• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In what way(s) are you most OCD about your comic collection?

56 posts in this topic

I'm OCD about having complete runs and clean slabs. Combine that with the fact that I also keep all my slabs boxes in numeric order. I also keep spreadsheets of everything I own with slab numbers, cover dates, grades, etc. I like to keep everything in order :pullhair:

Glad to see like-minded folk here.

First thing is cataloging. They must be added to the list!

And of course the bagging, boarding, chronology etc.

Annuals have always caused me issues. I don't like them because in a box of say ASM's they need to go at the back of the main run, but this would mean having Annual 1 behind the latest issue. I don't like that but what else can you do?

You can't put it where it was chronologically released (between 16/17 or whatever) as that would break up two runs and that would be :screwy:

Giant Size Marvels cause the same dilemma. Do you put them at the back of the main issues run or under G ? I tend to put them behind the main title but then Giant Size Superstars is kinda GS FF 1 so it goes with the GS FF's but really it's GS SS so that solution isn't perfect either. :pullhair:

90% of my comics are Marvel and like others I like a box for each title but I have lots of junk that I only have 2 or 3 issues of so these get lumped together which isn't ideal. Alpha Flight then Amazing Adventures. Copper next to Bronze doesn't sit easy with me but I will not split into 'age' boxes and that would lead to more confusion (where would the cut offs be?)

And on it goes...

I also have lots of other non comic OCD symptoms. I teach people about mental illness but I am not OCD as it doesn't impact on my life adversely - mainly because I structure my life around my obsessions and compulsions and nobody can stop me :D

Neil

Annuals have always caused me issues. I don't like them because in a box of say ASM's they need to go at the back of the main run, but this would mean having Annual 1 behind the latest issue. I don't like that but what else can you do?

You can't put it where it was chronologically released (between 16/17 or whatever) as that would break up two runs and that would be :screwy:

Giant Size Marvels cause the same dilemma. Do you put them at the back of the main issues run or under G ? I tend to put them behind the main title but then Giant Size Superstars is kinda GS FF 1 so it goes with the GS FF's but really it's GS SS so that solution isn't perfect either. :pullhair:

90% of my comics are Marvel and like others I like a box for each title but I have lots of junk that I only have 2 or 3 issues of so these get lumped together which isn't ideal. Alpha Flight then Amazing Adventures. Copper next to Bronze doesn't sit easy with me but I will not split into 'age' boxes and that would lead to more confusion (where would the cut offs be?)

And on it goes...

I also have lots of other non comic OCD symptoms. I teach people about mental illness but I am not OCD as it doesn't impact on my life adversely - mainly because I structure my life around my obsessions and compulsions and nobody can stop me :D

Neil

Oh, I DEFINITELY suffer from "full blown" OCD. I'm even on Paxil to curb it a bit. But, luckily, even though it's often been a nuisance to varying degrees throughout my life, I've never suffered from it's effects to the point where it's been debilitating.

Sure, I have my own weird little counting routines, random thoughts & quirks because of it, but thankfully they don't run or ruin my life like they can to those who suffer from severe OCD.

You know, those plagued by endless counting, thoughts that consume them non-stop for days on end or can't allow themselves get too far away from a sink for fear their hands will get dirty. Those unfortunate individuals are the ones for whom being obsessive compulsive is a true disorder...

Though, even though my wife is usually really cool when it comes to dealing with my OCD, she also doesn't let me get TOO proud of myself by reminding me that my issues have an effect on the rest of our family. Like when I hold dinner ( or breakfast or lunch ) up because I won't allow any food prep to take place until ALL the dirty dishes that there may be in the sink are washed. Or when I have to make certain that the living room is JUST so & the rug vacuumed before we can sit down & watch television.

And ( Freak alert! lol ) ESPECIALLY when, no matter how spontaneous we may be being, I stop to fold my clothes before we make love.

And on it goes...

Neil

Oh, I DEFINITELY suffer from "full blown" OCD. I'm even on Paxil to curb it a bit. But, luckily, even though it's often been a nuisance to varying degrees throughout my life, I've never suffered from it's effects to the point where it's been debilitating.

Sure, I have my own weird little counting routines, random thoughts & quirks because of it, but thankfully they don't run or ruin my life like they can to those who suffer from severe OCD.

You know, those plagued by endless counting, thoughts that consume them non-stop for days on end or can't allow themselves get too far away from a sink for fear their hands will get dirty. Those unfortunate individuals are the ones for whom being obsessive compulsive is a true disorder...

Though, even though my wife is usually really cool when it comes to dealing with my OCD, she also doesn't let me get TOO proud of myself by reminding me that my issues have an effect on the rest of our family. Like when I hold dinner ( or breakfast or lunch ) up because I won't allow any food prep to take place until ALL the dirty dishes that there may be in the sink are washed. Or when I have to make certain that the living room is JUST so & the rug vacuumed before we can sit down & watch television.

And ( Freak alert! lol ) ESPECIALLY when, no matter how spontaneous we may be being, I stop to fold my clothes before we make love.

Wrinkles are a freaking distraction. Knowing that your clothes are sitting on the floor getting all messed up after the hours of ironing to get them just right....I feel your pain...My biggest OCD moment is when i buy a book in hopes of flipping it and not being able to let it go. Thousands of my books were bought just to make a few bucks, but alas here they sit unsold, just because i can not bring myself to let them go..Everyday for years I have been saying I will start an auction on Ebay and let them go. Then I say, I will send them the CGC to get graded and then sell them.

Then when i get them back all nice and pretty in that plastic case after waiting 2 or 3 months, well lets just say they are still here. Maybe someday...................

Giant Size Marvels cause the same dilemma.

I feel your pain, it is annoying as helll!!

I can't settle to bed until the curtains are 'just so'

My wife has to clear everything off the bed before we retire for the night.

I count (mainly lampposts and road markings) - always in pairs.

I have a routine for every single thing I do.

I hate wrinkles and creases too.

I have intrusive thoughts.

I am constantly arranging and sorting and organising and straightening.

I panic and have high anxiety when others are 'making a mess' in the kitchen.

I have a wonderful wife who keeps me grounded. Just as well.

90% of my comics are Marvel and like others I like a box for each title but I have lots of junk that I only have 2 or 3 issues of so these get lumped together which isn't ideal. Alpha Flight then Amazing Adventures.

I found a way out of this hell, no more stray books. Either I have a complete series or a very large run or I don't own a single copy from that series. If I know I don't want the entire series (or will never be able to complete it) then I just sell or even give away all the issues of that particular series. That's why I don't own a single Tec or Action book :sumo: