• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,909 posts in this topic

I think Ghosts has some of the best covers not done by guys like Adams and Wrightson. Cardy was firing on all cylinders when he was doing covers for Ghosts.

I agree--I think Dominguez is highly unrated as well. And Kubert really didn't get to shine that much in the horror realm but I really like some of the stuff he presented as well. Didn't care too much for the Heck / Giordinodo covers though. I know I massacred the spelling.

I like Dominguez a lot too. I especially like his Weird War covers

(thumbs u I agree-Dominguez, Kubert (and the woefully small number of Evans covers) made this an excellent run, especially the first 70 or so issues. The intro splashes bumped an already awesome title even more once they were introduced in #43 (by Talaoc, with Tanghal doing the lion's share of them).

I think Ghosts has some of the best covers not done by guys like Adams and Wrightson. Cardy was firing on all cylinders when he was doing covers for Ghosts.

Agree. Cardy did some of my fav Ghosts covers including #30, I would love the chance to own that cover OA! :cloud9:

lol, I guess I've forgotten how to search for posts....I need another WTTB training session.... doh!

That's what you get for believing you can leave this place. :baiting:

Cue Hotel California

I agree--I think Dominguez is highly unrated as well. And Kubert really didn't get to shine that much in the horror realm but I really like some of the stuff he presented as well. Didn't care too much for the Heck / Giordano covers though. I know I massacred the spelling.

I just wish DC had featured some more, for lack of a better word, dynamic artists on their horror books in the later parts of the runs. Kinda hard to go from Wrightson, Adams, Kaluta, and Cardy to what came later.

Yeah, there's a few Kaluta and Kubert covers, sure and even a previously unused Wrightson cover on Secrets of Haunted House 44 in 1982 but overall, the ends of those runs can't compare to the beginnings.

lol, I guess I've forgotten how to search for posts....I need another WTTB training session.... doh!

That's what you get for believing you can leave this place. :baiting:

Cue Hotel California

Indeed. You can check out anytime you like but you can never leave. Stab it with their steely knives, but you still can't kill the beast. :devil:

[Yeah, there's a few Kaluta and Kubert covers, sure and even a previously unused Wrightson cover on Secrets of Haunted House 44 in 1982 but overall, the ends of those runs can't compare to the beginnings.

Unfortunately, that's the case. I love them all because it's a set...it's like you can't start with desert without the main meal so from a collecting standpoint I'm all in....but If I had to chop 30% of my run the later 30% of the run would definitely be it...save for 1st I, Vampire and the occasional Adams, Wrightson, Kaluta, Kubert cover.... ironically though the later part of the run is what I bought off the stands and read as a kid, so there's still that nostalgic value....so still...tough call.

Very much the case with Weird War as well... once you get past 1975 there is a lot of dreck. You can still find some nice Alcala in there and the occasional Redondo or Estrada bit, but there are a lot of very forgetablle art jobs through the late 70s/early 80s....

Very much the case with Weird War as well... once you get past 1975 there is a lot of dreck. You can still find some nice Alcala in there and the occasional Redondo or Estrada bit, but there are a lot of very forgetablle art jobs through the late 70s/early 80s....

Oh man! Estrada, Alcala, Robbins, Redondo were SO good. They dipped into the Yandoc and Henson pool too often toward the end, and Creature Commandos was the nail in the coffin for me. I guess it would be tough for anyone to follow Heath, Kubert, Glanzman, Toth, with a cover each by Cardy, Kaluta and Wrightson to boot. The first year of WWT was epic.

I'm going to have to crack out a few for some light reading tonight!

Ya know, in the case of Weird War...I might make the exception to the rule. I absolutely detested the Creature Commandos and some of the stories starting around the early issue 90s on. Most of this genre was on life support for the last 3 years.

I'm no Creature Commandos fan either, although I do like the few GI Robot stories. Kind of a guilty pleasure thing.

The Gil Kane cover to 118 is pretty cool though

I was cool with that, as it was a theme executed quite earlier in the series...juxtaposing machines with emotion. I have a thing for Issac Asimov's theories as well and seeing it play out in a comic was more entertaining that a bunch of goofs that look like Universal's monsters doing crazy stuff.

I'm no Creature Commandos fan either, although I do like the few GI Robot stories. Kind of a guilty pleasure thing.

The Gil Kane cover to 118 is pretty cool though

I was cool with that, as it was a theme executed quite earlier in the series...juxtaposing machines with emotion. I have a thing for Issac Asimov's theories as well and seeing it play out in a comic was more entertaining that a bunch of goofs that look like Universal's monsters doing crazy stuff.

Would have loved to see a Creature (From the Black Lagoon) Commando! :insane: