• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FANDOM
3 3

504 posts in this topic

[font:Times New Roman]This thread hasn't been bumped in awhile, so here are several more nostalgic con photos from those thrilling days of yesteryear to move this thread back up to page one: :bump:

OPG contributor, collector and dealer, attorney Eric Groves (bargain hunting, circa '78)...

earlyconphotos-15.jpg

Dealer with customers (unknown), Okla. Alliance of Fans (OAF) Winter Con, Okla. City (circa '78)...

earlyconphotos-17.jpg

Dealer or artist (unknown), unsure which, Winter Con (as above, circa '78)...

earlyconphotos-21.jpg

Feel free to share your own convention/fandom experiences or help fill in the blanks where those pictured aren't identified.[/font]

[font:Times New Roman]This thread hasn't been bumped in awhile, so here are several more nostalgic con photos from those thrilling days of yesteryear to move this thread back up to page one: :bump:

>>>>>SNIP

earlyconphotos-21.jpg

Feel free to share your own convention/fandom experiences or help fill in the blanks where those pictured aren't identified.[/font]

The bottom pic is of a original art dealer who ran a firm he called Creative Services. he advertised in RBCC, TBG

Robert Beerbohm

It is kind of sad that we can't remember each other even though we went to cons at the same time in the same places. But hell, such are memories, right?

I've just written a book called 'Trek in Texas: the 1970s Star Trek Conventions'. It's available on Amazon, if anyone's interested.

There are some old pics around, I've discovered... one site is called Fanlore, I think. Lots of old program book covers and others.

It is kind of sad that we can't remember each other even though we went to cons at the same time in the same places. But hell, such are memories, right?

I've just written a book called 'Trek in Texas: the 1970s Star Trek Conventions'. It's available on Amazon, if anyone's interested.

There are some old pics around, I've discovered... one site is called Fanlore, I think. Lots of old program book covers and others.

[font:Times New Roman]Thanks for the heads-up, Gordon. you've made at least one sale.[/font] (thumbs u

My last entry for the evening is a photo of a dealer; I'm not sure on this one (maybe Bruce Hamilton?). It's from a mid-70's Houstoncon if I'm not mistaken.

earlyconphotos-22.jpg

THE FELLOW IS HERB DOLPH

Before I start this thread I must apologize to AdamStrange for not posting this material in his thread. I've been working on this for over a week, locating aging photographs, scanning and correcting the color as best I can and preparing something that I was hoping would be both a personal and shared experience.

This isn't about kings or princes, but glimpses of where we've come from as collectors, dealers and fans in general. I have no clue as to how to organize things in any retrospective order as many of the dates and locations are not clear.

What is clear to me, however, is that I don't want this to be merely a soapbox for my history. As I'm sharing photographs, art, autographed programs and fan memorabilia, I'd hope that others will post some of their memories too, whether images or interesting anecdotes.

With that, I'll start with one of the silliest least consequential fan photographs I've unearthed, taken by me of a group of happy fans in an elevator. I don't personally know any of the folks here, but maybe someone will recognize a friend (1974; either Dallas or Houstoncon)...

earlyconphotos-28.jpg

DON WOOLEY in green shirt

comichistory1.jpg

comichistory2.jpg

Excellent article; fascinating story! :applause:

Here are a couple of more dealers room shots from an early 70's convention (probably Multicon in OKC)...

earlyconphotos-24.jpg

earlyconphotos-11.jpg

I haven't been able to identify many folks in these (except perhaps a red bearded John Harper looking through books in the bottom photo); if anyone thinks that they recognize anyone, please jump in. hm

ROGER HILL sitting on table (2nd fellow)

Another shot from a late 70's or early '80's Wintercon (not sure of the date, '79 perhaps) put on by OAF; several fans working registration (names unknown; any help identifying dates and who's who is greatly appreciated)...

earlyconphotos-18.jpg

RICK AND TERI PAYNE and the back of JOHN BREWER's head

Bruce Schultz (dealer; Popeye collector/historian) and son (probably Wintercon '76) ...

earlyconphotos-16.jpg

Bruce now resides in the D/FW Metroplex and has a site devoted to Popeye collectables.

the kid is CHARLIE FREDGREN

OPG contributor, collector and dealer, attorney Eric Groves (bargain hunting, circa '78)...

earlyconphotos-15.jpg

Dealer with customers (unknown), Okla. Alliance of Fans (OAF) Winter Con, Okla. City (circa '78)...

earlyconphotos-17.jpg

earlyconphotos-21.jpg

DEALER IN MIDDLE PICTURE IS DENVER SHERRY

Edited by Bart

655309216_o.jpg

Not exactly a convention picture.. but this was my bedroom in 1968. The 4 Tracy movie posters, and then around the top border of the room were all the lobby cards .. Still have them all! Rest of the stuff are more Tracy Comics and etc.. I was 17.

655309223_o.jpg

It's me again.. this time with artwork! ( 1969) And my comic book spinner that i got when i was 11. Still have both.

Hi Bart. Thanks sharing all of these. Those Newtons are tremendous. He was a personal favorite and in my opinion very much underappreciated. We lost him way too young.

And you haven't aged a bit.

Jeff