• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Super 8

58 posts in this topic

Did Rubik's Cube come out in 1979?

1974 :gossip:

It was invented in 1974, but didn't make it's way to North America until 1980.

The first test batches of the product were produced in late 1977 and released to Budapest toy shops. In September 1979, a deal was signed with Ideal to bring the Magic Cube to the Western world, and the puzzle made its international debut at the toy fairs of London, Paris, Nuremberg and New York in January and February 1980.

Saw it last night and absolutely loved it. Sure, it pulls some themes and plot elements from a few other Spielberg flicks and is a bit predictable, but so what? It is both incredibly entertaining and endearing. If you're like me and grew up in the 1970's it makes it all the more compelling...

Oh and as someone else mentioned, you've GOT to stay for the credits!

I saw it a few days ago. It was worth seeing but nothing too original at all. You can def tell Spielberg had his hands in it. My wife loved the main kid actor, he was good and really so was everyone else. The ending with the garbage monster I'm still scratching my head at... nothing I'll ever need to see again though, def aimed at a younger audience.

Saw it this week and I cant really say it was great. Was like said above . Stand by me meets ET but no where as good as each. Also saw Xmen 1st class-Green lantern-Thor and Hangover 2 this week. All 4 were good but Xmen First class is on a different level. what a great movie that was.

Saw the movie a few weeks ago. Absolutely loved it! Everything I loved about the Goonies, E.T., Close Encounter of the Third Kind and a few other 80's classics all rolled in to one. The camera angles were classic Spielberg...E.T./Indiana Jones/Close Encounters. The acting was great and the plot was good enough to keep me connected to the movie the entire time. I haven't watched a movie that I enjoyed this much in a while!

I thought it was really well made. Lots of Spielberg flourishes. But, overall? It was sad, rally similar to current Neal Adams work compared to his much earlier tighter classic stuff. Like Spielberg trying rap music not literally. But trying to be relevant, make a spielbergmoviefor today's kids tastes.

ET was all about heart. Super 8 was about noise and explosions, with a lovable alien tacked onto the last reel.

Really well Made. But misguided in approach.

Super 8 has tapped into something as the movie has shown great legs at the BO while GL and to a lesser extent XMFC have not.

You think so? I`m seeing a standard box office decay curve. It`ll break $100 million domestically, but not by much.

Granted, it`ll do better than GL, but that`s really not saying much. :P

Super 8 has tapped into something as the movie has shown great legs at the BO while GL and to a lesser extent XMFC have not.

You think so? I`m seeing a standard box office decay curve. It`ll break $100 million domestically, but not by much.

Granted, it`ll do better than GL, but that`s really not saying much. :P

no, it's just cracked $100mm and will do $8mm this weekend. it'll hit $130mm off a $35mm opening weekend, that's >3.7x multiple. compare that to thor (2.7x), xmfc (2.6x), pirates (2.4x), GL (2.3x). the only movie with wide release with a better multiple this summer is bridesmaids.