• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,909 posts in this topic

Love horror comics but never been a fan of horror films, especially gore.

Big +1 on that.

Except for the old Universal horror movies which really aren't scary. I think I like the atmosphere more than being scared.

Big +1 on that.

Except for the old Universal horror movies which really aren't scary. I think I like the atmosphere more than being scared.

+1

Big +1 on that.

+1

I don't mind being scared but buckets of blood, dismemberment, and torture just repels me. Don't need to see that garbage.

Well I will say it is tough to create a horror comic! I've been working on an independent one shot with a buddy of mine for a year. I'm doing it in between other projects and it's weird working in this genre. Heavy stuff and kinda gloomy. Most of the stuff I do is more upbeat or horror comedy... I am having fun with it though. Hopefully I'll be able to post about it when it's done.

For me personally, the STORY is the most important element. Swamp Thing promises "sophisticated suspense"...so a great underlying story that continues to peel back the layers before the big reveal are the ones I like the most. As others have mentioned, the atmosphere/tone is the most important element.

Likewise, the best horror comics from me follow this same premise. What constitutes horror to me is the unthinkable, and those that use psychological / real elements is what pulls me in. Stories like "The Demon Within" in House of Mystery 201 perpetuates what I think great stories of this kind can really be.

Yes, there's also a place for "monster/supernatural" stories, it's just a different kind. I sometimes get in the mood for the gross/slasher variety, but that's not where I get my rocks off so to speak. The Kickstarter Untold comic looks to be of this variety, but I hope it can pull off some of the psychological aspects as well. Walking Dead found a niche both in gross/physical horror along with some of real world physiological aspects of putting reality into the unspeakable situation that our protagonists must deal with.

Because Bronze Horror was still under the comics code authority, the stories had to hold back a bit as compared to the physical / gross horror that permeated the pre-code error in the mid 50s. It had a mix of the smart stories that EC had but with a more modern slant (at least at the time). I definitely liked the Gothic nature of the early 70s issues....a lot of what I like in bronze are in those first 3 years of the 70s. Shows like "Night Gallery" out at the same time also captures what I think is a compromise of both the physical/physiological horror with some of the more comedic and eclectic stories that sometimes look like a reflection of a bad acid trip.

Totally agree!

One of my all time favorites from those early issues was The Game by Neal Adams in HOS 178. Something about the innocence of a child being able to outwit evil. Also taps into the psychological terror of a father worried about the safety of his son! A perfect story IMHO!

s-l300.jpg

I wasn't a fan of the Babadook. I had high hopes but in the end I thought the acting was overdone and the story was a depressing let down.

On a positive note I loved the production value of the book and the bad guy was done well.

The ending was solid.

I agree, I thought it was bit overrated. One recent film I greatly enjoyed though was "The Witch" - Great creepy atmosphere, particularly towards the end.

Sounds cool Cristian, can you tell the premise? :wishluck:

Anthology... Seperate stories. Most are experimental horror. Need to get it outta my system. All these years of reading and collecting horror rags.... I gotta do my take on it. Something different as a little vacation before I wrap up my Korgi series with book 5.

Also, I just finishing assembling all the bronze horror DC runs. I'll go look up that HOM Adams story you posted about.

My favorite horror series (so far) is actually a modern book: Rachel Rising. I had heard good things for a while, but just looked into it as the series was ending (which just happened). I'm about halfway through the TPBs now. Really good stuff. I can't recommend it enough, especially if you like horror, suspense, and Good vs. Evil type stuff.

My favorite horror series (so far) is actually a modern book: Rachel Rising. I had heard good things for a while, but just looked into it as the series was ending (which just happened). I'm about halfway through the TPBs now. Really good stuff. I can't recommend it enough, especially if you like horror, suspense, and Good vs. Evil type stuff.

I'm assuming it has TBPs for me to get caught up, or is it a recent startup? Will check.

Totally agree!

One of my all time favorites from those early issues was The Game by Neal Adams in HOS 178. Something about the innocence of a child being able to outwit evil. Also taps into the psychological terror of a father worried about the safety of his son! A perfect story IMHO!

In my mind, a child is not susceptible to evil since it has not been soiled with complex moralities that evolve us as we mature in life. Good/Evil is not necessarily a complex thing, we as adults make it so based on our ethics and morals. I love picking at the philosophical aspects of stories like this, which is a get tool for introspection. A story that can do MORE than simply shock and entertain make it the best. I'll throw out some more examples in a while once we hit more rounds.

I'm assuming it has TBPs for me to get caught up, or is it a recent startup? Will check.

The series stared ~2011 if I remember correctly, and it just finished this year. Yes, there are individual TPBs that collect several issues at time, but the omnibus just came out which collects all of the issues (42). Had I not already started getting the TPBs, I'd get the omnibus. It's a monster at 900-ish pages! Terry Moore sells the omnibus from his website, but your LCS may also carry it.

http://www.terrymooreart.com/

The series stared ~2011 if I remember correctly, and it just finished this year. Yes, there are individual TPBs that collect several issues at time, but the omnibus just came out which collects all of the issues (42). Had I not already started getting the TPBs, I'd get the omnibus. It's a monster at 900-ish pages! Terry Moore sells the omnibus from his website, but your LCS may also carry it.

Ordered the omnibus from instocktrades.... previewed the art on youtube and looks interesting...thanks! At .05 per page the omnibus feels like a great bargain.

Ordered the omnibus from instocktrades.... previewed the art on youtube and looks interesting...thanks! At .05 per page the omnibus feels like a great bargain.

Awesome, let us know how you like it!

Totally agree!

In my mind, a child is not susceptible to evil since it has not been soiled with complex moralities that evolve us as we mature in life. Good/Evil is not necessarily a complex thing, we as adults make it so based on our ethics and morals. I love picking at the philosophical aspects of stories like this, which is a get tool for introspection. A story that can do MORE than simply shock and entertain make it the best. I'll throw out some more examples in a while once we hit more rounds.

There was another story that I'd like to re read from a HOM or HOS. Had to do with a guy making a deal with the devil to bring his little girl back to life and at the end he gets her and everything seems fine. In actuality though, the last scene is the man obviously deranged (and tricked by the devil), holding the dead girl. Pretty shocking for a code approved book!

Recent pick-ups.

Have been looking for a nice, reasonably priced

copy of this and finally found one!

s-l1600-2_zpsvmu36vxr.jpg

And this book that I recently picked up from a board member.

An upgrade to my current copy.

E220E8D0-1FFF-4C37-B7AC-8224EE8FC420_zpsg70lngoz.jpg

There was another story that I'd like to re read from a HOM or HOS. Had to do with a guy making a deal with the devil to bring his little girl back to life and at the end he gets her and everything seems fine. In actuality though, the last scene is the man obviously deranged (and tricked by the devil), holding the dead girl. Pretty shocking for a code approved book!

I was able to get a torrent with all of the HOM/HOS books in digital form before they got taken down (I'm of course legal b/c I own the physical books); I do plan on re-reading the series and giving you guys some of my ideas of the better stories.