease on the back cover that knocks it down to a VF. Still, I couldn't pass it up...winning bid of $6. screwy.gif

WH38.jpg

Looks like the copy that I bought a while back but returned due to the creases on the back cover. Too bad because I recall that it being very glossy.

Looks like the copy that I bought a while back but returned due to the creases on the back cover. Too bad because I recall that it being very glossy.

It's probably the same one. It has a 3" and a 1" diagonal crease on the bottom left back corner. Otherwise it's a great copy, with exceptional gloss. I guess Donger got ripped on it, he said that the seller didn't disclose the creases and wouldn't take returns. Maybe you got off lucky? In any case, it's nice enough for me, but certainly won't win any prizes if it's ever slabbed.

It's probably the same one. It has a 3" and a 1" diagonal crease on the bottom left back corner. Otherwise it's a great copy, with exceptional gloss. I guess Donger got ripped on it, he said that the seller didn't disclose the creases and wouldn't take returns. Maybe you got off lucky? In any case, it's nice enough for me, but certainly won't win any prizes if it's ever slabbed.

Yup, it's the same one. I recalled it having 2 creases on it. Too bad about the back cover because when I first received it, I was extremely happy...until I saw the back cover! foreheadslap.gif It's much glossier and fresher than my personal copy.

Yup, it's the same one. I recalled it having 2 creases on it. Too bad about the back cover because when I first received it, I was extremely happy...until I saw the back cover! foreheadslap.gif It's much glossier and fresher than my personal copy.

Yeah, the creases are pretty pronounced too. It's not like they barely break color. I am pretty forgiving when it comes to back cover defects though, especially when the front is as sharp as this one. The gloss is very nice and the colors are extremely bright. CGC would hammer it though. Did the seller advertise it as NM? I wonder how much Donger lost on the sale to me.

Yeah, the creases are pretty pronounced too. It's not like they barely break color. I am pretty forgiving when it comes to back cover defects though, especially when the front is as sharp as this one. The gloss is very nice and the colors are extremely bright. CGC would hammer it though. Did the seller advertise it as NM? I wonder how much Donger lost on the sale to me.

Yeah, it was advertised as NM but there was only a small FC scan. I took a chance without asking for further scans due to his feedback but was disappointed. I was able to get a refund without problems and even got my shipping reimbursed. I think Donger may have gotten it from a relative of this guy. I bought a book from someone else and his last name was the same as the original seller.

Yup, the BC wear shouldn't have been missed but who knows. confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah, it was advertised as NM but there was only a small FC scan. I took a chance without asking for further scans due to his feedback but was disappointed. I was able to get a refund without problems and even got my shipping reimbursed. I think Donger may have gotten it from a relative of this guy. I bought a book from someone else and his last name was the same as the original seller.

Yup, the BC wear shouldn't have been missed but who knows. confused-smiley-013.gif

It's funny how these books make the rounds. You would think that with thousands and thousands of copies printed, there would be almost no chance of the same book passing through the hands of people we know. Serves as a reminder of how small the hobby really is. Well, it has found a permanent home here, so nobody else need worry about undisclosed back cover creases. Now I need to sell the liberated CGC 7.0 copy I got from Sid. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Now I need to sell the liberated CGC 7.0 copy I got from Sid. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah, THAT one. foreheadslap.gif

Taught me a lesson to examine a book a little better before sending it in to CGC. Didn't even notice that tear as it was not started at the edge of the cover. Heck, I sold it to you for less than the CGC grading fee. crazy.gif

Now I need to sell the liberated CGC 7.0 copy I got from Sid. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah, THAT one. foreheadslap.gif

Taught me a lesson to examine a book a little better before sending it in to CGC. Didn't even notice that tear as it was not started at the edge of the cover. Heck, I sold it to you for less than the CGC grading fee. crazy.gif

Yeah, that was a shame. Another nice copy with a single large flaw. I will probably sell it, and the rest of my BA horror under 7.5, in a big lot sometime soon.

Yeah, that was a shame. Another nice copy with a single large flaw. I will probably sell it, and the rest of my BA horror under 7.5, in a big lot sometime soon.

I've been selling alot recently too. Just sold off most of my 7.0 and under BA DC horror just recently in small lots. I've kind of been going through a collecting change. Not buying nearly as many comics these days. I'm starting to get a little more focused on collecting bass guitars. I have four now, just purchased another that I haven't received yet, and waiting on word to see if I'm going to buy a sixth. I'll probably stop at eight before going back to buying comics. In the meantime I'm trying to lighten up the comic stash, buy more basses, then start in with comics again. It's funny when you think of either spending say $600 on a book(s) that will sit in a drawer untouched for years, or that same $600 on a musical instrument that you will actually use often. However, the comics will (hopefully) retain their value as compared to the instrument that immediately loses value upon purchase. Always a balance of things. confused-smiley-013.gif

I've been selling alot recently too. Just sold off most of my 7.0 and under BA DC horror just recently in small lots. I've kind of been going through a collecting change. Not buying nearly as many comics these days. I'm starting to get a little more focused on collecting bass guitars. I have four now, just purchased another that I haven't received yet, and waiting on word to see if I'm going to buy a sixth. I'll probably stop at eight before going back to buying comics. In the meantime I'm trying to lighten up the comic stash, buy more basses, then start in with comics again. It's funny when you think of either spending say $600 on a book(s) that will sit in a drawer untouched for years, or that same $600 on a musical instrument that you will actually use often. However, the comics will (hopefully) retain their value as compared to the instrument that immediately loses value upon purchase. Always a balance of things. confused-smiley-013.gif

A big pricetag can be hard to justify. That's why I look at my comics at least once a day. I really never get tired of reading them, grading them, or just looking at the covers. It does help to know that most of them won't depreciate, which is why I try to buy off eBay under market value. It leaves a little room for error so I don't get stuck with too much of a loss when I do sell.

It does help to know that most of them won't depreciate, which is why I try to buy off eBay under market value. It leaves a little room for error so I don't get stuck with too much of a loss when I do sell.

Certainly, my style too. That is one of the reasons I don't mind spending money on comics. Find them on Ebay for under market value due to a bad listing, inexperienced seller, large lot, good luck, etc. when you know that you can list it properly later on and make your money back and then some. So buying comics never seems like a waste and it is always fun. I just seem to buy more than I sell, so the mountain of books is growing faster than it is shrinking. Makes profiting kind of a mute point when it all funnels back in.

I got this one today from Donger. It's looks like a friggin' gorgeous NM, but has a 3" crease on the back cover that knocks it down to a VF. Still, I couldn't pass it up...winning bid of $6. screwy.gif

WH38.jpg

There's just something about the look of these DC covers. I love 'em. They're a bit crowded with text and baiting, but it defintitely harks back to an era.

Love that chimmney sweeping witch.

The reason why HOM 220 is so common

76_3.JPG

Comes from this auction --> Link

Although I have seen most of the multipacks, there are some that I haven't seen before. However, not the smartest way to sell them. gossip.gif