• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tomorrow's treasures

68 posts in this topic

Never met Richie but I don't like his descriptions of comics and have only ever heard negatives about him from boardies.

Why buy from jerks when these boards have tons of quality members to purchase stuff from.

@hockeyboy13 (Jamie Graham ?) - there are more than just a few boardies I've heard complain about Richie so why not share their experiences. I don't see anyone coming to his defense.

I don't think in the 4 or 5 years that I've dealt with Richie has he ever been rude to me even when he didn't know me from Adam. He's probably like many of us fan people in that he is socially unaware at times but it's not personal. In fact, if you ask him about comics, he'll go on and on about them and has a fairly extensive knowledge about them. Just be prepared to stay a while.

As far as disclosure of work done to a book, he always has to me but I have heard mixed reactions by people.

Never met Richie but I don't like his descriptions of comics and have only ever heard negatives about him from boardies.

Why buy from jerks when these boards have tons of quality members to purchase stuff from.

@hockeyboy13 (Jamie Graham ?) - there are more than just a few boardies I've heard complain about Richie so why not share their experiences. I don't see anyone coming to his defense.

I think Richie can defend himself, and there was someone in this thread that related positive experiences with Richie.

Much of the vitriol I hear sent in Richie's direction is that he tinkers with his own books, and characterizes it in the way he wants to. Many have a problem with that. But, in his defense, if he says a tear seal is conservation, but notes it as a tear seal, then where is the harm? If you call it restoration, as most of us, including me, do, big deal. I just want to know if it is there. He discloses that and any work performed on the book, including those he does refer to as restoration.

I've done a fair amount of business with Richie over the past two decades, and have always been pleased. Both when buying from him, and selling to him. I've done most of it in person and we always have great conversations. I've done some of it through the mail as well, and also with no problems.

I can't comment on the problems others have had, only my personal experience which has always been fine.

In fact, he and I did some business this weekend at WW Philly and it went very well as usual. Had a good time catching up with him. Only complaint I have is he can be a bit long winded, but it is usually entertaining.

I've never met the guy and I do appreciate that he does fully disclose. Not a fan of how he calls it conservation but potato potatoe.

If I ever did meet him and actually found him rude that would be it for me. If he is in Seattle next spring I'll probably approach him just to see what he's all about even if I don't intend to buy and perhaps I'll think he's an okay guy. (doubtful, but you never know right)

In a situation where someone had an identical book in the same grade as him but it was priced for more I'd buy it from the nice guy even if it cost me more money just because of all the negatives I've heard. It pays to be nice to customers. I don't think sellers should cater to ahole buyers though as someone said earlier.

Richie is definitely one of the characters in the comic business.

I have never bought anything from Richie but I don't know of any big time dealer that I have bought anything from at any show in the last 10 years.

When I setup at shows I'm at the show to sell and Richie buys and sometimes buys a lot. I'm not just talking buying the stuff that every dealer or collector in the room wants but he buys the oddball stuff (Terry's comics is also like this).

I always enjoy running into Richie at any show I'm at. Yea he can be long winded but he mostly has interesting things to discuss.

If I were to base my buying from him by what I've read on these forms over the years I would probably be hesitant. But knowing him as I do I would have no problem buying from him. Just have some verbal communication up front before you buy and discuss any problems/concerns. He may tell you to kiss off or bend over backwards to help.

In a situation where someone had an identical book in the same grade as him but it was priced for more I'd buy it from the nice guy even if it cost me more money just because of all the negatives I've heard. It pays to be nice to customers. I don't think sellers should cater to ahole buyers though as someone said earlier.

Ritchie is one of those old time dealers.

Stacks of books all over the place, printed price list for everything in stock and he sits back and reads at cons. I suppose doing it for 20 or 30 years will jade anyone.

The new wave of comic book dealer with a suit and tie and a polished image (Metropolis) or customer service that is worth noting (Bob Storms) is a more recent development and it's easy to judge those who have never made the shift.

Every time I see a picture of a dealer from the 1970's it reminds me of Richard Muchin. Not everyone makes the jump to the service experience that is now expected.

I like Richie. Yes, he can be a cantankerous old so and so, but I've bought some great books from him over the years. He is definitely a dealer you have to get to know, but he's never been unfriendly to me. And yes, it can take an hour sometimes to buy a book from him whilst he bends your ear off during negotiation, but it's not really an issue.

I think Richie can defend himself, and there was someone in this thread that related positive experiences with Richie.

Much of the vitriol I hear sent in Richie's direction is that he tinkers with his own books, and characterizes it in the way he wants to. Many have a problem with that. But, in his defense, if he says a tear seal is conservation, but notes it as a tear seal, then where is the harm? If you call it restoration, as most of us, including me, do, big deal. I just want to know if it is there. He discloses that and any work performed on the book, including those he does refer to as restoration.

I've done a fair amount of business with Richie over the past two decades, and have always been pleased. Both when buying from him, and selling to him. I've done most of it in person and we always have great conversations. I've done some of it through the mail as well, and also with no problems.

I can't comment on the problems others have had, only my personal experience which has always been fine.

In fact, he and I did some business this weekend at WW Philly and it went very well as usual. Had a good time catching up with him. Only complaint I have is he can be a bit long winded, but it is usually entertaining.

+1

He can get off on a tangent lol

to continue bob's train of thought, how is it that boardies are never are reprimanded for the attitude they give us dealers? maybe we dealers should start threads about that problem. maybe we should start using a term for those boardies who have a bad attitude? boardie snob?

i am not defending richie but everyone needs to make his own conclusions and not fall prey to the conclusions of a few boardies. and possibly vindictive boardies at that.

Doesn't work that way. You are in customer service. You tolerate whatever you have to in order to get the business.

absolutely works that way. it is called my business my rules. i don't like you i don't HAVE to sell you anything. get attitude and i will give it back?

free country! isn't it great!!!!

I don't mean that you have to deal with EVERYTHING a customer dishes out to you. But in my 30 Years in Customer Service I noticed if you don't bend some for the customer, you won't be in business very long.

If you are not in the business to service the customer, Why do it? You have to have very good people Skills to be on the front lines dealing with people on a daily basis.

You will have the occasional A-hole, but for the most part, I have noticed if you treat people with sincerity and respect, you will get it in return.

next year is my 30th year of retailing. i opened my first store in 1982. i have the most stores than anyone in the us (all owned by myself). and this will be my 3oth year doing shows on a consistent basis having actually sold at my second show in 1971.

so having 9 stores plus an active website, over thirty nine employees AND thirty years in business...i believe i know customer service.

There's no doubt that Richie is an old time dealer, has had some real personality scrapes with others in the past, and has sold books with unique descriptions regarding restoration. With that said, let me note a couple of things:

1) Like most comic dealers, they all have their unique quirks. I could go down the list of all the big time guys and list them.

2) We the buyers -- dealer/collectors or just plain collectors, love to kavetch about the dealers, their poor business models, all the things they do wrong blah, blah, blah. I think it's easier said than done and they take some odd forms of abuse at the shows. there's no question that I think many of them aren't the most ambitious or hard working folks, but the amount of criticism that many dealers take is really putting them under the microscope.

3) With #2 said, there's no reason for poor customer service and often times Richie is guilty of it. He can be a strange dude. But... as many dealers have told me, if you know Richie, you can deal with him.

4) I'm also more sympathetic towards Richie since his son passed away.

5) You can definitely get wins at Richie's table. He doesn't press to my knowledge and he doesn't CGC grade and he gets a lot of books. He's an old timer with connections.

6) Based on what I've learned, I would rate Richie as having far more disclosure than many "favorites" of many folks I hear lauded on these boards all the time.

7) I wish he was more "warm and fuzzy" but we are who we are.

i can only say in richies defense that he is his own man. and many things said here are probably accurate. all i know is that i never heard him refuse a return if warranted. i like richie and hope everybody at least once can talk to him and form his /or her opinion. all of us have different ways of doing things and richie is no difference. however, i do feel he is behind the times in terms of grading books a bit.

talk to richie sometime and get an "experience'!!

I don't think i've ever met a bigger in my life, inside or outside of comcs, then the owner of tommorow's treasure's. If he represents the 'old school' dealers in the induatry, then i hope the old school retires or dies off quickly.

My mom always said if you don't have anything nice to say, then keep it to yourself. This is the one instance where ill break that rule.

There's no doubt that Richie is an old time dealer, has had some real personality scrapes with others in the past, and has sold books with unique descriptions regarding restoration. With that said, let me note a couple of things:

1) Like most comic dealers, they all have their unique quirks. I could go down the list of all the big time guys and list them.

2) We the buyers -- dealer/collectors or just plain collectors, love to kavetch about the dealers, their poor business models, all the things they do wrong blah, blah, blah. I think it's easier said than done and they take some odd forms of abuse at the shows. there's no question that I think many of them aren't the most ambitious or hard working folks, but the amount of criticism that many dealers take is really putting them under the microscope.

3) With #2 said, there's no reason for poor customer service and often times Richie is guilty of it. He can be a strange dude. But... as many dealers have told me, if you know Richie, you can deal with him.

5) You can definitely get wins at Richie's table. He doesn't press to my knowledge and he doesn't CGC grade and he gets a lot of books. He's an old timer with connections.

6) Based on what I've learned, I would rate Richie as having far more disclosure than many "favorites" of many folks I hear lauded on these boards all the time.

I had no idea about 4).

And yes, you have to get used to him and his idiosyncracies, both in his manner and grading. That may indeed put people off, as his unwillingness to work the table can be interpreted as unfriendliness, but he's not as bad as depicted. I wouldn't've bought plenty over the years from him if he was.

I don't think i've ever met a bigger in my life, inside or outside of comcs, then the owner of tommorow's treasure's. If he represents the 'old school' dealers in the induatry, then i hope the old school retires or dies off quickly.

My mom always said if you don't have anything nice to say, then keep it to yourself. This is the one instance where ill break that rule.

What was it that he did that was so rude. (shrug)

I've known him since the mid seventies when he' d set up at a flea market I worked at. He used to be extremely energetic, but over the past decade has ceased to be. His performance at shows can be downright baffling at times. He certainly acts like he has better things to do than sell his books.

One thing I will say for him is he is honest. His grading may not agree with CGC or even Overstreet, but he'll tell you anything that was done to any book he owns.

I've known him since the mid seventies when he' d set up at a flea market I worked at. He used to be extremely energetic, but over the past decade has ceased to be. His performance at shows can be downright baffling at times. He certainly acts like he has better things to do than sell his books.

One thing I will say for him is he is honest. His grading may not agree with CGC or even Overstreet, but he'll tell you anything that was done to any book he owns.

Getting older will make you less energetic. I'm nowhere near the lightning bolt I was even 5 years ago. He also broke his foot last year, but he still set up at shows, cast and all.

Even when I offered to help him cart his stuff around he refused.

When was this? I first met Richie in 1974 when I purchased comics from him. He was selling out of an old beat up white van at the flea market in Ozone Park NY.

When was this? I first met Richie in 1974 when I purchased comics from him. He was selling out of an old beat up white van at the flea market in Ozone Park NY.

Heard about it last year, maybe a year and a half ago.