• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,917 posts in this topic

Shoot me now for this off-topic question - i'm curious to see where my fellow BA horror nuts think that the swamp-like creature in phantom stranger 14 fits in to the swamp thing mythos? any thoughts?

I think that issue will get the credit it deserves. Does OS recognize this issue as a Swampy prototype?

I'm currently shocked at how the PS books go for either very reasonable money or completely nuts. It's a secondary title for me so I'll grab 'em when they are reasonable.

See my above post. OS doesn't recognize it as a prototype because it came out after Swamp Thing's first appearance. It's not even broken out in guide.

See my above post. OS doesn't recognize it as a prototype because it came out after Swamp Thing's first appearance. It's not even broken out in guide.

Sorry, missed that. Wow... this sounds like something that needs to be fixed. I need to make up for my 179 mistake tongue.gif

Shoot me now for this off-topic question - i'm curious to see where my fellow BA horror nuts think that the swamp-like creature in phantom stranger 14 fits in to the swamp thing mythos? any thoughts?

Didn't that come out two or three months after HOS 92? Then again, so did HOM 195 and Overstreet breaks that one out. I guess you could consider all three issues Swamp Thing prototypes. confused-smiley-013.gif

Actually, HOS 92 counts as first appearance of Swamp Thing(Particulary since they added it to the canon later in the series). Anything prior would be a proto-type.

Actually, HOS 92 counts as first appearance of Swamp Thing(Particulary since they added it to the canon later in the series). Anything prior would be a proto-type.

I think both are equally important to the Swampy we know and love in Swamp Thing #1. The creature in PS #14, even though it turned out to be a guy in a rubber suit, had more aspects both in terms of appearance and themes in relation to ST than HOS #92...

Jim

I think both are equally important to the Swampy we know and love in Swamp Thing #1. The creature in PS #14, even though it turned out to be a guy in a rubber suit, had more aspects both in terms of appearance and themes in relation to ST than HOS #92...

Jim

I'm a slow typer! foreheadslap.gif

IIRC wasn't it just a man in a swamp monster costume at the end of the story in PS # 14 anyway? confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah...but he picked a good costume designer. I wonder if the story could have been written/drawn before HOS 92? Didn't DC and others used to have back-logs of stories and sometimes drop them into issues?

IIRC wasn't it just a man in a swamp monster costume at the end of the story in PS # 14 anyway? confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah...but he picked a good costume designer. I wonder if the story could have been written/drawn before HOS 92? Didn't DC and others used to have back-logs of stories and sometimes drop them into issues?

Not sure, but I guess they officially go by published dates anyway.

Interesting that a lot of ecological/enviromental theme stories were popping up around this time, ie. Aquamam, Teen Titans, Superman etc.

Here's my other HOM 179.

Got the book at the San Diego Con awhile back. I had just purchased it, turned the corner & there was Wrightson. Bang. Got it signed!

hom1791lr.jpg

I've posted this pix before, but here is Berni signing my HOM #179.

893applaud-thumb.gif

— Rick

1151345-Me-and-Bernie.jpg

1151345-Me-and-Bernie.jpg.ec96bec60e037ba51d5915810a61cb7c.jpg

After looking at some of these issues, it seemed apparent to me that quite a few are pressed.

I got my CLINK Rosa wins this afternoon and they seem okay to me, but I am no pressing expert. I bought 2 9.6s, 2 9.4s, 1 9.2, 3 9.0s and an 8.5 (all DC war and the B&TB). Since they are all on the lower end of high grade I am assuming it wouldn't have been worth the effort to press or "massage" them.

They definitely exhibit flaws that equate to their grade (staple stress on a few - is that a sign of pressing?). Anyone else get theirs?

I should have mine this weekend. There are many reasons why I believe *some* of these books were probably pressed:

• These books were probably purchased from Steve by Ewert, as one or more board members can attest as a distinct probability.
  • Some of these books, in the grade given by CGC, would've been graded by Steve if he thought he could obtain the grade (there are plenty of books graded by raw purchasers here that could dismiss this, but the very high grades are suspect).
  • Some of these books have a flat, pancake look.
  • Other telltale signs of a pressed book (unnatural stress marks, breaking color stress marks that look "squashed", etc)

I obviously have no smoking gun, but I think my hunches aren't far from the mark.

Post some of your books and let people see.

Thanks for the list. Of my purchases, I think this one exhibits some characteristics I don't see that often (and that only one other book has). Check out the top staple damage and the fanning on the right edge of the book.

For the record, none of the books look any more or less "flat" in the slab than other books of the same age I have personally submitted to CGC.

Those DC war books went for cheap. I was very tempted on those but I had to stick to my titles, which did enough damage to my wallet.

BTW, that book is suspect for pressing. Still looks great though. Those 9.2s and 9.4s could've been 8.5s before pressing, so don't rule out the motivation. I'm no expert either, but over the years of talking about and seeing pressed books here has given me an initial hunch or gut reaction that I'm starting to trust more.

Thanks for the list. Of my purchases, I think this one exhibits some characteristics I don't see that often (and that only one other book has). Check out the top staple damage and the fanning on the right edge of the book.

For the record, none of the books look any more or less "flat" in the slab than other books of the same age I have personally submitted to CGC.

Is the tip-off the way the cover seems smaller than the interior? To the best of my knowledge, I've never seen a pressed book. Oh, and that is a great looking book regardless of pressing. Colors are outstanding. Post 'em in the War thread 893crossfingers-thumb.gif