• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just saw The Punisher Movie -- NO SPOILERS

96 posts in this topic

Funny you should mention Shakespeare. I just watched the movie (my second viewing) with my girlfriend (English major in college) who said that she thought the movie was very Shakespearean. The more we talked about it the more I realized two things.

A) This is a good (albeit gratuitously violent) movie that happens to have a few cheesey scenes.

B) On a second viewing, the movie is even better because you're braced for the cheesiness, but the rest of the movie still kicks [!@#%^&^].

One thing that bothers me about reviewers: Where does it say that there has to be a hero in a story? I'm not trying to compare this to Shakespeare, but his best stories were driven by revenge. I wonder if reviewers during his time said, "Hamlet would be a better character if he didn't sink to the level of his step father." The name of the movie and character explains itself.

Do it. It's even better on a second viewing because you're used to the goofy stuff. It stands up great to a second viewing.

Ennis Punisher is right on the money thumbsup2.gif I will see this movie again

Like jimjim, I saw The Punisher as well as Kill Bill Vol. 1 AND 2 today. Needless to say, it was a day of mayhem, violence and revenge. To me, Kill Bill had a bit more of a sense of humor. Both films had unexpected final confrontations with the main villlains, and each one had a seemingly unstoppable killing machine as the protagonist. I liked Bill's Superman monologue, and although The Punisher didn't have the dialogue that Kill Bill did, I thought it was much better than the Dolph Lundgren version. Thomas Jane was good. I missed the "War Journal" narration, which I thought for sure would be there. Maybe in the sequel. The Spider-Man 2 trailer gave away too much of the movie, and I was mad afterward that I didn't shut my eyes. Still liked Hellboy better than both of these movies, though. They were just basic revenge movies with a Tarantino or a Marvel Comics twist.

I went to the movies at 3:00 this afternoon. Plenty of comics right at the ticket counter. But I had read such bad reviews of the movie, I decided it wasn't worth the comic, and saw The Alamo instead.

If I see that comic on eBay next month for $30, I'll foreheadslap.gif for not buying the comic for the price of a matinee ticket.

The movie was O.K. but I was expecting more of it. It had some good elements and Jane played Castle well but the whole roomate thing was unnecessary and distracting especially the comedic moments, although the crowd reacted favorably to it so what do I know. I thought it was humorous that people on this board were throwing a hissy fit over Jane as the Punisher before filming even began, and not only did he do a good job but he looked the part as well. I guess forming your opinion of a movie/actor based on a VERY preliminary picture is a bit premature, cough(JC) cough...

And speaking of the freebie, why is it that this free comic was as nice as some of the 2.95/99 books Marvel puts out...nice crisp colors that pop-out on the cover, and glossy pages. This comic really is well put together, considering I was expecting an extremely cheap paper-stock to be used to save on costs, but what I got was a nice comic.

Good info to know...I was expecting the same material as the X-men 1/Toys'r' us giveaway...it was raining here in VA that night and few drops got on the comic and it made the cover look like "hot dog skin after being in the microwave" foreheadslap.gif

I saw the Punisher today as well, got the free comics which was very cool. I have to say that I had low expectations for the movie and only went to see it since a friend of mine was already going. I was like most pleasntly surprised and found the movie quite enjoyable.

I would be shocked if it ended up bombing at the box office. 893whatthe.gif

Here is a scan of the free comic for those of you interested:

punisher.jpg

Hehehe, I have a confession. I hope you don't hold this against me... crazy.gif

Shawn & I went to go see the Punisher last night. They "handed out" the free comics (by that I mean the lady used her pencil to push our copies towards us as if she didn't want to touch them and she called 'em "magazines" tongue.gif )

I took that thing, rolled it up & stuck that sucker in my back pocket!!! 893whatthe.gif

And then I sat on it! 893applaud-thumb.gif

It felt so good. cloud9.gif It seems to me that all I have seen lately is ASM #129's and I felt the need to take it out on my free reprint. Poor thing, but now it's one of my favorite comics (it must be the guilt).

But, hey, Shawn & I liked the movie. The good things outweighed the cheese, IMHO.

BTW, Shawn brought a bag & board to the movie theater... and so did a group of fanboys we saw... grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I saw the Punisher today as well, got the free comics which was very cool. I have to say that I had low expectations for the movie and only went to see it since a friend of mine was already going. I was like most pleasntly surprised and found the movie quite enjoyable.

I would be shocked if it ended up bombing at the box office. 893whatthe.gif

Here is a scan of the free comic for those of you interested:

punisher.jpg

Hehehe, I have a confession. I hope you don't hold this against me... crazy.gif

Shawn & I went to go see the Punisher last night. They "handed out" the free comics (by that I mean the lady used her pencil to push our copies towards us as if she didn't want to touch them and she called 'em "magazines" tongue.gif )

I took that thing, rolled it up & stuck that sucker in my back pocket!!! 893whatthe.gif

And then I sat on it! 893applaud-thumb.gif

It felt so good. cloud9.gif It seems to me that all I have seen lately is ASM #129's and I felt the need to take it out on my free reprint. Poor thing, but now it's one of my favorite comics (it must be the guilt).

But, hey, Shawn & I liked the movie. The good things outweighed the cheese, IMHO.

BTW, Shawn brought a bag & board to the movie theater... and so did a group of fanboys we saw... grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Paul, you forgot the part where you and I stood out front after the movie and tried to sell our copies of ASM 129 as pre-screened 9.8's!! 27_laughing.gif

So at what point do these guys admit they have a problem? 893frustrated.gif

I'm still waiting for the copycat nutzos that pick up and UZi and blow away a McDonalds claiming that they were inspired by the Punisher movie...then in an interview from jail, they'll come out and say that it was all b/c they read comics as a kid... foreheadslap.gif

Spoilers:

Absolutely hated the movie. First they butchard the origin, maybe forgiveble because the change of medium (although I dont see why) Then the stupid saccharin sweet look Ill give you this tshirt dad...and Im the punisher so Ill wear this tshirt to honor my son. I almost walked out right there. Then the part that made it go off the deep end of rediculousness was when Kevin Nash showed up as a giant Where's Waldo (was he supposed to be someone?)

Somethings about his origin need to change like him being a Vietnam Vet. He would probably have to be played by a 50+ year old if they did that. And I agree about Kevin Nash's costume. It was a bad cliche. It's something that you would see in a B movie from the 80's involving communist Russian sailors, or a WWII movie. Did he have more than one Punisher shirt in the movie or just the one his son gave him? We all saw how Bruce Willis' wife beater looked at the end of Die Hard...

Spoilers:

Absolutely hated the movie. First they butchard the origin, maybe forgiveble because the change of medium (although I dont see why) Then the stupid saccharin sweet look Ill give you this tshirt dad...and Im the punisher so Ill wear this tshirt to honor my son. I almost walked out right there. Then the part that made it go off the deep end of rediculousness was when Kevin Nash showed up as a giant Where's Waldo (was he supposed to be someone?)

Somethings about his origin need to change like him being a Vietnam Vet. He would probably have to be played by a 50+ year old if they did that. And I agree about Kevin Nash's costume. It was a bad cliche. It's something that you would see in a B movie from the 80's involving communist Russian sailors, or a WWII movie. Did he have more than one Punisher shirt in the movie or just the one his son gave him? We all saw how Bruce Willis' wife beater looked at the end of Die Hard...

But did you like the movie??????? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I went to the movies at 3:00 this afternoon. Plenty of comics right at the ticket counter. But I had read such bad reviews of the movie, I decided it wasn't worth the comic, and saw The Alamo instead.

If I see that comic on eBay next month for $30, I'll foreheadslap.gif for not buying the comic for the price of a matinee ticket.

Dont worry about it they were only test copies and it was a random theater they sent them to yours and only 300 copies and to make matters worse yours was the nicest one they were going to grab for you! 27_laughing.gif 30.00 dollars try more like 1500.00 27_laughing.gif

Seriously I probably would have done the same Alamo sounds better!

Davidking623

And I agree about Kevin Nash's costume. It was a bad cliche. It's something that you would see in a B movie from the 80's involving communist Russian sailors, or a WWII movie.

Guys, Kevin Nash was playing a specific character from Garth Ennis's Marvel Knights Punisher mini-series. In that series the Russian was hired by mob boss Ma Gnucci to kill the Punisher and he looked EXACTLY as he does in the movie - same dopey short blonde hair, same red and white striped shirt.

Now in the comic he had a lot more to say - he can't stop talking in cliches about his worship of American super-heroes. The fight is lifted pretty much exactly as it appears on screen from that series (except for the talking and how he is defeated).

Ennis liked the character so much he brought the Russian back (from the dead) in the first few issues of the next series - his head and been reattached to his body and the hormones they had given him caused his body to grow enormous breasts! Spider-Man teams up with the Punisher to defeat the Russian. Frank uses Spidey (who is an unconscious) as a barrier between him and the crazy Russian.

Kev

Guys, Kevin Nash was playing a specific character from Garth Ennis's Marvel Knights Punisher mini-series. In that series the Russian was hired by mob boss Ma Gnucci to kill the Punisher and he looked EXACTLY as he does in the movie - same dopey short blonde hair, same red and white striped shirt.

Yes, but how does his inclusion in the comics make the Russian automatically a good movie concept? confused-smiley-013.gif

There are plenty of comic book characters, scenarios and fights that I'd cringe if they ever made it to the big screen.