• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,928 posts in this topic

Man I still cant believe these prices, what do you guys think are the reasons for these jumps it seems in the last 2 years.

It boils down to (I think) the entry of hard core horror collectors who have deeper pockets. Either that or dealers are testing the waters to see how deep one will go. I still can count the number of HG completionists on one hand though.

I look at the HOM 197 CGC 9.8 for over $2k (my 9.6 was purchased and certified for ~$100) and think to myself...I would rather put it towards a KEY or EC GAINES FILE HG copy. 175, 176, and 179 are the only issues left that I would even REMOTELY think about paying 4 digits for (regardless of grade).

Just got off the phone with CGC and here are the latest grades on some DC horror books that I sent in. I'll get the scans in a few days and post them. Here are the grades until then......

House of Secrets 81 cgc8.5 Bought from Ted as a 9.0. Still looking for a nice 9.0 or better copy.

House of Secrets 81 cgc8.5 I can't remember where I bought this second copy from but I think whoever I bought it from graded it at 8.5.

House of Secrets 83 9.2 Bought from Metro(I think) as a 9.4. its a keeper.

House of Secrets 84 9.4 Don Rosa copy I bought this from Highgrade and he graded it at a NM-. Real glossy and another keeper893applaud-thumb.gif

House of Secrets 86 9.4 Oakland copy I bought this from Metro awhile backand they graded it at 9.4. Real glossy and another keeper893applaud-thumb.gif

House of Secrets 88 9.2 I bought this one from Ted and thought it was 9.0 with a slight chance at 9.2. Decent centering on this copy if I recall.

House of Secrets 89 9.0 Bought this from Metro as a 9.4 and I new right away it wasn't a 9.4. I thought it may come back at a 9.2 which is why I kept it. Guess I was wrong.

Grade whore I am.

Thanks Zonk Man! And I actually had a reader copy and actually read the story...the quality of these stories went WAY DOWN after Aparo left...including the scripts...imho. I kinda liked PS's discertations...I haven't read any of the Deadman stories later in the series yet...

Grade whore I am.

Thanks Zonk Man! And I actually had a reader copy and actually read the story...the quality of these stories went WAY DOWN after Aparo left...including the scripts...imho. I kinda liked PS's discertations...I haven't read any of the Deadman stories later in the series yet...

I agree. (About the Stranger series part, not necessarily the whore part! blush.gif )

This was probably the high point of scripter Len Wein's career: Stranger, JLA, Swamp Thing, and a couple of Batman stories (the werewolf Adams issue comes to mind). Wein's opening monologues were sometimes over the top, but in a cool Rod Sterling kind of way.

I never bothered to collect the series past #26, as the few I'd sampled were unreadable (and the Spawn of Frankenstein was even worse once Kaluta left). I do remember the letters to the editor really slamming the series post-26, and to DC's credit, they printed all the pans. It was you guys who made me appreciate the LD covers on the later part of the run, so now I do have a complete set. The last 3 or 4 issues are decent, early scripts by Paul Levitz and include the return of some of the supporting characters from Wein's run. Check 'em out!

I read #28 last week....very weak story and contrasts very differently to #22. Basically this guy commits crimes and he tries to let on that he has a multiple personality and that he is insane. Very straightforward and boring as compared to the earlier occult like issues. Even the Frankenstein stories start to look silly at this point. So yes, Ive read the earlier and the quality discrepency is undeniable. Spot on Zonkhead!

Personally, the very wordy Len Wein PS is the best. Keeping the alure of mystery and Jim Aparo as the artist were the best combo imho.

Quick question: Cassandra (the blind woman mystic that follows PS around fighting the Dark Circle)...how did they meet and which issue?

Oh, but the cover kicks 893censored-thumb.gif

B3177028.jpg