• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Auction (Underground Art - Zap 4 cover - Mr. Peanut/Mr. #####)

11 posts in this topic

I don't know either but can't imagine it making anywhere neeeear the miller price. The whole notoriety of that issue is for the crumb story and if you are buying UG art it has to be a crumb piece to bring the huge bucks. I see this a 50-150k type piece, and probably 50-100. But I am talking out of my azz for sure

I was never an underground guy, and have never seen this cover before, but it is AWESOME. I love it, and after reading the description posted with the image, I will seek out a reprint of the comic. I have zero ideas about what the hammer price might be.

Scott

There was an incest story in the issue by crumb that is still has some shock value today - I am not at all surprised the authorities had a problem with it back in the day

thought I would do a little searching of the HA archives to see some past price points that may shed some light

Mr Natural #1 Cover, Crumb, 2007, $101K

Zap #1 2 pg story, Crumb, 2011, $47K

Zap #3 2 pg story, Crumb, 2011, $95K

Hup #3 Cover, Crumb, 2008, $68K

Other "good" covers by Crumb, various dates, $30-$55k

Crumb splashes, various dates, say $15 - $35k

Rick Griffin, Zap #2 1 pg story, 2008, $31k

Rick Griffin, Zap #2 different 1 pg story, 2010, $19k

Moscoso - little or no prior sale history at HA.

Pretty good guess IMO

I don't know either but can't imagine it making anywhere neeeear the miller price. The whole notoriety of that issue is for the crumb story and if you are buying UG art it has to be a crumb piece to bring the huge bucks. I see this a 50-150k type piece, and probably 50-100. But I am talking out of my azz for sure

I'm surprised that Griffin's work isn't worth more. Isn't he reasonably well known for art that was associated with some psychedelic music and record coevrs?

I'm surprised that Griffin's work isn't worth more. Isn't he reasonably well known for art that was associated with some psychedelic music and record coevrs?

Griffin is well known for murph the surf in additional to those items.

Part of it is the iconic nature of a piece along with supply and demand. There is a large amount of Griffin art floating around with pieces coming up for sale all the time. Not quite as much as the amount of Crumb art floating out there but significantly more than Moscoso.

Edwin