• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Date Stamps On Comics....

44 posts in this topic

Can you take some close-up photos of the X-Men #1 so that we can see what we think the grade will be?

I am submitting 10 books for grading this week with 10 at a time to follow thanks to the advice from all of you guys here.

All my books look basically like my X-Men #1 , my X-Men #111 and my X-Men #100

so I am having all the books to #150 graded, I'm just getting my really good ones like #1 thru 10 done, my Giant Size #1 and so on first.

I just keep finding different stuff here that I have questions with...you guys are a WEALTH of knowledge.

sure. I am working right now ( not really, I own and operate a website...it's not real work ) so I can later when I got a chance. This is the good thing about having an INTARWEB JOB...I can hang out in the forums a lot between doing real work. wink.gif

Date stamps don't bother me. I don't know what the fuss about them is. popcorn.gif

I agree entirely... Especially if it means I can pick up a book for less. Occasionally, however, it goes a little over-board:

thrilling_09.jpg

foreheadslap.gif

Im sorry....im having a bit of difficulty here. Could someone please tell me what date is stamped on there. insane.gif

I spit out my drink when I saw that number 1....

That is a high grade for sure in my oppinion.

Thanks! Most of my comics are pretty good like that...

....BUT....

I have no room to laugh at messed up comics. I have a winner or two that I had to replace here recently when I finished off my collection.

Feel free to laugh...I'm the person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point that did this to that comic...and yes, that is deep grooved ball point pen. UGH!

EXAMPLE A#:

x-men_37_bad.jpg

For some people date stamps reduce the eye appeal, but it does not affect the technical grade (with everything I think except 9.9 and 10)... otherwise the date stamp is fine.

I would say overall a date stamp does not affect the value of a book... for me it doesn't reduce eye appeal. I actually like them.

No need to try and remove it.

Put your money where your mouth is and date stamp all your books.

Feel free to laugh...I'm the [!@#%^&^] that did this to that comic...and yes, that is deep grooved ball point pen. UGH!

That's gotta hurt! But still - the X-Men 37 looks just so nice (yeah - the ballpoint ruins it but looking past that.) You have to post more from your collection.

actually, almost all of my comics are mine. Either given to me by my father or collected by myself. I was a huge X-men nerd ( well, I'm still a huge nerd ) and I personally bought most of these off the rack.

here is the offending stamp.

x-men_damnstamp.jpg

That is better than alot i have seen.

Plus it is really faint.

That comic is mangled!! better send it to me right away so i can dispose of it properly!

That's gotta hurt! But still - the X-Men 37 looks just so nice (yeah - the ballpoint ruins it but looking past that.) You have to post more from your collection.

I replaced #37, but I keep that one around for laughs.

I have the all the X-men #1 - #350, I am going to get them graded ( just 1 - 150 ). Here soon, I will take the time to photo them all ( scanner ) and put them online so people can check them out.

I have been snapping pics here and there for the forums. I am honestly surprised I never found these forums before. foreheadslap.gif

I have been snapping pics here and there for the forums. I am honestly surprised I never found these forums before.

It took a friend who shares my interest in horror films to point me to these boards (the late lamented DoilbyDickles - where the heck IS he anyway???). Have had a tangle here and a fight there and a polite disagreement - err - well - polite? OK - one or two times! shocked.gifgrin.gif

But is a great place filled with great folk! thumbsup2.gif

While I am on the subject...I have a question. See the top of this book above the 99? The black ink is missing right there ( printing screw-up ) that looks like damage or a tear, but it isn't it is the yellow ink. Do you get marked down for that by CGC when graded?

x-men_weirdink.jpg

While I am on the subject...I have a question. See the top of this book above the 99? The black ink is missing right there ( printing screw-up ) that looks like damage or a tear, but it isn't it is the yellow ink. Do you get marked down for that by CGC when graded?

It may depending on the grade of the book if all were the same and the MCK inks WERE there.

actually, almost all of my comics are mine. Either given to me by my father or collected by myself. I was a huge X-men nerd ( well, I'm still a huge nerd ) and I personally bought most of these off the rack.

here is the offending stamp.

x-men_damnstamp.jpg

Excellent books. I'm enjoying the pics of your collection.

But will you please...for my peace of mind...bag and board your books with material in the correct size?

Nothing makes my skin crawl quite like seeing a beautiful book with a board that is 1/16" too small.

893frustrated.gif

it is the yellow ink. Do you get marked down for that by CGC when graded?

You won't get knocked much if any for a tiny bit of distributor ink.

A minor production flaw, IMO.

Great looking books! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Excellent books. I'm enjoying the pics of your collection.

But will you please...for my peace of mind...bag and board your books with material in the correct size?

Nothing makes my skin crawl quite like seeing a beautiful book with a board that is 1/16" too small. 893frustrated.gif

Actually, I had discussed this in another thread. I "thought" I had good bags and boards simply becasue I didn't know there was a difference between boards. Turns out I have the garden variety cheapy bags-n-boards.

The guys here smacked me around a bit until I agreed to order the good stuff from www.egerber.com wink.gif I have 400 bags and boards, the GOOD stuff on the way to redo my collection. I also have separate smaller comic book boxes coming to divy-up my collection to minimize damage while they are stored.

I'm learning!! I'm learning!