• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FANDOM
3 3

504 posts in this topic

Thanks for posting those old HoustonCon photos! Beginning in '72 or so I went to all of the Houston comic shows. If you have any more photos I'd love to see them. I don't have any pics of young MrBedrock at a comic convention.

See, I remember most of these guys... Bart Bush, Earl Blair, Roy Bonario (love that first communion pic of them... wow what a time trip) Ken Donnell, G.B. Love... they probably remember me too, unless they have fewer brain cells than I do at this point. And if they're still alive. lol

655309534_o.jpg

In 1965 I traded a kid two recent Amazing Spiderman comics for MY FIRST GOLDEN AGE COMIC..and what a GREAT one it is!!

Bart, thanks so much for posting these. Quite special to be able to see these images!!!

[font:Times New Roman]Fantastic! :banana: Unearthed photos from those thrilling daze of yesteryear are greatly appreciated.

Also, a big thanks for filling in blanks where questions remained. :applause:

If you have any shots taken at the regular OAF events/meetings way back when, I'm sure folks here would love to see those as well.

Cheers,

The Cat-Man[/font] smiley-eatdrink007.gif

655309246_o.jpg

DON NEWTON ORIGINAL PAINTINGS

Don Newton was one of my favorite Batman artists of all time..... such a sad end. I'd love to have that Flash painting....awesome. I love this thread and really miss the convention scene circa 70's. It was affordable and all about the fun......and when you finally found that long sought after gem, the sense of good fortune was priceless. One of my versions of Heaven is a 70's convention with 500 bucks in the pocket.....complete with the bell bottoms, dashikis, and jeans jackets. The only tweeking I might have to do would be to add all of today's lovely ladies in their costumes..... but in a way, those predominently male geek fests were fine just like they were. Things were just so simple then. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

See, I remember most of these guys... Bart Bush, Earl Blair, Roy Bonario (love that first communion pic of them... wow what a time trip) Ken Donnell, G.B. Love... they probably remember me too, unless they have fewer brain cells than I do at this point. And if they're still alive. lol

G.B. passed away, but everyone else is still around.

It is kind of sad that we can't remember each other even though we went to cons at the same time in the same places. But hell, such are memories, right?

I've just written a book called 'Trek in Texas: the 1970s Star Trek Conventions'. It's available on Amazon, if anyone's interested.

There are some old pics around, I've discovered... one site is called Fanlore, I think. Lots of old program book covers and others.

Can I download it on my Kindle Fire?

If not I will order it the old fashion way.

Sounds like a good read.

I am a big Trekker from back in the day, especially the New England area. :cloud9:

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I don't think it's available on Kindle. I need to check into that.

By the way, I wasn't trying to be overly flippant about fans who had died. I just did what I thought was the usual 'smiley face' and it looked like I was laughing my off.

Anyway, I appreciate the interest in my book and I hope everyone who orders it enjoys it! I really hope someday soon, someone will write a book about Larry Herndon... he figures prominently in this one, but someone should do a proper bio of him. He was an amazing individual.

655309246_o.jpg

DON NEWTON ORIGINAL PAINTINGS

Don Newton was one of my favorite Batman artists of all time..... such a sad end. I'd love to have that Flash painting....awesome. I love this thread and really miss the convention scene circa 70's. It was affordable and all about the fun......and when you finally found that long sought after gem, the sense of good fortune was priceless. One of my versions of Heaven is a 70's convention with 500 bucks in the pocket.....complete with the bell bottoms, dashikis, and jeans jackets. The only tweeking I might have to do would be to add all of today's lovely ladies in their costumes..... but in a way, those predominently male geek fests were fine just like they were. Things were just so simple then. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I agree. Newton did a great job on those paintings. Below is a larger scan without the glare.

3674261166_5c878806dc_b.jpg

Does anybody remember the strip that ran in RBCC about a guy who went around killing all the superheroes? I think Don Newton drew it and at the end they either auctioned off the original art or gave it away in a raffle. It was very cool.

I'd guess it was sometime in the early/mid 70s.

Forgive me if it's already been mentioned here.

Does anybody remember the strip that ran in RBCC about a guy who went around killing all the superheroes? I think Don Newton drew it and at the end they either auctioned off the original art or gave it away in a raffle. It was very cool.

I'd guess it was sometime in the early/mid 70s.

Forgive me if it's already been mentioned here.

Sounds like the plot for Watchmen.

Edited by comixnoir