• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tape, Glue and the art of the PLOD.

22 posts in this topic

Okay, so maybe that was a little dramatic for a subject heading...

Anyway, here is a question that may have been asked often about the 'dreaded' purple label.

In the past year that I've been on here, I've learned a lot about the 'Restored' designation and the best sense I can make out of it is that if a book was 'manipulated to deceive', then it would get the restored label.

Now, I've come across books with Universal labels that have had tape repairs, obviously done to retain the integrity of the binding or the book in general.

Recently I've come across a book that has tape as well as glue applied to secure the cover which was given a Restored label.

I guess I'm a little unclear as to why tape is allowed under the Universal designation but tape and glue gets put into the Restored category.

If it was just glue alone, I could understand that because you could interpret that procedure as an 'attempt to deceive'. But when there's an obvious amount of tape that is essentially doing the same job as the glue... what's the difference?

:shrug:

I've learned a lot about the 'Restored' designation and the best sense I can make out of it is that if a book was 'manipulated to deceive', then it would get the restored label.

I think you need to separate Amateur resto like a dot of black marker on the spine, or perhaps a glued staple area from professional resto which typically involves more work, and is not done to deceive, but rather restore/conserve the comic.

Both kinds of work(AM, or P) can easily be detected, but the former is usually the kind that gets unnoticed until it is submitted to CGC and the owner is left holding a purple label. Feeling like they were deceived.

Now why, and how CGC arrived that cellophane taped books would get a blue label, almost encouraging people to apply destructive tape vs archival safe materials is another subject altogether

I've learned a lot about the 'Restored' designation and the best sense I can make out of it is that if a book was 'manipulated to deceive', then it would get the restored label.

I think you need to separate Amateur resto like a dot of black marker on the spine, or perhaps a glued staple area from professional resto which typically involves more work, and is not done to deceive, but rather restore/conserve the comic.

Both kinds of work(AM, or P) can easily be detected, but the former is usually the kind that gets unnoticed until it is submitted to CGC and the owner is left holding a purple label. Feeling like they were deceived.

Now why, and how CGC arrived that cellophane taped books would get a blue label, almost encouraging people to apply destructive tape vs archival safe materials is another subject altogether

That's a really good point and I should have been more clear in making that distinction...

It's not intent as that cannot be determined. It's cellophane vs. archival tape.

Cellophane is just another defect and is treated as such.

Archival tape application is restoration.

Glue is a trickier proposition. Glue could be just a stain if not structurally aiding the book. However, some Golden Age books get a pass on glue and a tiny colour touch. (shrug)

It's not intent as that cannot be determined. It's cellophane vs. archival tape.

Cellophane is just another defect and is treated as such.

Archival tape application is restoration.

Glue is a trickier proposition. Glue could be just a stain if not structurally aiding the book. However, some Golden Age books get a pass on glue and a tiny colour touch. (shrug)

Ok... now I give CGC lots of credit for what they can detect and such. Actually, it's a bit impressive but can they really determine the make-up of clear tape?

I have archival 'Scotch' tape and regular 'Scotch' tape and they look the same to me when put onto paper.

Perhaps I misunderstand but maybe you mean 'old' tape vs. 'new' tape which may or may not be of archival quality... sorry if I'm not understanding this.

Ok, here are some examples:

(Please bear with me... :eek: )

My whole experience with CGC started a couple of years ago with this uninformed purchase of Flash 123...

123.jpg

55-1.jpg

About a year later I finally called CGC to ask what they meant by 'cover reinforced with glue' and I was told that it was probably in the spine area.

So that led me to believe that, just as stated, the cover was being reinforced with glue to prevent it from detaching or tearing. Because of that, it was given the Restored label.

Now I just sold this copy of More Fun 74:

mf74.jpg

mf74bk.jpg

... Old tape on the spine, edges and interior but a Universal label.

This is a copy of Sensation Comics 12 that I own:

Sensation12.jpg

Sensation12bk.jpg

... 10 total pieces of old tape from the outside to inside cover.

I bought this copy of Detective Comics form Richie Munchin (again a bit uniformed) and I wish I remembered how he described this book in terms of 'conservation' and 'restoration'. Regardless, the tape looks to be new but the staples look replaced as well so I'm certain that this book would be considered restored in view by CGC.

Still... the purpose of the tape and staples was to keep the book intact.

Tec42.jpg

Tec42bk.jpg

I saw this book for sale here on the boards not that long ago and the label reads,

'Cover re-attached with tape. 8 (or 3?) pieces of tape on cover.

Action15detail.jpg

Again, a Universal label.

And then more recently I saw this one labeled,

'Cover re-attached with glue. (3 pieces of tape on spine of cover)

Action15ploddetail.jpg

So, I guess this is just the culmination of my confusion over the Restored label and I apologize if this was a bit overkill.

Just looking for opinions... :)

I think the Action Comics could have blue label cellophane tape but since it was re-attached with maybe more than just a little glue it got the PLOD. I think no matter what label a book gets it will always have a notation that there is tape on it.

Typically a small amount of glue, almost any amount of tape and small amount of color touch will render a universal grade for a book prior to 1950, from what I've seen. I haven't paid much attention, though, of the combination of them (especially glue and tape), but I wonder if the tape used on the Restored Action 15 is archival tape rather than run of the mill adhesive tape from the period.

Years ago I was told by CGC that the main reason why scotch type tape is not seen as restoration is based in the historical use of scotch tape on comics.

In the "old days" it was not uncommon for scotch tape to be used to by collectors to reinforce a weakened/torn areas. It was also used, even on new books, often around the staples, to prevent damage. Since this was a historical thing by collectors it would not be counted as restoration.

I remember there was a mail order guy from those ads in the comics in the 70s who used to put tape on a lot of his books. He would always state that tape is not a defect.

In the grading area I've seen a couple of detached cover books put up with people saying that (scotch) taping it up would improve the grade -- we're talking junkers, so from .5 to 1.0 or whatever "bump".

Is this the case? Does the tape have to be aged with the book

Well I'm glad that I'm not the only one that's a little perplexed over the tape and glue issue!

So if it is 'period' tape = Universal

If it is 'new' tape or archival tape = Restored

I'm guessing that this is where this is heading? :shrug:

And then if you have old 'period' tape and glue, well then the addition of the glue turns the Univeral book into a Restored book... :ohnoez:

Permutations and Combinations of these variables seem rather numerous and will probably result in different results.

I'm not sure about the new tape - I think new tape and old tape will be handled the same way, as long as it's not archival.

But I agree with you ... :ohnoez:

I remember there was a mail order guy from those ads in the comics in the 70s who used to put tape on a lot of his books. He would always state that tape is not a defect.

Are you thinking of Howard Rogofsky? As I recall, he also didn't consider a name written in ink on the cover as a defect. I believe, at least with his early catalogs, he didn't even grade the books he was selling.

Well I'm glad that I'm not the only one that's a little perplexed over the tape and glue issue!

So if it is 'period' tape = Universal

If it is 'new' tape or archival tape = Restored

I'm guessing that this is where this is heading? :shrug:

And then if you have old 'period' tape and glue, well then the addition of the glue turns the Univeral book into a Restored book... :ohnoez:

Hibou... great thread you started. Is it ok with you if I ask the following (I don't want to go too far off tangent. If I am let me know and I will edit/delete)?:

How does CGC handle tape removed from a comic book? Is that considered resto?