• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tomorrow's treasures

68 posts in this topic

I don't think i've ever met a bigger in my life, inside or outside of comcs, then the owner of tommorow's treasure's. If he represents the 'old school' dealers in the induatry, then i hope the old school retires or dies off quickly.

My mom always said if you don't have anything nice to say, then keep it to yourself. This is the one instance where ill break that rule.

What was it that he did that was so rude. (shrug)

It was a number of years ago and i was just getting back into the hobby. I went to one of the carbannaro shows and stopped at numerous booths asking the types of questions you might expect someone who had been out of the hobby would ask. I remember clearly there were some incredibly nice dealers that were excited about a new re-entree into golden age comics. Guys like harlee yee and ted from superworld. Just incredibly nice. Metropolis was a bit intimidating because i was looking at like two action 1s, four supe 1s etc. But still very friendly.

Then there is this tomorrow treasures guy who could barely condescend to pick his head up from some book he was reading and then when i asked to look at a book on the wall pretty much told me it wasnt for sale, nor were any of them. He was just a mean nasty guy. Bottom line hes in a service industry so you would expect him to at least be cordial.

Now i go to shows and ask him questions juat to annoy him.

I suppose there are certain snooty dealers in all different genres of collecting, but this is comics for christ sake. We are not collecting priceless works of art.

>>I suppose there are certain snooty dealers in all different genres of collecting, but this is comics for christ sake. We are not collecting priceless works of art<<

...um....we're NOT? Oh, noooo....

I have no problem buying from Richie at shows. I've got some screaming good deals from him and if the mood is right, he can be very entertaining. I have never mail ordered anything from him.

The last book I bought from him was a four figure book. He had it graded at VF+ unrestored. I graded it as a VF+ unrestored and CGC gave it an 8.5 Blue label.

2c

If resto were such an easy thing to detect, there would be no need for something like CGC. ALL convention circuit dealers who sell raw will have touched books in their inventory that they are unaware of. Richie has made a lot of effort to be as transparent as possible. He had some real sharp books at the last Richmond show but I was too low on money to pick up much from him....but his Venus 17 was sweet and didn't look to have any work done (for example). He actually goes further in the way of disclosure than anyone else I know of. I always like talking with him, but comics isn't always the best subject. He's been doing this for almost 40 years and talking comics(for him...) would be like telling the same knock-knock joke for 40 years....the enthusiasm may fluctuate. Just be careful, once you get him started, he can talk for hours. There've been shows I talked to him almost the whole day. If you're considering him....it's only considerate to form your OWN opinion.....rumor and gossip doesn't always reveal the full truth. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Much of the vitriol I hear sent in Richie's direction is that he tinkers with his own books, and characterizes it in the way he wants to. Many have a problem with that. But, in his defense, if he says a tear seal is conservation, but notes it as a tear seal, then where is the harm? If you call it restoration, as most of us, including me, do, big deal. I just want to know if it is there. He discloses that and any work performed on the book, including those he does refer to as restoration.

No harm in the disclosure, and I applaud him for that but my issue is that the book is not worth the price being charged.

If it has had a tear sealed for conservation, is the book truly a VF+ and worth the price of a VF+?

No and that is why I have moved on.

Now i go to shows and ask him questions just to annoy him.

I love that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jamie, how much is the Hulk #181?

lol

I've known him since the mid seventies when he' d set up at a flea market I worked at. He used to be extremely energetic, but over the past decade has ceased to be. His performance at shows can be downright baffling at times. He certainly acts like he has better things to do than sell his books.

One thing I will say for him is he is honest. His grading may not agree with CGC or even Overstreet, but he'll tell you anything that was done to any book he owns.

Getting older will make you less energetic. I'm nowhere near the lightning bolt I was even 5 years ago. He also broke his foot last year, but he still set up at shows, cast and all.

Even when I offered to help him cart his stuff around he refused.

He cut his foot when a ladder he was on broke...............heard all about it at Heroes this year lol:insane: