• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Edgar Church art collection.

93 posts in this topic

1. I am starting this thread so you can see some of the art that was produced by Edgar Church himself. The earliest art I have in my collection from him is 1911, the newest is 1969. Church was born in 1888 & died in 1977.

church1.jpg

Here is another piece from 1918. Anybody remember meatless tuesday???

During World War I, the United States supplied its own food, and food to Britain, France and some of the other allies. Bad weather in 1916 and 1917 had an adverse effect on the food supple. President Wilson appointed Herbert Hoover as the head of the new Food Administration. Hoover applied a new concept of voluntary “Wheatless Mondays” and “meatless Tuesdays” While not official many parts of the country observed “Gasless Sundays””Sugarless Mondays”, “Meatless Tuesdays.” “wheatless Wednesdays, Porkless Fridays, and two meal Saturdays.

Also from 1918, this is one of the largest paintings by Edgar Church. It is simple, yet to me there is something about it that captivates me.

church5.jpg

I like this one, too :)

wow...very cool...

little sidenote west, when you cut and paste the photobucket link, you don't need to manually type in the ......it is part of the link

that said, post more (thumbs u

This one is from 1912 so Church was 24 when he did it.

church4.jpg

Thanks a lot for sharing these. When I first started getting into US comics, I remember reading various articles about the find of the Church collection stating that he "seemed to have had trouble drawing human figures". I always found it strange that someone would make sweeping criticisms like that without actually sharing artwork to illustrate the point. Something didn't sit right with me: as if an opinion was being forced upon me without giving me the opportunity to judge for myself. Perhaps it's just me, but I felt instinctively that when you just made the most profitable comics related deal of the century, the least you could do to the owner's legacy would be to give a fair review of his own artwork. The drawing above certainly doesn't suggest any particular difficulty drawing human figures to me - in fact it looks quite beautiful.

I really appreciate your motivation behind collecting and sharing these originals: it's a nice, right, and very sympathetic thing to do.

That's a beautifully designed card.

Thanks for sharing the images. (thumbs u

Many of the pieces I have from Edgar Church have his business card attached to the back of the them. Here is one of them from 1940.

church7c.jpg

7. Most of the art Edgar Church did was for his job as an artist for the telephone book company of Denver. Here is one of the advertisements he created for the Livingston Bakery.

church9.jpg

8. As mentioned before, Edgar Church was also trying to be a comic book & comic strip artist. This is probably the 1st comic strip Church did in 1911.

church16.jpg