• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Ethical" Dilemma -- Nothing to do with Little Old Ladies and Action Comics # 1.

38 posts in this topic

I have an "ethical" dilemma regarding comic books, but it has nothing to do with buying comics from someone who does not know their value.

I display framed color photo-copies of notable comics I own in my guest room. I just sold one of these comics, but I still, of course, have the framed photo copy. So the question becomes...is it ethical to continue to hang the photo copy? Or is it, in a sense, false advertising to all my guests that I own a comic that I no longer own?

And if it is not unethical (or more likely tacky) to display a photocopy of a comic I no longer own, is there any problem then with displaying photo copies of comics that I never owned? (Of Mega Keys for example).

I'm a bit torn on this myself and welcome any viewpoints.

I do the same thing in my basement and have left covers of books that I no longer own up. When people ask about them I say there are copies of books that I own or at one time owned. Nothing wrong with displaying good art.

I wouldn't consider it a big deal but I personally wouldn't want to display pictures of comics that I used to own as if I still owned them.

Not unethical, just a bit........ tacky?

are you serious?

About ethics: No.

About the rest: Yes.

Just go over to Gold and watch some of the guys continually post scans of books they no longer own. If it's okay over there it's fine for your guest room (thumbs u

My wife and I have this discussion. I have up scans of pictures past girlfriends hanging on the wall but she says once they dump me it is unethical for me to keep up their pictures.

This isn't like fake watches...you aren't trying to pass something off as real. You are displaying it as art.

If you put up a copy of Van Gogh are you implying that you own an orignal van gogh...of course not.

I see nothing wrong at all about it.

I have an "ethical" dilemma regarding comic books, but it has nothing to do with buying comics from someone who does not know their value.

I display framed color photo-copies of notable comics I own in my guest room. I just sold one of these comics, but I still, of course, have the framed photo copy. So the question becomes...is it ethical to continue to hang the photo copy? Or is it, in a sense, false advertising to all my guests that I own a comic that I no longer own?

And if it is not unethical (or more likely tacky) to display a photocopy of a comic I no longer own, is there any problem then with displaying photo copies of comics that I never owned? (Of Mega Keys for example).

I used to have the same dilemma at one time. Not about comics but about how seriously you need to take things.

doh!

Lots of people hang photocopies as opposed to the real thing for various reasons...exposure to light, theft (see Nic Cage) or just love of the artwork.

Man, as long as you're not telling people they're Mona Lisa originals, don't sweat it.

You life must be *spooning* amazing if this what you're worried about! :baiting:

You life must be *spooning* amazing if this what you're worried about! :baiting:

I always find it rather vexing to see oneself in the presence of a guest room that denotes ownership of items that the host does not in fact own. It brings to mind the time I stayed at the Motel 6 out by Old Highway 66 and in one of the drawers there was a bible only to discover that God was nowhere to be found.

I used to have the same dilemma at one time. Not about comics but about how seriously you need to take things.

:roflmao: