• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGG (not CGC) holder professionally tested PLASTIC NOT ARCHIVAL!!!

411 posts in this topic

I received some interesting information in my e-mail box this afternoon. It seems that the CGG holder was sent in to an independant lab for materials testing...

I've attached some of the documentation that I've received. Basically the person who sent the information wants to remain anonymous.

The gist of the analysis (page 2) is that the CGG holder is made of Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC).

PVC is probably the worst thing you could put your comic in as it off-gasses CHLORINE GAS (Chloride) which will be absorbed by the paper and speed up the aging process .

Archival experts say that any you should always steer clear of products containing PVC.

Here's a small sample of information on PVC I was able to find on the net:

Hazards:* Highly plasticized plastics (such as polyvinyl chloride PVC) are not suitable for long term storage of photographic images and should be avoided. Plasticized materials are may cause sticking or ferrotyping of the image surface resulting in irreparable damage to film and print images. Plasticizers can exude sticky droplets and gooey coatings on photographic surfaces. Eastman Kodak, Ilford, and Polaroid all have advised to avoid PVC.

Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) - A plastic, often abbreviated as PVC. It is not as chemically stable as some other plastics, since it can emit damaging hydrochloric acid as it deteriorates, and therefore has limited application in the preservation of books, photographs, and paper. Some plastics called vinyl may be polyvinyl chloride.

Anti-archival is an understatement.

Mylar and Barex (what CGC uses) does NOT off-gas.

Kev

589a8c54f2b11_451609-page2.jpg.5ede6802d2b9e894f94af2b7c3f9283b.jpg