• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tomorrow's treasures

68 posts in this topic

tell him you expect all books you want to purchase should be graded according to CGC standards and that you don't want any books that have been restored or conserved. do this by phone for better results

it's kind of sad how this one man's personality is killing his own business. but to each their own.

Not just his personality. His grading is not generally considered up to par with todays standards and he has been known to sell books with restoration/conservation without disclosure.

I have never purchased anything from this vendor, I have had discussion over books via internet sources. I find he has a great selection of books, but they are priced to high. Additionally since I have heard of the self conservation he uses, I asked if the book I was interested in would be returnable .... I was told NO.

Hence I did not make the purchase.

He has several issues of the Venus run that I am very interested in, they look to be in great condition as well. The part that gets scary is the price being asked versus the grade apparant. Here is an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VENUS-11-1950-END-/110680038214?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c50b5b46

Note it says in his listing on Ebay:

CONSERVATION: Archival tear seal

REPAIR: None

RESTORATION: None

GRADE: qualified: VF+

So he is asking VF+ price for a book that has been restored, and were you to submit to CGC would likely get a 6.0 grade at best and of course pink label.

I've dealt with him in person a few times, but never through eBay or his website. Everything I've bought from him, I've had a chance to inspect in hand and have been satisfied. While he's not the type to chit-chat, I don't see him as unfriendly. Always very courteous. I'd feel comfortable making an online purchase if there was a book I really wanted.

He has several issues of the Venus run that I am very interested in, they look to be in great condition as well. The part that gets scary is the price being asked versus the grade apparant. Here is an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VENUS-11-1950-END-/110680038214?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c50b5b46

Note it says in his listing on Ebay:

CONSERVATION: Archival tear seal

REPAIR: None

RESTORATION: None

GRADE: qualified: VF+

So he is asking VF+ price for a book that has been restored, and were you to submit to CGC would likely get a 6.0 grade at best and of course pink label.

Pink Label hm

Not going to say it...must resist sarcasm :eek: