• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Moon Knight in the same league....

51 posts in this topic

Moon Knight is a Batman rip-off that Marvel didn't even bother to disguise. He is a third tier character that they keep trying to make into a solid second tier character (like Daredevil or Black Panther). I know lots of people love Moon Knight, and that is great. But the character is unoriginal, marginal, and will likely continue to have series that last 15-20 issues, especially if they put a hot artist on at the beginning.

Sincerely,

--S (not a Moon Knight hater, but a Moon Knight realist.)

This

Moon Knight is a Batman rip-off that Marvel didn't even bother to disguise. He is a third tier character that they keep trying to make into a solid second tier character (like Daredevil or Black Panther). I know lots of people love Moon Knight, and that is great. But the character is unoriginal, marginal, and will likely continue to have series that last 15-20 issues, especially if they put a hot artist on at the beginning.

Sincerely,

--S (not a Moon Knight hater, but a Moon Knight realist.)

Hammer square on the nail head.

I like MK but it depends on the book & the writer currently enjoying him in secret avengers & enjoying his own mini as well... if just because he is going crazy again this time but in a good way :D

I don't put moon knight as an A lister. Personally I think he is around the B level but many people have different arguments as to why he isn't. Regardless what people say about him being a batman rip off well we could use the same argument and say he is a rip off of some other characters before his time.

To say that there is no originality I think is unfair due to there is many things going on with this character beyond anything with Batman.

I like Batman as well. In fact I had Batman and gi joe comics before Moon Knight. In the end though I just grew to like Moon Knight. Probably because when I first saw the covers I thought it was a monster/horror book and then as I read on he was like a ninja and ninjas where big with me in that era since we had Storm Shadow an other character that wore white. Also note that I am probably 50/50 when it comes to gi joe and moon knight.

Interesting fact though that I might have been brain washed by a subliminal ad in GI Joe books to like Moon Knight.

Not even close to a DD, Spidey, or Wolverine level character.

But I believe he has the potential. Frankly, I've never read a good MK book.

Same thing as Blade.

Take away some decent art and it's fairly bad.

Pat

Daredevil, Spider-Man and Wolverine all had major motion pictures made for those characters.

Moon Knight hasn't (yet).

Moon Knight has one strike against him in that his rogue's gallery of nemesis isn't deep. I can't think of a single great villain that was created to go against Moon Knight.

I thought the stories and Bill Sienkiewicz's original artwork was enjoyable and entertaining. I liked David Finch's artwork and Steven Platt's... but what the character lacks is what Daredevil lacked up until Frank Miller stepped in... and that's simply good writing. I can buy into Moon Knight being one epic storyline away from becoming a top tier character...

...get a good writer onto Moon Knight !!!

Daredevil, Spider-Man and Wolverine all had major motion pictures made for those characters.

Moon Knight has one strike against him in that his rogue's gallery of nemesis isn't deep. I can't think of a single great villain that was created to go against Moon Knight.

I thought the stories and Bill Sienkiewicz's original artwork was enjoyable and entertaining. I liked David Finch's artwork and Steven Platt's... but what the character lacks is what Daredevil lacked up until Frank Miller stepped in... and that's simply good writing. I can buy into Moon Knight being one epic storyline away from becoming a top tier character...

...get a good writer onto Moon Knight !!!

doh!

It was only circumstance that he didnt have anything in a movie or tv so that point is mute. If circumstances where different we would have had one season at least on tv in which the show itself had nothing to do with it not being aired.

...and you have bendis on the series right now. From my understanding that is a good writer!

.....and just a side note that 2nd printing variant of this new Moon Knight series really reminds me ofthe 1980's books for the cover art.

I havn't read them yet since I am on strike with marvel.

I like Moon Knight.

Doesn't change that he's a third-tier character (yes--C-list).

And a Moon Knight TV series wouldn't work--they already did one--it was called Night Man.

SeanFingh's initial response was perfect.

I get the Moon Knight love, but be realistic. Esp. with regard to popularity. Wolverine/Spiderman = A-list. Daredevil/Captian America/Hulk = B list. B- list = Silver Surfer and Dr. Strange.

C-list: Moon Knight/Black Panther/Iron Fist.

And, while I've owned a few copies, I have zero faith in the long-term potential of WBN 32. The book's more popular for being rare in high grade than for the character's popularlity. Same thing holds for Hero for Hire 1, except that it has _far_ more cultural significance (first successful series starring an African American).

I like Moon Knight.

Doesn't change that he's a third-tier character (yes--C-list).

And a Moon Knight TV series wouldn't work--they already did one--it was called Night Man.

SeanFingh's initial response was perfect.

I get the Moon Knight love, but be realistic. Esp. with regard to popularity. Wolverine/Spiderman = A-list. Daredevil/Captian America/Hulk = B list. B- list = Silver Surfer and Dr. Strange.

C-list: Moon Knight/Black Panther/Iron Fist.

And, while I've owned a few copies, I have zero faith in the long-term potential of WBN 32. The book's more popular for being rare in high grade than for the character's popularlity. Same thing holds for Hero for Hire 1, except that it has _far_ more cultural significance (first successful series starring an African American).

If they stayed away from the cheesiness such as the Blade series I personally think it would have done well. They also had a team up with a production company that had tv shows that where all doing well. If it wasn't for the writers strike we would have at least had a pilot.

Just have to make sure you have a good writing team and half decent actors. Look at Heroes in which they had so much to work with, first season in my opiniion along with some of the later episodes where pretty good but then repetition settled in and they just floated away. Was dissapointing since they had so much to work with. I think this is a prime example of even having something great and letting it fail.

An other example is V. I was super excited for that show and loved the show from my childhood. But the latest series started out strong and then was a snore fest. Again they had so much to work with but the writers sucked. To many differences in my opinion and not enough battles but maybe that was the fanboy in me.

Here's some tidbits I bet most people don't know.

Moon Knight's costume is really BLACK with a silver cape.

Here's BillS' take on it.

BillSComment.jpg

In addition to many, MANY references in the stories themselves like this opening splash page from issue #13:

jet002.jpg

It's really a shame most people think of him as dressed in white, or that the Bowen "white version" statue is the rare and "correct" version.. :/

This custom paint job version is the most accurate.

mycustomdsc0034ss8.jpgmycustomdsc0031zj6.jpg

mycustomdsc0036vi1.jpg

BillSComment.jpg

In addition to many, MANY references in the stories themselves like this opening splash page from issue #13:

jet002.jpg

It's really a shame most people think of him as dressed in white, or that the Bowen "white version" statue is the rare and "correct" version.. :/

This custom paint job version is the most accurate.

mycustomdsc0034ss8.jpgmycustomdsc0031zj6.jpg

mycustomdsc0036vi1.jpg

I have seen that article.

His gauntlets and weapons where silver though for good reason :)

I have also heard that part of the misconception was because of the inking/colouring and paper process back then when it came to detailing.

If it is because I stated that I liked white and Storm Shadow wore white was because this was back when I was a kid and was under that misconception back then.

Ghost Rider has, but I would basically put Moon Knight in the same category. The only thing I really know about Moon Knight is Bill S. did some great covers.

jet002.jpg

When I first looked at the splash page I thought ti said "The Cream of The Jester" :sick:

I like Moon Knight but I wouldn't put him anywhere near the same league as Spider-man, Wolverine or Hulk. IMO Moon Knight is C list at best. There are just too many Marvel Characters that are more recognizable, better used in the Marvel Universe and more flexible than Moon knight for him to be considered so highly.

My question would be, slightly :signofftopic: how popular is Wolverine?

His single titles never seem to last long (I maybe wrong) where as DareDevil at least when into the hundreds?

Is X-Men seen as "Wolverine feat the X-Men"?

I'm not a Marvel guy so just interested on peoples take?

Wolverine isn't at issue 250-300 now because re-boots made Marvel lots of money, not because sales couldn't sustain the title. At any given time Wolvie has 2-5 titles selling pretty well...better than DDs 1-2 titles, which usually sell a little bit worse.