• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,909 posts in this topic

Sterling, do you remember the story I was referring to?

Devil deals gone bad is a class of stories by itself. This almost sounds like an Unexpected story to me. Do you have an idea of the year range? Was the cover relating to the story?

That's the trouble, I can't remember exactly. It very well could be from an Unexpected, but I seem to remember Cain at the beginning and/or at the end. I have a gut feeling it might have been in one of those 100 pager HOM issues.

That's the trouble, I can't remember exactly. It very well could be from an Unexpected, but I seem to remember Cain at the beginning and/or at the end. I have a gut feeling it might have been in one of those 100 pager HOM issues.

Perusing....so far HOS 87 has a story called "Death has Marble Lips" where this man fantasizes about bringing this marble statue to life...ignoring his bride to be....resorting to black magic (which fails)....until Big S himself is called upon. The statue comes to life, and they kiss.....and then he turns to marble.

Still looking.

Hope you have the title right at least. I can peruse HOM/HOS/Witching Hour on my computer, but that's about it.

I appreciate your efforts! :foryou:

I remember discussing this very story with Shiverbones (perhaps in th this very thread) years ago. We were saying our favorite stories from the DC books. The Demon Within was one of the best along with The Game and Nightmare!

HOM 226 has a story "Garden of Evil" where a man sees a beautiful woman in a mirror and then joins her in the mirror realm. He convinces his wife (who he hasn't loved for some time) to take her place in the mirror so she can cross into the real world. Unfortunately, the psychiatrist breaks the mirror thinking he would come to his senses, but he's now stuck in the mirror world with the beautiful woman, who is really an ugly witch that lured him there. (She doesn't take kindly to it either).

I'm noticing a few "mirror" related stories....I just saw a movie the other day called "Mirrors" with Keifer Sutherland which has some very similar threads.

HOM 226 has a story "Garden of Evil" where a man sees a beautiful woman in a mirror and then joins her in the mirror realm. He convinces his wife (who he hasn't loved for some time) to take her place in the mirror so she can cross into the real world. Unfortunately, the psychiatrist breaks the mirror thinking he would come to his senses, but he's now stuck in the mirror world with the beautiful woman, who is really an ugly witch that lured him there. (She doesn't take kindly to it either).

I'm noticing a few "mirror" related stories....I just saw a movie the other day called "Mirrors" with Keifer Sutherland which has some very similar threads.

Funny, because I've been going back and re-reading most of the EC, Harvey, and Warren archives from the 50s - 60s, and it's amazing how similar these stories and themes are to that period. Also interesting is seeing the same stories slightly reworked over and over in some of the Eerie publications.

When are the DC bronze horror titles going to get the omnibus treatment? :pullhair:

I would be thrilled to have DC bronze get nice color archive treatment sometime soon. I think it will happen, but who knows when.

Marvel just announced a giant sized 2 volume Monsterbus with 50s and 60s tales, but speculation is it will be handpicked Kirby and Ditko work.

edit: looks like HOS is getting an omnibus!!! Good start and I'll be all over that.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1401272533/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=richjohnston-20&linkId=ca56754bdf8c1c9e8d3e937ad5055526

Edited by bronze_rules

Funny, because I've been going back and re-reading most of the EC, Harvey, and Warren archives from the 50s - 60s, and it's amazing how similar these stories and themes are to that period. Also interesting is seeing the same stories slightly reworked over and over in some of the Eerie publications.

When are the DC bronze horror titles going to get the omnibus treatment? :pullhair:

I would be thrilled to have DC bronze get nice color archive treatment sometime soon. I think it will happen, but who knows when.

Marvel just announced a giant sized 2 volume Monsterbus with 50s and 60s tales, but speculation is it will be handpicked Kirby and Ditko work.

edit: looks like HOS is getting an omnibus!!! Good start and I'll be all over that.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1401272533/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=richjohnston-20&linkId=ca56754bdf8c1c9e8d3e937ad5055526

I have discovered that there have been a ton of stuff released in HC/omnibus format over the last few years....and I'll simply run out of money collecting out of the DC and Marvel titles I've already started, so that's how I'm going to round it out.

WTH are they starting with HOS? Everyone knows HOM rules the roost! This does look like a "best of"....I guess we'll see.

I'd love everything DC has done in Bronze to early Modern in this format, though.

I have a ton of the 90s reprints for ECs and I'm reading those as well. I'm definitely going to be spending more time READING next year than buying....

BTW, does everyone know that Tales from the Crypt TV show is "kinda" coming back? The crypt keeper from the 90's HBO show is coming back (in a different form since it's licensed separately)....show however isn't going to be an anthology....I'm not so sure....Kassir was absolutely brilliant as the voice. Without him or the puppet.... :eek:

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/tales-from-the-crypt-m-night-shyamalan-tnt-horror-block-1201674257/

I REALLY want the new TFTC series to be awesome; there are a lot of things going against it tho. The latest I heard I that its going to be part of a block of programming, and they might go anthology format like HBO and the original comics, OR story arc a la American Horror Story. I also read that they are crowdsourcing story ideas. Ummm....hello? Bill and Al have all the story ideas you need. I like a majority of M Night's work (some are brilliant!), but I hope this isn't just a project they are tacking his name onto.

I REALLY want the new TFTC series to be awesome; there are a lot of things going against it tho. The latest I heard I that its going to be part of a block of programming, and they might go anthology format like HBO and the original comics, OR story arc a la American Horror Story. I also read that they are crowdsourcing story ideas. Ummm....hello? Bill and Al have all the story ideas you need. I like a majority of M Night's work (some are brilliant!), but I hope this isn't just a project they are tacking his name onto.

Everything I'm reading is it's a story arc that continues week after week...basically soap opera horror. Remember the 70s CLIFFHANGER series? Kinda like that.

I'm also told they will have a new crypt keeper...so given above my expectations are very low. I know fans are more or less rejecting some of that.

I'm in a prove it kind of mindset. I'd love ANYTHING horror related on TV that is ongoing though. And get rid of this PG13 that's permeating in the movie theaters. You can do more adult horror and it need not be the 80s slasher variety either.

Horror on TV I'm watching...

American Horror Story

Enjoying this season (Roenoke) so far. Past seasons were also good.

Ash vs the Evil Dead

Loved the movies and this second season is pretty entertaining! If you're a fan of over the top gore and camp, this is for you.

The Exorcist

A new series on FOX that has some pretty good chills so far. Only two episodes in so I'm still on the fence with this one. Hope it delivers...

Been a while since I posted in here, but will have some updates soon as I knocked out a few items on my want list.

After buying a HG raw copy off Banner, I then proceeded to nab this book off Heritage. I know, I know, its a Marvel, but a rare Wrightson Marvel. :cloud9:

ChamberofDrk8CGC94.jpg