• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tomorrow's treasures

68 posts in this topic

I've dealt with him in person a few times, but never through eBay or his website. Everything I've bought from him, I've had a chance to inspect in hand and have been satisfied. While he's not the type to chit-chat, I don't see him as unfriendly. Always very courteous. I'd feel comfortable making an online purchase if there was a book I really wanted.

You must have been the lucky 1:100.

He had a VF range X-Men #1 at Mid Ohio last year. He couldn't even get out of his chair or look up from his newspaper to talk to me about it. Figured he had a lot of tire kickers and didn't realize I could afford the book, so I moved on.

Saw him again at C2E2 and I was looking at a few books that he keeps under that plastic tarp. I asked about a price on a book and he pointed to a price sheet that had a couple hundred books on it. Never said a word. I picked up the sheet, put it down, and moved on. I figured why should I be the buyer and the seller (shrug)

Never had cause to deal with him online, but he's by far the most unfriendly dealer I've ever encountered at a show.

I have seen the seller at shows forever. The one vibe he consistenly gives off is that he is just not interested. Sits in the middle of his booth, with head down and nose buried and reads his paper. For the entire show, show after show, year after year.

I've found that you even have to look at his dollar books very carefully as a large % of them have tape on them.

Why tape up a dollar book?

With that said, after doing my investigation, I usually buy a few books from him at each show. Lately I've noticed he's put a pen mark on the top of his cheap books (I guess to identify them for shoplifting purposes?), which is kind of annoying, because he sometimes has some decent stuff in there (for a buck at least) and then the marker mark on the top kindah is a negative.

its a darn shame. ive been through his ebay store with a fine tooth comb. every awesome book has been restored in one way or another. Guy should have left his books alone.

I did get one ga comic off him a few months back. he sold it as VF/NM - came back 7.5. you do the math. still love the book though..

I've dealt with him in person a few times, but never through eBay or his website. Everything I've bought from him, I've had a chance to inspect in hand and have been satisfied. While he's not the type to chit-chat, I don't see him as unfriendly. Always very courteous. I'd feel comfortable making an online purchase if there was a book I really wanted.

You must have been the lucky 1:100.

He had a VF range X-Men #1 at Mid Ohio last year. He couldn't even get out of his chair or look up from his newspaper to talk to me about it. Figured he had a lot of tire kickers and didn't realize I could afford the book, so I moved on.

Saw him again at C2E2 and I was looking at a few books that he keeps under that plastic tarp. I asked about a price on a book and he pointed to a price sheet that had a couple hundred books on it. Never said a word. I picked up the sheet, put it down, and moved on. I figured why should I be the buyer and the seller (shrug)

Never had cause to deal with him online, but he's by far the most unfriendly dealer I've ever encountered at a show.

You're right, maybe I got him on a good day. (:

By consensus it looks like he's rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. I thought everyone was just ganging up on the guy but it seems that his persona at comic con has seriously alienated a lot of potential buyers.

I know that when I'm browsing a table at a show and the dealer shows me attitude or disrespects me in any way, there's no way in hell I will ever do business with that person, ever. There are even some dealers who are boardie favourites here, but they've flipped me attitude in the past and that's it, no soup for you. So I understand where people are coming from.

Having said that, and despite what I've read here, Richie doesn't bother me in the least. He's never been rude to me. I may fall in that 1% category. Maybe one day he will be rude, and that will be it. I've seen him sit there with a Supes #1 or Bats #1 on display. He gives off the vibe like he's a big player and he attends shows for the big sale (or purchase). Who knows? He's a unique personality and a fixture at a lot of shows. Not my favourite dealer; but not my least. I've just gone through his comics in the past, examined the ones I was interested in carefully, and made a purchase if the book and price was acceptable to me. He always says "thank you" and that's that.

I have not, however, bought from the man online. I therefore have not had to rely on his description and grade of a book before purchasing it. After reading the experiences of others here, I'd have a bit more hesitation to do so.

I've found that you even have to look at his dollar books very carefully as a large % of them have tape on them.

With that said, after doing my investigation, I usually buy a few books from him at each show. Lately I've noticed he's put a pen mark on the top of his cheap books (I guess to identify them for shoplifting purposes?), which is kind of annoying, because he sometimes has some decent stuff in there (for a buck at least) and then the marker mark on the top kindah is a negative.

This is done to make sure you can't buy a 9.8 candidate for $1. Just a guess.

You know that every boardie favorite dealer that reads your post might assume that he's the one that showed you some "attitude" and that you won't do business with him every again.

How exactly are the other boardie favorites to know it's not them when you have no information in your profile?

I meet boardies at every show, I've done Toronto before. It's not easy to remember every boardie I've met at a show.

This is done to make sure you can't buy a 9.8 candidate for $1. Just a guess.

I don't think anything out in his dollar pile is every better than a VF to VF/NM pre-marker mark or tape, but he's had some stuff i like over the years. none of them are in bags...just piled up out there.

to continue bob's train of thought, how is it that boardies are never are reprimanded for the attitude they give us dealers? maybe we dealers should start threads about that problem. maybe we should start using a term for those boardies who have a bad attitude? boardie snob?

i am not defending richie but everyone needs to make his own conclusions and not fall prey to the conclusions of a few boardies. and possibly vindictive boardies at that.

to continue bob's train of thought, how is it that boardies are never are reprimanded for the attitude they give us dealers? maybe we dealers should start threads about that problem. maybe we should start using a term for those boardies who have a bad attitude? boardie snob?

i am not defending richie but everyone needs to make his own conclusions and not fall prey to the conclusions of a few boardies. and possibly vindictive boardies at that.

Doesn't work that way. You are in customer service. You tolerate whatever you have to in order to get the business.

Doesn't work that way. You are in customer service. You tolerate whatever you have to in order to get the business.

Not so.

As the owner of my business, I reserve the right to not deal with a particular buyer.

I've yet to do so, but I'm afraid that my love for the $$$ does not run to taking abuse from some wit with the social skills of a tire iron.

Not so.

As the owner of my business, I reserve the right to not deal with a particular buyer.

I've yet to do so, but I'm afraid that my love for the $$$ does not run to taking abuse from some wit with the social skills of a tire iron.

Ditto.

I've seen unreasonable customers carried out of a dealership by their belt and the scruff of their neck. Wasn't necessarily OK but the guy was literally begging for it. It sure was funny, though.

There's no law book in the world that says I have to eat someone's *spoon* to keep them happy just so I can take their money.

(thumbs u

I first met Rich when I started setting up at the Greenberg shows on a regular basis in the early/mid eighties. At that time, the guy was full of energy, constantly combing tables, interacting with both customers and dealers and generally very approachable. I can still remember a Captain America #1 I sold him at a Philly show and the enthusiasm and passion he had for the hobby as a whole.

I noticed a change in his "selling technique" around the late 90's. Very laid back and almost indifferent.

absolutely works that way. it is called my business my rules. i don't like you i don't HAVE to sell you anything. get attitude and i will give it back?

free country! isn't it great!!!!

You know that every boardie favorite dealer that reads your post might assume that he's the one that showed you some "attitude" and that you won't do business with him every again.

How exactly are the other boardie favorites to know it's not them when you have no information in your profile?

I meet boardies at every show, I've done Toronto before. It's not easy to remember every boardie I've met at a show.

You know, I really don't know Richie and he doesn't know me. I've had limited interaction with him. There were comments made in this thread that suggested business not be done with him. That's fine. Sharing experiences and opinions on these boards makes it a rich source of information. I was offering my own droplet of experience that bucked the general trend. I've never had a problem with him, but others do. That's okay. I won't do business with certain dealers, but others will. I hope that's cool too. It's just personal preferences based on previous encounters. That's the small point I really wanted to make. If my comments came across as arrogant, disrespectful, or as an attack on dealers on my unnamed sh!tlist, that was not my intention at all. That was beside the point.

Next time I'm at a show, Bob, I will make sure that I introduce myself. (thumbs u

And can I add that there are a number of people I would refuse to sell to, just as a matter of principle. (thumbs u
:(

absolutely works that way. it is called my business my rules. i don't like you i don't HAVE to sell you anything. get attitude and i will give it back?

free country! isn't it great!!!!

I don't mean that you have to deal with EVERYTHING a customer dishes out to you. But in my 30 Years in Customer Service I noticed if you don't bend some for the customer, you won't be in business very long.

If you are not in the business to service the customer, Why do it? You have to have very good people Skills to be on the front lines dealing with people on a daily basis.

You will have the occasional A-hole, but for the most part, I have noticed if you treat people with sincerity and respect, you will get it in return.

"i am not defending richie but everyone needs to make his own conclusions and not fall prey to the conclusions of a few boardies. and possibly vindictive boardies at that."

except that coming to one's own conclusions will likely involve a cash outlay and potentially being burned if said comics wind up having undisclosed restoration or are vastly overgraded? (although on ebay he does disclose, sort of) personally, i appreciate the advice as while I usually buy $1-$5 books from him person, I have been tempted by some of his $10-$25 offerings and if I ever do contemplate buying one of those I am going to scrutinize them very closely for tear seals and what not that I might not spend as much time on with someone else.

"to continue bob's train of thought, how is it that boardies are never are reprimanded for the attitude they give us dealers? maybe we dealers should start threads about that problem. maybe we should start using a term for those boardies who have a bad attitude? boardie snob?"

if you can name names of someone who gave you grief at a show or elsewhere, go ahead. dealers have done it here...telling stories of obnoxious people who come up to their tables and demand a 75% discount off some key book and scream at them about their pricing and what not.