• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FANDOM
3 3

504 posts in this topic

It was just a one-off fan strip, kind of unusual for RBCC to publish at the time... at the end, I THINK the killer was revealed to be Billy Batson! But it's been so long since I read it, I can't be sure.

Was it "Savage Earth"?

This is from Wiki -

"Newton did one major strip during this time, which ran for more than a year in the RBCC called The Savage Earth. Over a period stretching from 1968 to 1970 the science fiction strip appeared in issues 60-70 of the RBCC'. Issue #65 of the RBCC sported a Newton Savage Earth painting as its cover."

It was just a one-off fan strip, kind of unusual for RBCC to publish at the time... at the end, I THINK the killer was revealed to be Billy Batson! But it's been so long since I read it, I can't be sure.

Was it "Savage Earth"?

This is from Wiki -

"Newton did one major strip during this time, which ran for more than a year in the RBCC called The Savage Earth. Over a period stretching from 1968 to 1970 the science fiction strip appeared in issues 60-70 of the RBCC'. Issue #65 of the RBCC sported a Newton Savage Earth painting as its cover."

I don't think that was it. I vaguely remember the strip he's thinking about. I don't remember it as being Newton necessarily. Maybe Russ Maharis or somebody with a similar style. Plus, I'm thinking it was in the Buyer's Guide, so maybe I'm remembering something else.

The Comic Buyer's Guide 16 82 Information on a proposed series at DC called "Captain Thunder", written by Roy Thomas and drawn by Don Newton. The book, a take-off on Captain Marvel was never published. Captain Thunder seems to have been a black version of Captain Marvel, whose secret identity, like CM's was that of Billy Batson. "When Billy Batson speaks the name of the ancient wizard Shazam -- he is transformed into Captain Thunder -- the World's Mightiest Mortal of Earth-One." At least that's what the proposal said about this updating of the Captain Marvel character.

Anyway, look at this check list and it might jog your memory -

Don Newton Fandom Checklist

No, it definitely wasn't 'Savage Earth.' I'm certain of that. And it definitely wasn't in the Buyer's Guide either. Weird Paper may be right that it was someone other than Don Newton. I don't think it ran for a year- maybe three or four issues. It wasn't real long. And I'm equally sure somebody ended up with the original art to it... either through an auction or a raffle or contest of some sort. It was kind of a big deal at the time and I'm almost positive it was in RBCC.

Thinking of the other fan artists who were around back then, I have to say I'd be surprised if it WASN'T Don Newton, but it's possible.

Bits and pieces I remember from it... for one thing, it was so easy for the killer to do away with the various superheroes. I think he just used a rifle. He'd see Hawkman flying toward him and he'd just shoot him out of the sky. Then the Flash showed up and the guy just shot him too. It was kind of like that. I don't think it was meant to be 100% serious.

I'm going to do some searches and see if I can find anything. This is bugging me now. lol

I should have all of these issues but can't lay my hands on all the issues in which it ran. It was by Ron Wilbur with an assist by Jim Van Hise, I believe.

This is from the strip in #142. I would post pics of a few pretty graphic Wonder Woman panels in this one but they are adult only - makes you wonder how she stayed in her costume, well she actually didn't :blush:

D9DCB77E-E7BF-4680-9369-EA14EC7C8D8F-2554-000003DEE20BD60F_zps8c0073a2.jpg

Ha! I found it. It was called 'Massacre of the Innocents' and it ran in RBCC #'s 85 - 87 in 1971 and 1972. A guy named Brad Caslor wrote and drew it. (Don't know why I thought it was Don Newton.)

You can see it at http://thegoldenagesite.blogspot.com

Now I'll be able to sleep tonight.

Well I was off by several years. I need to dig through and see what I have of those issues.

[font:Times New Roman]Noticing the recent resurgence in fan nostalgia with early SDCC convention photos popping up in the Scrapbook thread I figure it's about time for a thread bump... :bump:

Actually I'm using this as an excuse to mention plug two upcoming convention reunions with loads of GA (dealers, fans & comics). These events will undoubtably be cause for celebration in Houston and Oklahoma City.

The Son of Houstoncon on Sept. 28th at the Hilton Southwest...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6961254

OAFCON on November 9-10th. Biltmore Hotel in OKC...

http://oafcon2013.blogspot.com

Now that I know what my schedule looks like for the next month I'll be attending the Son of HoustonCon and may set-up there, if there are any tables left! Not sure about the OAFCON this year due to the fact that my wife & I may be in the middle of filming the Morganville web-series around that time, but that's another topic for another thread.

Never fear, if things go as planned I'll put together a con-report with photos of the Son of Houstoncon.

One caveat though: If you're looking for well endowed femme-fans in costume, fergettaboutit! Take solace in the fact that my focus will primarily on dealers and droolworthy comics. Think about the target audience and general age group of the venerable folks gracing this event, ...then extrapolate that to cos-players wearing spandex... :eek: ...not a pretty sight. :blush:

Trust me, you'll thank me later! lol [/font]

[font:Times New Roman]Noticing the recent resurgence in fan nostalgia with early SDCC convention photos popping up in the Scrapbook thread I figure it's about time for a thread bump... :bump:

Actually I'm using this as an excuse to mention plug two upcoming convention reunions with loads of GA (dealers, fans & comics). These events will undoubtably be cause for celebration in Houston and Oklahoma City.

The Son of Houstoncon on Sept. 28th at the Hilton Southwest...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6961254

OAFCON on November 9-10th. Biltmore Hotel in OKC...

http://oafcon2013.blogspot.com

Now that I know what my schedule looks like for the next month I'll be attending the Son of HoustonCon and may set-up there, if there are any tables left! Not sure about the OAFCON this year due to the fact that my wife & I may be in the middle of filming the Morganville web-series around that time, but that's another topic for another thread.

Never fear, if things go as planned I'll put together a con-report with photos of the Son of Houstoncon.

One caveat though: If you're looking for well endowed femme-fans in costume, fergettaboutit! Take solace in the fact that my focus will primarily on dealers and droolworthy comics. Think about the target audience and general age group of the venerable folks gracing this event, ...then extrapolate that to cos-players wearing spandex... :eek: ...not a pretty sight. :blush:

Trust me, you'll thank me later! lol [/font]

The Weird Paper conglomerate will be setting up again this year!

We will be set up at the Houston show. I have it on good authority that there will be a couple of surprise guest/boardies making the trip. There might even be a lurker or two. It should be fun.

Wish I could make OAF, but Minneapolis is calling my name that weekend.

Speaking of Houstoncon...I was reading the comic section in The Encyclopedia of Collecting (Time-Life Books 1978), the author Richard E. Marschall writes that selling back-issue comics was becoming a serious business as evidenced by the transactions at the many comic conventions. He describes an incident at a Houstoncon possibly in 1968 or maybe earlier where a California dealer was enraged because he was offered only 2 cents each for the 3000 Marvel comics he had lugged from California. Possibly unhappy with the prospect of having to bring all those books back to California, he dumped all 3000 books into the hotel swimming pool. Marschall figures each of those Marvels would have been worth about $3 each in 1978. Could anyone who was there or hear about this have more details or was this an exaggeration?

Speaking of Houstoncon...I was reading the comic section in The Encyclopedia of Collecting (Time-Life Books 1978), the author Richard E. Marschall writes that selling back-issue comics was becoming a serious business as evidenced by the transactions at the many comic conventions. He describes an incident at a Houstoncon possibly in 1968 or maybe earlier where a California dealer was enraged because he was offered only 2 cents each for the 3000 Marvel comics he had lugged from California. Possibly unhappy with the prospect of having to bring all those books back to California, he dumped all 3000 books into the hotel swimming pool. Marschall figures each of those Marvels would have been worth about $3 each in 1978. Could anyone who was there or hear about this have more details or was this an exaggeration?

This same anecdote is in the yearly market report section of a relatively early (mid to late 70s?) Overstreet. I remember reading it vividly as a kid. Not sure there's more info there, as that's pretty much exactly as I remember it.

I just posted a query on the Houston Fandom Facebook page. I'll let you know what folks have to say.

Minneapolis (thumbs u

Is there something going on in Minneapolis Nov. 9th-10th that I don't know about? Surely you aren't just visiting our beautiful city in the middle of winter for fun. (You do know our winters average colder than those in Anchorage, right?)

Just a get=together with friends. I've been there in February. It's freakin' cold. I love it (thumbs u

I have word from one eyewitness...it really happened. At the '69 HoustonCon at the Ramada Inn. Hopefully someone can come up with the dealer's name.