• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FANDOM
3 3

504 posts in this topic

This is the best thread! Here's some additional photos from OAFCon held in Norman OK on Oct 25th and 26, 2014.

I had a table there selling 60's and 70's fanzines and did quite well, and caught up with some old friends. I tried taking photos of every table there, but about half of the images were blurred and not worth seeing. I tried to take a few photos of Cat and his wife, but this stupid HTC-M8 phone camera is the worst, and most turned out to be horribly blurry (sorry Cat).

OAFCon2014_Paul-McSpadden.jpg

This is a selfie of me (left) and Paul McSpadden.

OAFCon2014_Bart-Bush.jpg

Here's Bart Bush looking spry! We both showed each other our surgery scars ...

OAFCon2014_Bill-Schelly_Steve-Fears.jpg

Guest of honor and fandom legend Bill Schelly (seated) chatting with another fandom legend, Steve Fears.

I don't know the guy's at the next table over, but he was displaying pages from "Robin Dies at Dawn" including the splash page ... awesome!

OAFCon2014_John-Wooley_Mark-Lamberti_John-McMahan.jpg

My table was right next to John Wooley's - from left to right: John Wooley, Mark Lamberti and John McMahan.

More photos from OAFCon 2014

OAFCon2014_Steve-and-Vicki-Ogden.jpg

Fanzine collector/historian Steve Ogden with his beautiful wife Vicki.

They recently moved from San Antonio to Oklahoma City.

OAFCon2014_Paul-McSpadden_Mrs.Saunders.jpg

Another blurry image of Paul McSpadden with Mrs Buddy Saunders.

Far left you can see the back of Michelle Nolan as she diligently works over each booth!

OAFCon2014_Buddy-Saunders.jpg

Speaking of Buddy Saunders, here he is flipping through my boxes of comic fanzines.

Buddy is publishing an ERB-universe coffee table book called "The Martian Legion" that you will not believe.

The site's not up yet, but check out www.themartianlegion.com in about 3 weeks (Early Dec 2014) - Buddy

had advance copies at OAFCon and it is the highest quality book I've seen in years! No BS!

OAFCon2014_Bill-Schelly_Roy-Bonario.jpg

Here's Bill Schelly again with the legendary Roy Bonario Sr!

OAFCon2014_David-Alexander_son.jpg

David T Alexander and Son from Culture & Thrills had a few tables.

Nice shots!!! ^^

Your steady eye caught some folks I missed. :applause:

BTW, here's the OAFcon thread if anyone wants another peek...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8124184#Post8124184

...And here are a couple of more from the con that weren't too blurry:

John Wooley (a little fuzzy, but otherwise decent shot)

712df125-6825-4eaf-84c4-809c0a42a5a5_zps3a0fa1bb.jpg

Michelle Nolan (background). Buddy Saunders (foreground)

174e290e-c6e6-4731-81bd-52ea62bbb2cb_zps4ece6aa8.jpg

I'll see if there are any other retrievable IPad shots from the con and upload them later. (thumbs u

Cheers,

Catcat.pngMan

Thanks for the shot of David Alexander...I have know his since the first Berkley comic convention and this is a great thead....more photos please...

I don't know David too well, but I'm good friends with his ex-partner from American Comic Book Company, Terry Stroud. Terry gets me into the SD Comic Con every year as an exhibitor!

This thread is lonesome in the back pages and needs to be bumped ... :bump:

:D So be it! :sumo:

Just to add something of nostalgic interest from my collection to the discussion...

Jack Mathis's labor of love Valley of the Cliffhangers... :cloud9:

cc41e03b-41a0-4d82-b77e-22647b9d4889_zpsb6060808.jpg

And a killer Drums of Fu Manchu lobby card signed by Henry Brandon... :cloud9:

02ec57c7-30c7-443a-8bb3-9ef3f2ab8606_zpsf39894d6.jpg

Maybe we can keep this thread from scrolling off page one for at least a few days.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>hangin.gif

If anyone has fan collectibles, toys, movie/serial memorabilia or just memories of fandom past you'd like to share please feel free to post here. (thumbs u

This thread is lonesome in the back pages and needs to be bumped ... :bump:

:D So be it! :sumo:

Just to add something of nostalgic interest from my collection to the discussion...

Jack Mathis's labor of love Valley of the Cliffhangers... :cloud9:

cc41e03b-41a0-4d82-b77e-22647b9d4889_zpsb6060808.jpg

And a killer Drums of Fu Manchu lobby card signed by Henry Brandon... :cloud9:

02ec57c7-30c7-443a-8bb3-9ef3f2ab8606_zpsf39894d6.jpg

Picked up a Valley of the Cliffhangers this year. A very cool book!

And here is a Drums of Fu Manchu chapter 1 sheet...

fumanchu1sheet.jpg

Thought you might enjoy some photos from the "ole daze. First up we have I believe David Belmont. He used to be a part of the American Comic Book Co. crew with David T Alexander and Terry Stroud. Back in the day, these guys were buying up collections like drunken sailors. Wonderful stuff coming in the doors everyday. This was from a party after a big Marvel buy. (Check out the stacks next to a hammered Belmont:

comphotodavebelmont_zps157455d3.jpg

Here is an identified partier with a big pile of ECs!

comicphotounknown_zpsedd91871.jpg

Edited by Robot Man

Next up we have the legendary Leonard Brown with a recent buy. I love this stuff still wrapped in bundles like they were ready for the trash. That wall of BLB's was mindblowing. (all top condition!)

comicphotoleonardbrown_zps1d705713.jpg

Here is his and Richard Olson's buisness card. you can tell how old it is because they were only buying comics up to 1962! Hi Rich!

comicphotobrownbuscard_zps99dbe3f2.jpg

And last but not least, if you were one of the "chosen few" you could get into the vault at Collector's Book store with Malcom Willits. Nice stash of Batmans don't you think? (in multiples!) A side note Vinnie wasn't the first comic dealer to wear a tie althought he probably wears one better than Malcom. (Never did trust comic dealers in suits)...

comicphotomalcomwillitts_zps60050b04.jpg

Edited by Robot Man

And lastly, I found some cool shots of a young Mitch! These were taken at an early San Diego Con. Looks like Mitch was smooth with the ladies. Great shots of a young proud collector with his prizes. Wow, Daring #1 and Cap #3 were even hard to find back in those days. Nice hair too although I believe mine was close to my belt in those days. Glad to see you are still collecting and loving comics Mitch. These young wippersnappers sure missed out didn't they?

comphotomitch1_zpse5c3248e.jpg

comphotomitch3_zps13d9af1f.jpg

comphotomitch2_zps9b940733.jpg

Edited by Robot Man

Thought you might enjoy some photos from the "ole daze. First up we have I believe David Belmont. He used to be a part of the American Comic Book Co. crew with David T Alexander and Terry Stroud. Back in the day, these guys were buying up collections like drunken sailors. Wonderful stuff coming in the doors everyday. This was from a party after a big Marvel buy. (Check out the stacks next to a hammered Belmont:

Wow. Those photos are fantastic! Do you have any old ones of Terry Stroud? I'm pretty good friends with him now, but I wasn't around during his American Comic Book Company heyday.

In any case, great photos!

Aaron

OAFCon2014_Bill-Schelly_Steve-Fears.jpg

Guest of honor and fandom legend Bill Schelly (seated) chatting with another fandom legend, Steve Fears.

I don't know the guy's at the next table over, but he was displaying pages from "Robin Dies at Dawn" including the splash page ... awesome!

The guy next to Bill Schelly is Ike Wilson, who represented the late Batman artist D ick Sprang during his final years. Ike helped arrange commissions with Mr. Sprang and also sold copies of Golden Age Batman & Detective Comics from D ick's personal files. (I've been lucky enough to acquire 5 of them.)

Check out some rare pieces Ike Wilson has on display at the Comic Art Fans site http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetail.asp?gcat=48725 and the excellent Facebook page he maintains in honor of Mr. Sprang. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1475023896087607/